January 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
DoctorMu

When I was a kid, before we move to NC, we lived outside Chicago. In one of the severe weather events, a twister went over our hose, but fortunately didn't touch down completely. It did blow down a chimney two doors down. We were hunkered down in the basement with our mom. Pretty serious stuff.

I hope there are no fatalities and folks can rebuild quickly.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Been checking in with my Mom in Deer Park. Her apartment complex is damaged and obviously no power.
Attachments
IMG_9437.jpg
IMG_7248.jpg
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
don

Cpv17 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:30 pm I honestly thought there would be more tornadoes across the area today but it seems as if that one tornado made up for the lack of others. I’ve still yet to see a tornado in my life.
There was another confirmed tornado in Eagle Lake.And there are other reports of minor damage in areas outside of east Harris county.Wouldn't be surprised if there was a couple of more,as these tornadoes were mainly rain wrapped.So will have to wait till damage surveys are done to know for sure how many there were.

Remember your chances of seeing a tornado even on a high risk day are statistically small.
Cpv17

don wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:44 pm
Cpv17 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:30 pm I honestly thought there would be more tornadoes across the area today but it seems as if that one tornado made up for the lack of others. I’ve still yet to see a tornado in my life.
There was another confirmed tornado in Eagle Lake.And there are other reports of minor damage in areas outside of east Harris county.Wouldn't be surprised if there was a couple of more,as these tornadoes were mainly rain wrapped.So will have to wait till damage surveys are done to know for sure how many there were.

Remember your chances of seeing a tornado even on a high risk day are statistically small.
It just seems like there were more severe thunderstorm warnings than tornado warnings. Wharton County was under two severe thunderstorm warnings today but I don’t ever recall a tornado warning issued here. I’m not complaining, though. Too many populated areas around here. Never want to see damage to property like that.
Stratton20

The only time ive ever seen a tornado was about 6-7 years ago and it was at night, and i only saw it because the lightning flash showed some of the funnel, I dont think storm chasers get nearly enough respect for just how dangerous of a job they have, reed timmer was on the scene again
dp6

Looks like at least an 18-mile damage path for this tornado, from Beamer Place apartments/Beverly Hills Intermediate School (west of Beltway 8 & I-45) all the way to W. Cedar Bayou-Lynchburg Rd in Baytown (southwest of the Baytown mall). May trace back further southwest to Southbluff near Blackhawk.
don

From Jeff Lindner
SE Harris County Tornado Update:
A significant long tracked tornado has impacted portions of SE Harris County. Doppler radar track velocity rotation indicates a possible track of some 30 miles from NE of Pearland to Baytown with heavy impacts in the cities of Pasadena and Deer Park and Baytown. Significant damage has occurred to many structures, gas lines, and power distribution lines. A large emergency response is underway in these areas and will be for much of the evening. The first ever tornado emergency for Harris County was issued at 224pm for SE Harris County.

NWS damage assessment teams will deploy tomorrow to determine the length, track, size, and intensity of this tornado, any comments on intensity are premature at this time.

Forecast For Emergency Response (SE Harris County)

All rainfall has ended. NW/W winds overnight of 15-25mph with temperatures falling into the 40’s.

Sunny skies on Wednesday with NW/N winds 10-15mph and temperatures in the mid to upper 50’s.

Fair weather will be in place through Friday.
Houstonkid

srainhoutx wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:43 pm Been checking in with my Mom in Deer Park. Her apartment complex is damaged and obviously no power.
Is this top pic real? It’s the only pic I’ve seen of this twister after watching 2 hours or news and too much time on social media…. I saw this same pic on another website…..surely someone else hit pics of it? My questioning is also because at my location 290/Tidwell it was so dark all day that a tornado seemed like it would have maybe been rain wrapped also??
vci_guy2003

looks pretty fake to me
djmike

I was going to say the same. I haven’t seen a single tornado from tonight’s storm posted anywhere and THAT would definitely be shown if it was a tornado captured from todays storms. Jmo…
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
  • Information