March 2024

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
MontgomeryCoWx

Another quarter inch here
Team #NeverSummer
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:23 pm Selection Sunday. Ready to digest the bubble carnage from yesterday!
Both of my teams ( North Carolina Central University and Liberty) flamed out in the conference tournaments, so I will be pulling for everyone!.

Rain on its way in the Metro area
Attachments
KHGX_loop.gif
TexasBreeze

Must be stable in the center of the area cause it seems to fall apart as it rolls in each time.
Cpv17

I’m now up to 3.6” total. Don’t need anymore here. We’re good! Should help out the dewberries.
Stratton20

and the storms fell apart yet again on my door step, what a joke
captainbarbossa19

Back in Mississippi today. I'm liking the overall pattern setting up for us now heading towards April. The Euro and GFS continue to show an active subtropical jet over our area. In fact, they both show a jet streak on top of us setting up for next weekend. System on Thursday looks less impressive, as the shortwave coming in is weaker now, but that is ok since a lot of us need to actually dry out just a little. Important thing is that the storm track is further south than normal which should result in a continued unsettled weather pattern each week.
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:23 pm Selection Sunday. Ready to digest the bubble carnage from yesterday!
Bubble carnage looks like the radar right now. We just got 90 sec. of rain.

A few of the cells could pack a punch, but it is hit and miss.
don

Cpv17 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:37 pm I’m now up to 3.6” total. Don’t need anymore here. We’re good! Should help out the dewberries.
Congrats! 😊
DoctorMu

captainbarbossa19 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:52 pm Back in Mississippi today. I'm liking the overall pattern setting up for us now heading towards April. The Euro and GFS continue to show an active subtropical jet over our area. In fact, they both show a jet streak on top of us setting up for next weekend. System on Thursday looks less impressive, as the shortwave coming in is weaker now, but that is ok since a lot of us need to actually dry out just a little. Important thing is that the storm track is further south than normal which should result in a continued unsettled weather pattern each week.
We do need a clear day on April 8. ;)
captainbarbossa19

DoctorMu wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:55 pm
captainbarbossa19 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:52 pm Back in Mississippi today. I'm liking the overall pattern setting up for us now heading towards April. The Euro and GFS continue to show an active subtropical jet over our area. In fact, they both show a jet streak on top of us setting up for next weekend. System on Thursday looks less impressive, as the shortwave coming in is weaker now, but that is ok since a lot of us need to actually dry out just a little. Important thing is that the storm track is further south than normal which should result in a continued unsettled weather pattern each week.
I saw a few weeks ago someone or some company attempting to forecast cloud cover on that day. I'm sorry but if we can't accurately depict cloud cover on a daily forecast, there is no way we can remotely attempt to forecast cloud cover a month away from an event. Hopefully conditions are good for viewing the eclipse in Texas though. 8-)
DoctorMu

captainbarbossa19 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:59 pm
DoctorMu wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:55 pm
I saw a few weeks ago someone or some company attempting to forecast cloud cover on that day. I'm sorry but if we can't accurately depict cloud cover on a daily forecast, there is no way we can remotely attempt to forecast cloud cover a month away from an event. Hopefully conditions are good for viewing the eclipse in Texas though. 8-)
It's a crapshoot for sure. Historically, San Saba has an low average% of cloudy days - only 33% on 4/8. The HIll Country in general has a 40% chance of cloud cover in early April.
DoctorMu

DoctorMu wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:54 pm

I hope that cell near Austin has our name on it.

0.04 inches from the last cell. :lol:
MontgomeryCoWx

Aggie Dome skrong!

We picked up another tenth on some of those rogue cells.

Of course I was trying to finish a chicken coop because I got to pick up a dozen birds from the Houston rodeo tomorrow. They can free range for one night.
Team #NeverSummer
Cpv17

don wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:55 pm
Cpv17 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:37 pm I’m now up to 3.6” total. Don’t need anymore here. We’re good! Should help out the dewberries.
Congrats! 😊
Thanks! Up to 3.75” now. Maybe more on Thursday.
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:34 pm

Aggie Dome skrong!

We picked up another tenth on some of those rogue cells.

Of course I was trying to finish a chicken coop because I got to pick up a dozen birds from the Houston rodeo tomorrow. They can free range for one night.
Fittingly, the Austin cell has struck FTW. Probably the hardest rain rate of the year. But I expect the cell to blow past us in the next few minutes.
DoctorMu

Our weather station recorded a rate of 2.5 in/hour. It's too bad the storm cell won't dump on us for an hour, but we'll take it!
jasons2k

Still keep getting missed. This line formed just south of me 🤷‍♂️
Attachments
IMG_0665.png
Cromagnum

Managed 3 inches all said and done (2.3 of which fell Saturday at 4 AM)
MontgomeryCoWx

Give me more all month.

Tank stays full and veggies are happy.
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

0.64 inches today and 0.78 inches over the weekend. Good enough for now. We'll need at least that every week beginning in April.

It's that time of year. Survive and advance.

Congrats to those who saw a few inches of rain and replenished the reservoirs.
  • Information