August 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
sswinney

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:03 pm
sswinney wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:45 pm Who thinks we have to kill ourselves? We can do meaningful, productive, and economical changes. What I dislike about this debate is one side believes it’s “let’s do nothing because other countries aren’t”. A 10% in reduction is still reduction. Do that enough times it becomes 100%. Change should happen just to better the planet not because industry X will go out of business or country A is getting richer because they don’t care about pollution. We can make changes and do so in a sustainable way.

Media isn’t brainwashing people (well most reliable journalists aren’t). They are giving reports about journals that are written by scientists that are peer reviewed. There have been sensationalized movies but movies are supposed to be works of sensational fiction. Journalist by and large aren’t “green communists”. I understand how MontgomeryCoWx is on his side of the argument because he has vested interested in O&G. For full transparency, I work in the environmental industry, I also have a vested interest. It’s ok to be passionate one way or the other but I think we can all agree we can do better for the planet.
I don’t work in the O&G industry. I work in the power distribution industry. I have O&G clients. I have solar clients. I have wind clients. I have nuclear clients. I have backup battery storage clients. I have Private Equity portfolio managers as clients who look at ESG.

I have no skin in one vertical over the other. I am also a political independent but very free market. I call Democrats and Republicans what they are in 2023. Communists and Nationalists. Ds aren’t liberal and Rs aren’t conservative anymore. One is extremely authoritarian and common senseless and the other is a populist hodgepodge of people who don’t have sound principles anymore.
I stand corrected and I’m sorry about making inferences from your previous posts. I still think we can do sustainable actions to improve our environmental stewardship. There are a lot of companies that do this and still have great financials.
Been here for years since Katrina.
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:52 am
DoctorMu wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:36 am
MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:29 pm

I read a book about the 1850s. Apparently it was a scorcher decade that would make even todays standards blush per records kept, but they weren’t official records, so they don’t get talked about.

The arrogance of todays society that they think we can control heat and/or cold. SMH.

Mother Nature going to Mother Nature.
We don't - it's not on purpose, but CO2 does what it does.
And it’s not “arrogance”.

Fly over South Louisiana and try to say that man can’t do that. What total nonsense.

Most climate scientists are very humble human beings doing their life’s passion. What is that supposed to even mean?

What’s “arrogant” are oil and gas companies paying people good money to spin their products are perfectly safe when the preponderance of evidence proves otherwise. They are intentionally duping the uneducated. That’s arrogance.

It’s like The Insider all over again.

Right. When I lived in Louisiana in the 80s the state had a lot more land and we measured CO2 in the atmosphere (330 ppm)

Keep in mind that tiny blue green algae (cyanobacteria) probably supplied much of the oxygen in our atmosphere a billion+ years ago.

As the Earth has cooled and dried over the last 60M and especially the last 5-10M it set up unstable ice caps. The cycles that produce ice ages and thaws are from our perspective "slow," taking thousands of years. By cranking up CO2 (and some methane) in the troposphere through emissions coupled with razing tropical rainforests speeds up the thawing process. The Earth has been hotter. Much hotter. And the Earth has had numerous mass extinctions to to cold (snowball earth), heart, meteor, unknown. The Earth will survive but there is a ris of substantial extinctions, wars, flooding, etc.

CO2 (and methane) put their thumb on the scale of all weather events. They have a long half-life in the atmosphere. CO2 is distributed homogenously in the atmosphere. We measure the same #s in that Antarctic as near the top of Mauna Loa.

Oceans will continue to rise, ocean currents *could* change dramatically. People assume that nature is made mostly of negative feedback cycles, like we were (incorrectly) taught in HS biology. However, as any engineer would recognize, there are a lot of positive feedback cycles built into the Earth and nature. Good news - we've overestimated the effect of increasing water vapor because of the short half-life and heterogeneous distribution. Bad news - However, we underestimated the positive feedback of decreasing albedo. Melting glaciers and snow reveal darker ground underneath that accelerates warming, especially in higher latitudes.

We expect that cc will actually increase shear, mitigating an increase in the # of hurricanes, but it's definitely turbocharging tropical cyclones in conditions conducive to formation. The # of CAT4 and CAT5 hurricanes in the Atlantic Basin is on the rise.

Some short term good news! This year's heat dome with the El Nino flip is a turbocharged 1998 anomaly over a higher baseline. Next summer should be a lot better/more normal.
Attachments
Five_Myr_Climate_Change.png
d912e7b40d4cc0893a81504a186bb435.png.jpeg
MontgomeryCoWx

sswinney wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:08 pm
sswinney wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:45 pm Who thinks we have to kill ourselves? We can do meaningful, productive, and economical changes. What I dislike about this debate is one side believes it’s “let’s do nothing because other countries aren’t”. A 10% in reduction is still reduction. Do that enough times it becomes 100%. Change should happen just to better the planet not because industry X will go out of business or country A is getting richer because they don’t care about pollution. We can make changes and do so in a sustainable way.

