February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
unome

txsnowmaker wrote:Sorry for all the questions, but does anyone have the HGX criteria for issuing a Winter Storm Warning?
they do have a reference guide that's pretty informative - you can download the whole thing or browse sections

http://www.weather.gov/om/guide/
Paul

Jeff mentioned 10ish for the coastal counties....looks to be really close given the appearance attm....ISDs might need to rethink their plans in the am....JMO....
Mr. T

srainhoutx wrote:Canadian sticking to it's guns...
Those are some nice guns
texaskaz

If you set your cell phone alarm, you never have to worry about missing alarm, unless your phone is on silent! Charge your phone all night while we got power.

I have not had an alarm clock or any clock for years. I use my cell. Just a tip!
txsnowmaker

unome wrote:
txsnowmaker wrote:Sorry for all the questions, but does anyone have the HGX criteria for issuing a Winter Storm Warning?
they do have a reference guide that's pretty informative - you can download the whole thing or browse sections

http://www.weather.gov/om/guide/
They certainly do. Thanks unome. Here is the winter weather warning criteria from the NWS reference guide:

Winter Storm Warning
Heavy snow and/or sleet and ice accumula-tions are imminent or occurring. Society and commerce is expected to be greatly impacted. Precipitation may be accompa-nied by gusty wind. (Specific criteria vary by office)

Typical Lead Time: 8 to 36 hours
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mr. T wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:Canadian sticking to it's guns...
Those are some nice guns

Yea if the CMC verifies I think everyone will be happy. :lol:
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
Snowman

What does the CMC show exactly?

and the temperature at my house just rose from 29 to 30 according to my weather station... how?
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Believe me or not, just went outside about 5 minutes ago here in my Pasadena home. Went outside to check on the sheets I have over my plants to make sure they are all still their from this wind. Soon as I stepped outside, this white thing flew in front of my face. Didn't really think much of it because I didn't think it was snow yet, just thought it might have been something on my roof. Went down my driveway near the street and looked at the light pole up in the air, looked up at the light for a good 3-4 minutes. Within that time, I saw a total of about 5 to 6 flurries. Pretty cool.
Blake
Boomer Sooner
Paul

Snowman wrote:What does the CMC show exactly?

and the temperature at my house just rose from 29 to 30 according to my weather station... how?
relax..a bug probably landed on your sensor..... :D I am below freezing now...took awhile but I had a few hours of clearing...
Baseballdude2915

Belmer wrote:Believe me or not, just went outside about 5 minutes ago here in my Pasadena home. Went outside to check on the sheets I have over my plants to make sure they are all still their from this wind. Soon as I stepped outside, this white thing flew in front of my face. Didn't really think much of it because I didn't think it was snow yet, just thought it might have been something on my roof. Went down my driveway near the street and looked at the light pole up in the air, looked up at the light for a good 3-4 minutes. Within that time, I saw a total of about 5 to 6 flurries. Pretty cool.
Believe it.
Radar starting to show echos closer to shore. Air is becoming saturated; the event is about to awaken.

Pasadena you say? I'm going outside for 10 minutes. Im closer to the source than you are. Lets see.....
Snowman

Paul wrote:

relax..a bug probably landed on your sensor..... :D I am below freezing now...took awhile but I had a few hours of clearing...

:lol: it was 20 degrees last night so that is one tough bug!

i am really hoping gene norman, jeff, and the CMC are right about this event!
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baseballdude2915 wrote:
Belmer wrote:Believe me or not, just went outside about 5 minutes ago here in my Pasadena home. Went outside to check on the sheets I have over my plants to make sure they are all still their from this wind. Soon as I stepped outside, this white thing flew in front of my face. Didn't really think much of it because I didn't think it was snow yet, just thought it might have been something on my roof. Went down my driveway near the street and looked at the light pole up in the air, looked up at the light for a good 3-4 minutes. Within that time, I saw a total of about 5 to 6 flurries. Pretty cool.
Believe it.
Radar starting to show echos closer to shore. Air is becoming saturated; the event is about to awaken.

Pasadena you say? I'm going outside for 10 minutes. Im closer to the source than you are. Lets see.....

Yea things are moistening up faster then expected. Also CMC says we do this same thing all over again next week! I don't think I will ever get sleep again... :(

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/CMC_ ... ml#picture
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Snowman wrote:
Paul wrote:

:lol: it was 20 degrees last night so that is one tough bug!

i am really hoping gene norman, jeff, and the CMC are right about this event!
And NOAA, Wxman, and most other mets. ;)
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baseballdude2915 wrote:
Believe it.

Take a peek at BRO Radar...
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Paul

theres the lift....nice tops on some of those also.....you start this off earlier than expected things will get hairy for the am commute....
redneckweather

It's holding @ 26 degrees here at my house. Hopefully it will drop a few degrees before morning time. Ok, off to bed!
cisa

If it starts early, does it end early or just stretch out longer ie more precip?
No rain, no rainbows.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

cisa wrote:If it starts early, does it end early or just stretch out longer ie more precip?

No this is the flow from the pacific/ gulf. The low is still on schedule and that is when the big stuff begins.
cisa

Andrew wrote:
cisa wrote:If it starts early, does it end early or just stretch out longer ie more precip?

No this is the flow from the pacific/ gulf. The low is still on schedule and that is when the big stuff begins.

So this would be an appetizer? ;) I'm lovin' this!

Thanks Andrew
Last edited by cisa on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No rain, no rainbows.
  • Information