May 2024

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Goomba

Cromagnum wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:48 am Obscene how the north side has gotten so much that it's going to flood people out of homes and it's bone dry south of I-10
Not in the Beaumont area. Areas south of I-10 have gotten a LOT of rain.
Cromagnum

Goomba wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:40 am
Cromagnum wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:48 am Obscene how the north side has gotten so much that it's going to flood people out of homes and it's bone dry south of I-10
Well, Beaumont is the rain capital of Texas as far as I can see.
Cpv17

Goomba wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:40 am
It doesn’t matter where you’re located around Beaumont, it’s gonna rain there regardless.
Pas_Bon

Beaumont is Dutch for "rain."

Kidding.
Goomba

It does rain here a lot, but I thought the Houston area got just as much, or at least similar.
TexasBreeze

It just won't stop raining up north! Everytime it seems to want to calm down, it builds more!
Cpv17

TexasBreeze wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:07 am It just won't stop raining up north! Everytime it seems to want to calm down, it builds more!
No kidding. There’s literally a purple cell on my radar app right now just north of Cleveland. Those poor people can’t catch a break. It’s incredible.
DoctorMu

Goomba wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:58 am It does rain here a lot, but I thought the Houston area got just as much, or at least similar.
Beaumont gets 65 in of rain/year like Louisiana.

IAH sees 51 inches/year. Hobby sees 55 inches/annum on average, Galveston sees 47 inches/year.

Moving SW or NW of Houston, things dry out fast as we enter transition zones. Katy averages 48 in/year

College Station averages 41 inches/year with nominal rain from mid June through mid to late August. West of CLL becomes more like a savannah with fewer and fewer trees/forests.

Victoria experiences 41 inches of rain/year with a nadir in August.

Austin averages 36 in/year with less rain in the summer.

Angleton averages 52 in/year. Can't tell you what is going on lately.
Last edited by DoctorMu on Fri May 03, 2024 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorMu

The Houston Chronicle headline today was about local flooding.
Goomba

DoctorMu wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:20 am
Goomba wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:58 am It does rain here a lot, but I thought the Houston area got just as much, or at least similar.
Beaumont gets 65 in of rain/year like Louisiana.

IAH sees 51 inches/year. Hobby sees 55 inches/annum on average, Galveston sees 47 inches/year.

Moving SW or NW of Houston, things dry out fast as we enter transition zones. Katy averages 48 in/year

College Station averages 41 inches/year with nominal rain from mid June through mid to late August. West of CLL becomes more like a savannah with fewer and fewer trees/forests.

Victoria experiences 41 inches of rain/year with a nadir in August.

Austin averages 36 in/year with less rain in the summer.

Angleton averages 52 in/year. Can't tell you what is going on lately.
Thanks for the great info!
Cromagnum

Northern zone keeps getting pummeled. Only a brief sprinkle here. I'm about to haul the sprinklers out.
don

Houston gets a lot of rain but Beaumont gets more.Though both the Houston metro area and the golden triangle are some of the wettest areas of the country overall.As most parts of the country get less than 40 inches of rain annually. There is also a tight gradient over the area and yearly rainfall amounts really start to fall down once you get into west Harris county (Katy area). While the eastern half of the county can sometimes be much wetter.
Pas_Bon

It’s, in substantial part, the lower latitude of the Houston metro area.
While only a few degrees difference, the lower latitude often precludes the southern reaches of some low pressure systems from the Midwest from reaching as far south as especially the coastal areas. There is a marked difference in relative humidity % between Houston and Beaumont/South Louisiana in general. Rule of thumb is you can usually take our humidity here and add about 10% on any given day to get the RH in Beaumont/Golden Triangle/South Louisiana
I was born and raised - and spent 33yrs of my life - in South Louisiana. It is much more humid there in general. You generally see higher actual temps in the Houston area, but with a bit less humidity (if that can be believed).
It's still hot as &#^$ here (and there) and I'm already counting the days to October.....especially with hurricane season closing in fast.
Last edited by Pas_Bon on Fri May 03, 2024 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Goomba

Thanks for all of the great information. I never actually looked into it. I just assumed that the Beaumont area and the Houston area received about the same amounts, sometimes one more than the other.
don

Pas_Bon wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:44 pm It’s, in large part, the latitude of the Houston metro area.
While only a few degrees difference, the lower latitude often precludes some low pressure systems from the Midwest from reaching as far south as especially the coastal areas. There is a marked difference in relative humidity % between Houston and Beaumont/South Louisiana in general. Rule of thumb is you can usually take our humidity here and add about 10% on any given day to get the RH in Beaumont/Golden Triangle/South Louisiana
I was born and raised - and spent 33yrs of my life - in South Louisiana. It is much more humid there in general.
The slope/angle of the coast also plays a big part,as the more east you go in SE Texas at the same latitude the closer you get to the Gulf.While Beaumont's latitude is farther north than Houston,its also closer to the gulf due to the angle of the Texas coast.I use to live in Louisiana also and Mississippi.Louisiana is the wettest part of the country outside of high mountain ranges.
Cpv17

Flash flood warning for NE Harris, SE Montgomery, and W Liberty counties has just been issued.
don

Goomba wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:57 pm Thanks for all of the great information. I never actually looked into it. I just assumed that the Beaumont area and the Houston area received about the same amounts, sometimes one more than the other.
That is true also,sometimes Houston sees a big flood and nothing happens in the Golden Triangle and vise versa.
Cpv17

The flood watch has been extended till Sunday at 1pm for the same areas that have been under the watch.
Stratton20

Hopefully the storms this morning can help to stabilize the atmosphere, those folks in our northern counties really need any break they can get
DoctorMu

don wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:00 pm
Pas_Bon wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:44 pm It’s, in large part, the latitude of the Houston metro area.
While only a few degrees difference, the lower latitude often precludes some low pressure systems from the Midwest from reaching as far south as especially the coastal areas. There is a marked difference in relative humidity % between Houston and Beaumont/South Louisiana in general. Rule of thumb is you can usually take our humidity here and add about 10% on any given day to get the RH in Beaumont/Golden Triangle/South Louisiana
I was born and raised - and spent 33yrs of my life - in South Louisiana. It is much more humid there in general.
The slope/angle of the coast also plays a big part,as the more east you go in SE Texas at the same latitude the closer you get to the Gulf.While Beaumont's latitude is farther north than Houston,its also closer to the gulf due to the angle of the Texas coast.I use to live in Louisiana also and Mississippi.Louisiana is the wettest part of the country outside of high mountain ranges.
It's that angle from the Gulf since most of the prevailing mid and upper level air is SW to NE or West to East.

For example, Corpus Christi is right on the Gulf Coast but only receives about 32 inches of rain a year. They are closer to the SW cap and Mexican air squashing rain chances. The dry line never makes it to Corpus inhibiting rain chances in April. September and later tropical season are their best chance of rain. Brownsville sees less than 27 in of rain/year.

...whereas LA, MS, AL, FL panhandle coasts are deluged with Gulf moisture all year round! 60+ inches/year are typical.

Indeed there is a steep gradient for rainfall on the west side of Houston which continues west and toward Mexico...
  • Information