Media isn’t brainwashing people (well most reliable journalists aren’t). They are giving reports about journals that are written by scientists that are peer reviewed. There have been sensationalized movies but movies are supposed to be works of sensational fiction. Journalist by and large aren’t “green communists”. I understand how MontgomeryCoWx is on his side of the argument because he has vested interested in O&G. For full transparency, I work in the environmental industry, I also have a vested interest. It’s ok to be passionate one way or the other but I think we can all agree we can do better for the planet.
I don’t work in the O&G industry. I work in the power distribution industry. I have O&G clients. I have solar clients. I have wind clients. I have nuclear clients. I have backup battery storage clients. I have Private Equity portfolio managers as clients who look at ESG.

I have no skin in one vertical over the other. I am also a political independent but very free market. I call Democrats and Republicans what they are in 2023. Communists and Nationalists. Ds aren’t liberal and Rs aren’t conservative anymore. One is extremely authoritarian and common senseless and the other is a populist hodgepodge of people who don’t have sound principles anymore.
I stand corrected and I’m sorry about making inferences from your previous posts. I still think we can do sustainable actions to improve our environmental stewardship. There are a lot of companies that do this and still have great financials.

I don’t disagree with what you posted and I’ve never said I don’t believe in alternative forms. The reality is this energy transition is being done very poorly and at breakneck speed and I haven’t gotten into the supply chains of renewables and how they are a gigantic national security risk. Man, if any of y’all ever want to sit down for a bourbon or 8, I can walk you through my thoughts and I’m happy to hear yours.

I think I stated this before and Jason agreed, but we aren’t a serious country. If we were, we would have gone full nuclear 2-3 decades ago. Instead we have clown show after clown show walk through the White House the last 30 years.

Our Govt and Media are not on the side of the middle class and small business owner. That is very obvious to me today.
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

Clean energy was the fastest growing job sector a few years ago. China took the mantle, but because they used the wrong (traditional dead, weakened virus) COVID vaccine, their economy is stumbling toward a Japan-like stagnation.

I wish we had committed much more to nuclear 20-30 years ago. It's going to take 20-30 more years to develop and transition to fusion, with support of other clean fuel sources.

We don't have quite the infrastructure for refueling yet and prices are still high, but the efficiency and power on the EVs (Tesla) is ridiculous. Even the lower end Model 3 is 0-60mph in 3.5 sec. Very few moving parts.

I agree with CoCo's assessment of the current political mess.
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:16 pm

I don’t disagree with what you posted and I’ve never said I don’t believe in alternative forms. The reality is this energy transition is being done very poorly and at breakneck speed and I haven’t gotten into the supply chains of renewables and how they are a gigantic national security risk. Man, if any of y’all ever want to sit down for a bourbon or 8, I can walk you through my thoughts and I’m happy to hear yours.

I think I stated this before and Jason agreed, but we aren’t a serious country. If we were, we would have gone full nuclear 2-3 decades ago. Instead we have clown show after clown show walk through the White House the last 30 years.

Our Govt and Media are not on the side of the middle class and small business owner. That is very obvious to me today.
We're putting the cart before the horse. We have to commit the science and infrastructure to developing fusion, fission, and supporting clean energy first...before business will make the proper business decisions. Starting with businesses first, especially the small and mid-caps is back@$$wards.

It takes a new "man on the Moon" commitment.

Satellite TV, cell phones, interwebz, microcomputers, fuel cells, air purifiers, long-lasting batteries, GPS, image processing, monitors/TV...the world we live in was made possible through NASA and space exploration.

When humans have to problem solve their way out of a corner, great things happen.

But you have to have innovation and commercialization first before regulation.
MontgomeryCoWx

DoctorMu wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:57 pm

We're putting the cart before the horse. We have to commit the science and infrastructure to developing fusion, fission, and supporting clean energy first...before business will make the proper business decisions. Starting with businesses first, especially the small and mid-caps is back@$$wards.

Satellite TV, cell phones, interwebz, microcomputers, fuel cells, air purifiers, long-lasting batteries, GPS, image processing, monitors/TV...the world we live in was made possible through NASA and space exploration.

When humans have to problem solve their way out of a corner, great things happen.

