February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
redneckweather

Mucho freezing drizzle here at the house and temp and dew point have met right smack dab at 26 degrees. Come on snow! I still haven't seen a flurry yet but everything outside is coated in ice!
HouTXmetro

TexasBreeze wrote:Still heavy freezing drizzle with little pellets. The streets are damp but still liquid. 28 degrees will eventually freeze them.

Heavy freezing drizzle near Reliant Park area, We have dropped down to 31 degrees and elevated surfaces are freezing over. In due time the ground will too.Going to be nasty in the AM.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

I can't believe I got excited about this. Once again, totally aggravated. Going to bed. I hate winter.
Frigid Aggie

Heavy freezing drizzle on my side of Pearland. Things starting to ice up pretty good now.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

For what it is worth model wise the Euro is showing 1.3in of snow in the morning.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
sambucol

svrwx0503 wrote:
Andrew wrote:
svrwx0503 wrote:Currently HGX radar showing a lot of light returns signifying some freezing rain/drizzle along with the occasional snow flake, especially just west and northwest of the metro area. The latest RUC mesoanalysis and model soundings show some what of a warm layer around 850 across eastern sections of the region with Harris county the battle ground between what looks to be mainly freezing rain and a mix of freezing rain, sleet, and snow out west. Should see better chances for snow after midnight as colder temps spread in from the west in association with the upper low. Also, the region is just now starting to come under the RRQ of a 100kt+ upper level jet core which will help increase lift over the region.

Just based on reports, it looks like light snow is occurring with dbz values at or above 25dbz.

Hey svrwx what do you think about later tonight as far as the ULL tracking farther east and not ENE? Also do you see snow accumulations in the morning?
The latest WV imagery shows the UL moving ENE into western central Texas, maybe a touch slower but pretty much on time. As it continues on this track overnight, should see a change over to snow late tonight into tomorrow morning. Will want to watch the reporting stations out west to see if the change over is occurring. I noticed that Gonzales reported 1/2 inch of snow on the ground.
Is this good for SETX to get snow?
txsnowmaker

Andrew wrote:For what it is worth model wise the Euro is showing 1.3in of snow in the morning.

Well, if we're talking about models, do you happen to know what the excitable Canadian showed?
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

txsnowmaker wrote:
Andrew wrote:For what it is worth model wise the Euro is showing 1.3in of snow in the morning.

Well, if we're talking about models, do you happen to know what the excitable Canadian showed?

I think showed about the same as past models. Too late to really use models but who knows...
txflagwaver

Mist in Seabrook...icing over as it hits the street
svrwx0503
Pro Met
Pro Met

Should slowly see things continue to change over towards snow as the atmosphere cools down via evaporation cooling and dynamic cooling associated with the UL. Current forecasts look to be on track. Roads are extremely dangerous now and travel is discouraged through tomorrow morning. Stay safe out there you all!
txsnowmaker

Interesting that NWS still hasn't changed their forecast, for my area at least. Not sure if this is because they tend to stick to their guns once the event starts or if they're just really confident in their original forecast.
cisa

well It's finally decided t drizzle in Porter. I can also hear more solid precp but cans see it. I hope this means it starting.
No rain, no rainbows.
charlotto

freezing rain in Angleton.. ice starting to cover everything.
helloitsb

svrwx0503 wrote:Should slowly see things continue to change over towards snow as the atmosphere cools down via evaporation cooling and dynamic cooling associated with the UL. Current forecasts look to be on track. Roads are extremely dangerous now and travel is discouraged through tomorrow morning. Stay safe out there you all!
soo, we are still looking at Snow? I guess as you and Andrew were discussing earlier, the ULL is behind? Thanks for helping us :)
Mr. T

Ice covering exposed surfaces in Kingwood
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ed Mahmoud wrote:Euro: That is 0.17 inches liquid equivalent, it clearly isn't all snow and 10:1 ratios are rather optimistic

If its right, and assume 50/50 ice over snow, almost an inch of snow over almost a tenth of ice, the city is closed for business until after lunch.

At that point .13 in of it would be snow.
TexasBreeze

I hope it starts snowing soon at least by 2am. The lack of goog nights sleep the past couple nights is catching up and I'm tired.
Paul

very good freezing rain now...streets are wet...and the car is becoming a block of ice.....Pearland
helloitsb

helloitsb wrote:
svrwx0503 wrote:Should slowly see things continue to change over towards snow as the atmosphere cools down via evaporation cooling and dynamic cooling associated with the UL. Current forecasts look to be on track. Roads are extremely dangerous now and travel is discouraged through tomorrow morning. Stay safe out there you all!
soo, we are still looking at Snow? I guess as you and Andrew were discussing earlier, the ULL is behind? Thanks for helping us :)
looks like svrwx got offline, Andrew, weatherag? any ideas from my questions to svrwx?
nuby3

I don't see what is any different. we are at the onset and things look on track for a nice little snowfall tonight. Not gonna impress my buds from wisconsin, but it's enough for me. Normally we get nothing.
  • Information