August 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
MontgomeryCoWx

tireman4 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:08 pm Fun fact, Average high this month..102.6...yea!
As I said on the other thread….: Summer sucks and it’s the worst season by far. Not close!
Team #NeverSummer
Pas_Bon

I came to Shreveport this weekend and believe me, it is ^%#*ing hot as Hell here. And dry

My entire drive from League City to Shreveport was parched/scorched grass along the highway. It’s depressing. I hate it.
MontgomeryCoWx

Pas_Bon wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:37 pm I came to Shreveport this weekend and believe me, it is ^%#*ing hot as Hell here. And dry

My entire drive from League City to Shreveport was parched/scorched grass along the highway. It’s depressing. I hate it.
My favorite dump to go visit when in HS. I grew up in Longview and often found myself in the Cub in S’port hustling pool and darts at 16-18 ….. 😂
Team #NeverSummer
davidiowx

We could see the hottest temps we’ve seen since the 1900s tomorrow. Forecast high is like 107… This damn HP needs to GTFOH already.
Cpv17

davidiowx wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:49 pm We could see the hottest temps we’ve seen since the 1900s tomorrow. Forecast high is like 107… This damn HP needs to GTFOH already.
It could possibly get even hotter towards the end of this coming week.. all-time high temp records could be challenged. That’s just mind boggling.
user:null

Some of these models have mixing issues that result in surface heat bias. Certain runs showing extreme heat (record-breaking) should be tossed unless supported by ensembles, mesocales, etc.
DoctorMu

Man, we hit an 81°F dewpoint and 103°F around Kansas City.

We stopped at a BBQ place in KC and just made it - it was so hot inside the hole in the wall restaurant and the A/C was giving up. Filled with smoke and probably 110°F+ inside, but we were able to retrieve pork and beef BBQ sandwiches and hit the road. Some of the best BBQ beans with smoked beef. Killer stuff.

We're in Joplin and it will be 103° here. 108°F in CS. It's green, but the yellow brown burnt grasslands will hit us south of the Ouachita foothills and all the way into BCS. It's very dumb beginning A&M a week early. A brutal week ahead!

I'm expecting cow skulls and tumbleweeds at the rate things are going.

I love my work, but this weather has me pondering retirement on the horizon for the first time. I looked into moving a few years ago to NC, VA, or MO and more temperate climates but it didn't pan out.

Forget the tropical disturbance: it looks like the models still agree with some atmospheric moisture moving in end of next week Fri-Sat. Quite some qpf generated as a result.
Rip76

Hell, I just want a little cloud cover for a day.
Cromagnum

davidiowx wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:49 pm We could see the hottest temps we’ve seen since the 1900s tomorrow. Forecast high is like 107… This damn HP needs to GTFOH already.
If someone complains about any cold later this year, I may just punch them in the mouth. There is no effing way anyone can enjoy what we have now.

In other news, chance of rain for Tuesday down to 40% from 60%, and I think even that is probably too high.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, our MUD is under Stage 1 Water Restrictions. It will get worse before it gets better, I fear
MontgomeryCoWx

I feel for you all in MUDs and then there’s the people not under a electricity contract who are about to get pummeled, but I can’t feel too sorry because they didn’t do it when they had an option to.
Team #NeverSummer
Cpv17

At this point I’d be perfectly fine with a 20” Cat 1.

Cromagnum wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:32 amIf someone complains about any cold later this year, I may just punch them in the mouth. There is no effing way anyone can enjoy what we have now.
Well, it depends.

In terms of singular days, the 100°F+ temps are not as bad as even light (~32°F) freezes, let alone colder temps. There are a number of "ultratropical" species, for example, that can't even handle singular instance of temps below 50°F for long, let alone freezing. Meanwhile, even boreal forest areas can deal with 100°F+ temps (see: Yakutsk).

The heat is only problematic when it's like we are experiencing now: prolonged and with drought. But even hot deserts still have loads more biodiversity compared to areas of sustained freezing cold (i.e. tundras and icecaps).

In otherwords, cold provides far more limits to biodiversity than heat.
jasons2k

Cromagnum wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:32 am
If someone complains about any cold later this year, I may just punch them in the mouth. There is no effing way anyone can enjoy what we have now.

In other news, chance of rain for Tuesday down to 40% from 60%, and I think even that is probably too high.
Haha you can count on me complaining once we get below freezing.

Remember a couple of months ago - I said no complaining this summer after that nice long, mild, wet spring? Well yeah I didn’t expect this summer to be like this. Geez.

I’m disappointed in Tuesday’s disturbance. I was hoping for at least something. This is just torture.
jasons2k

As hot as it is, I was still outside almost all day yesterday. Would not be the case with 40 degrees and a stiff north wind, no way Jose.

Cpv17 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:40 am At this point I’d be perfectly fine with a 20” Cat 1.
I'd even take a Harvey-encore over this. Or, if that is too intense, at least an Allison/Beta/Imelda/Nicholas.

Regardless, I still think we see at least some good isolated storms Monday and Tuesday ... if not outright healthy rainbainds sweeping through. Mesocales like the 06z NAM3k and WRF show good outcomes all things considered (because, honestly, even the South Texas totals from this thing are starting to look more sparse).
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:46 am As hot as it is, I was still outside almost all day yesterday. Would not be the case with 40 degrees and a stiff north wind, no way Jose.
That’s because you’ve lived in the south for probably your whole life. You’re used to the heat. I’m the same way but I still love my cold weather extremes. Yeah it’s painful but I still love it. Just can’t stay outside for very long.
jasons2k

Cpv17 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:10 am
jasons2k wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:46 am As hot as it is, I was still outside almost all day yesterday. Would not be the case with 40 degrees and a stiff north wind, no way Jose.
That’s because you’ve lived in the south for probably your whole life. You’re used to the heat. I’m the same way but I still love my cold weather extremes. Yeah it’s painful but I still love it. Just can’t stay outside for very long.
Coldest place I’ve ever lived was Lubbock for 4 years while attending Tech. That was enough for me. The wind was relentless.

One cold snap - it got so cold my tires lost pressure and deflated and my radiator froze-up. No thank you, never again.
Cromagnum

Cpv17 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:10 am
I've been in Houston or College Station for 42 years and I still think this is pretty unbearable.
  • Information