Correct statement.
Team #NeverSummer
MontgomeryCoWx

Y’all … college football is on. Screw this discussion. It’s time to drink some drinks and watch the best part of the year kick off! :D
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:05 pm

Correct statement.
Yeah - it sickens me that NASA funding is in jeopardy again.
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:05 pm Y’all … college football is on. Screw this discussion. It’s time to drink some drinks and watch the best part of the year kick off! :D
Amen. TG. A nice cool, rainy day in Dublin...and I have to imagine about this type of weather in SETX again, also I suspect we'll see a lot of it this El Nino winter.

Our son was in the Georgia Tech band when GT played Boston College a few years ago. A great tradition that I hope continues.

Go Navy!
Last edited by DoctorMu on Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MontgomeryCoWx

DoctorMu wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:09 pm

Correct statement.

Yep, this current administration may be the most unserious group of them all. Just a **** show.

Go Navy! Beat the Irish!
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:11 pm

Correct statement.

Yep, this current administration may be the most unserious group of them all. Just a **** show.

Go Navy! Beat the Irish!
That's largely Congress with the purse strings, but someone in the admin. has to step up.
sswinney

Give the ball to Estime all day! Go Irish!
Been here for years since Katrina.
MontgomeryCoWx

DoctorMu wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:13 pm

Go Navy! Beat the Irish!
That's largely Congress with the purse strings, but someone in the admin. has to step up.

NASA is a tertiary bucket for the appropriators. The old saying “**** flows downhill” applies to this. When you have an administration who wants to overspend on asinine things that are in primary and secondary buckets, your appropriators in Congress are going to hit the tertiary budgets next.

You can’t really fault them. We need to cut about 80% of those primary and secondary buckets spending. Spending on unncessary things and on symptoms (not root causes) is our problem, not revenue.
Team #NeverSummer
MontgomeryCoWx

Notre Dame on one TV and Needville on the other. Good Saturday to be inside and cook up some Football watching food.
Team #NeverSummer
Rip76

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:28 pm Notre Dame on one TV and Needville on the other. Good Saturday to be inside and cook up some Football watching food.
Current situation
jasons2k

Just have to point out, this is one of the best short summaries of the state 2023 politics I think I've ever read. I'm 100% right there with you on that.

I have a 60% chance of rain on Monday. That's something positive in the weather for a change.
user:null

Cromagnum wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:51 amShould we be good stewards of our planet? Abosolutely.
Indeed. And to truly do that, we'll definitely have to go against/replace "Mother Nature." That includes wiping out aging, disease, predation, and really all sorts of biological restrictions as we have them currentl.

Hence, even if climate cycles were "perfectly natural", we'd still have to deal with them if we want to "continue civilization" in the ways that we claim (or even progress beyond).

If it means having to rapidly furnish AI, nanotech, genetics, etc to create an immortal "Star Trek" future, then so be it. By that point, terraforming and resultant climate control (including preventing summer drought from ever happing in Texas) will be small potatoes.

Ensure that Ray Kurzweil's 2030 singularity arrives sooner rather than later.
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:21 pm
DoctorMu wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:13 pm

Go Navy! Beat the Irish!

NASA is a tertiary bucket for the appropriators. The old saying “**** flows downhill” applies to this. When you have an administration who wants to overspend on asinine things that are in primary and secondary buckets, your appropriators in Congress are going to hit the tertiary budgets next.

You can’t really fault them. We need to cut about 80% of those primary and secondary buckets spending. Spending on unncessary things and on symptoms (not root causes) is our problem, not revenue.
Yep - everyone is afraid to touch entitlements and defense.

Unfortunately, ND's line is too big. Navy had a chance to set themselves up in the red zone, but #89 crashed into his own receiver on the 4th down pass.
MontgomeryCoWx

user:null wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:49 pm
Cromagnum wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:51 amShould we be good stewards of our planet? Abosolutely.
Indeed. And to truly do that, we'll definitely have to go against/replace "Mother Nature." That includes wiping out aging, disease, predation, and really all sorts of biological restrictions as we have them currentl.

Hence, even if climate cycles were "perfectly natural", we'd still have to deal with them if we want to "continue civilization" in the ways that we claim (or even progress beyond).

If it means having to rapidly furnish AI, nanotech, genetics, etc to create an immortal "Star Trek" future, then so be it. By that point, terraforming and resultant climate control (including preventing summer drought from ever happing in Texas) will be small potatoes.

Ensure that Ray Kurzweil's 2030 singularity arrives sooner rather than later.
KurzWeil is nuts but he does have some poignant arguments in this regard
Team #NeverSummer
Cpv17

Models looking decent for you northerners tomorrow.
  • Information