July 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
user:null

Sooo, I saw some AFD from Brownsville and Corpus that stated that the system responsible for rain across the area is still off the South Texas/Mexican Border. Depending on how things progress overnight, we could have one last chance of widerspread convection Friday before things go more isolated over the weekend.

The ridge is coming back next week, but may not be near as bad as June if weaknesses/breaks keep coming through as model runs have been advertising.
Rip76

I spy ARIZONA.
;)
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Picked up .76" of rain and the year is very happy.
Stratton20

user:null definitely like what i see in the operational GFS and Euro runs, they both build the death ridge more over nevada/ arizona, and SE texas stays on the periphery of the high, and even when it builds east eventually on the models, we stay only on the fringes of the ridge and not directly under neath it , perhaps allowing at least a daily 20-30% of afternoon storms for the next few weeks
Also it appears the death ridge is more elongated
Last edited by Stratton20 on Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorMu

We just saw an impressive overflow. The second wave appears to be dying.
0.7 inch of rain. Much better than the usual nothing.
DoctorMu

Almost unanimity among ensembles and models that the DR next week will be elongated and just south of us. 20-30% change of rain with easterlies is not a bad guess.
don

1-3 inch rainfall amounts across most of Harris county today. I picked up about 1 inch here.There were areas though that didn't see much of anything today.Hopefully those areas receive some rain tomorrow.

caen5vas.png
Cromagnum

Got 1.25 today and added to the 1.5 from the other day I'm sitting better. Would still like another 2-3 days just like this.
jasons2k

Fun fact: the official climate observations for the City of Houston was changed from Hobby to IAH in June of 1969.

Hobby hasn’t been the official recording site for the city in over 40 years.

Have a nice day everyone and hopefully we get more rain out of this much-needed break.

PS - got .59” yesterday
Last edited by jasons2k on Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasons2k wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:52 am Fun fact: the official climate observations for the City of Houston was changed from Hobby to IAH in June of 1969.

Yes, this is true. I guess what I meant more in my prior comments was that Hobby was the closest airport to truly dense, most-walkable and urbanized/central city ("Inner Loop"), and, thus, most reflective compared to IAH and others that are farther away in suburbia.
don

Another wave of rain moving north.Have to see if we get more development with the heating of the day or not.
Attachments
canjvas.png
jasons2k

user:null wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:09 am
jasons2k wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:52 am Fun fact: the official climate observations for the City of Houston was changed from Hobby to IAH in June of 1969.

Yes, this is true. I guess what I meant more in my prior comments was that Hobby was the closest airport to truly dense, most-walkable and urbanized/central city ("Inner Loop"), and, thus, most reflective compared to IAH and others that are farther away in suburbia.
The observations will vary based on a number of factors. Hobby is closer to the Gulf and Galveston Bay so is subject to more sea breezes earlier in the day than IAH. In the summer it can have a significant effect on temperatures and where afternoon storms pop-up. The area around IAH is pretty developed now so the difference in concrete is less of a factor now.

This problem isn’t unique to Houston. Several large cities/metro areas have had their official reporting stations move locations over the years. Those are often at airports located near large bodies of water, along the coast, in valleys, or way out in the sticks (Denver) where there is nothing else but the airport. These affect the observations, sometimes significantly. That was more the case for IAH back in the 70’s but not nearly as much today.

Anyway, all that to say, with Houston being such a large city, either Hobby or IAH may be a better representative of your local climate depending on where you live in the city.

For me, it’s usually a blend of IAH and Tomball Airport. I sometimes factor in Conroe but for morning lows it’s useless because it sits in a bowl. West Conroe sits on a ridge and is frequently warmer than the Conroe Airport and even points south but it’s still “Conroe.” My home sits on a small ridge as well so my wintertime lows tend to stay up more than my immediate surroundings.

Lots of factors to consider depending on the situation.

jasons2k wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:38 amThe observations will vary based on a number of factors. Hobby is closer to the Gulf and Galveston Bay so is subject to more sea breezes earlier in the day than IAH. In the summer it can have a significant effect on temperatures and where afternoon storms pop-up. The area around IAH is pretty developed now so the difference in concrete is less of a factor now.

This problem isn’t unique to Houston. Several large cities/metro areas have had their official reporting stations move locations over the years. Those are often at airports located near large bodies of water, along the coast, in valleys, or way out in the sticks (Denver) where there is nothing else but the airport. These affect the observations, sometimes significantly. That was more the case for IAH back in the 70’s but not nearly as much today.

Anyway, all that to say, with Houston being such a large city, either Hobby or IAH may be a better representative of your local climate depending on where you live in the city.

For me, it’s usually a blend of IAH and Tomball Airport. I sometimes factor in Conroe but for morning lows it’s useless because it sits in a bowl. West Conroe sits on a ridge and is frequently warmer than the Conroe Airport and even points south but it’s still “Conroe.” My home sits on a small ridge as well so my wintertime lows tend to stay up more than my immediate surroundings.

Good points. Especially the local geography regarding Conroe, that has been well-noted by many meteorologists, as well as enthusiasts on PalmTalk discussion their microclimates for tropicals.
jasons2k

Seriously?!?!
Attachments
IMG_5128.jpeg
DoctorMu

don wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:34 am Another wave of rain moving north.Have to see if we get more development with the heating of the day or not.
We just saw a brief shower. I'll take it!
Rip76

jasons2k wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:35 amSeriously?!?!
Seems personal.
:)
Stratton20

Unfortunately seems like that blob of convection just offshore of the texas coast is going to stay offshore, coverage looks to be a lot less widespread today
DoctorMu

There should be a second seabreeze wave later this afternoon, I-10, NW Harris Co. We'll see.
jasons2k

DoctorMu wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:28 pm There should be a second seabreeze wave later this afternoon, I-10, NW Harris Co. We'll see.
Yeah it’s back up to 91 here. We’ll see what the late afternoon has in store.
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:38 am
user:null wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:09 am

The observations will vary based on a number of factors. Hobby is closer to the Gulf and Galveston Bay so is subject to more sea breezes earlier in the day than IAH. In the summer it can have a significant effect on temperatures and where afternoon storms pop-up. The area around IAH is pretty developed now so the difference in concrete is less of a factor now.

Our airport sits on a ridge next to the university that has a lot of concrete, but not right next to the airport. Anyway, out lows in the winter can be 1-2° lower on winter nights and summer days as well - we're closer to woods and farms and away from downtown or the university.
  • Information