July: Hot & Humid To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
gocuse22

NWS should extend the Flash Flood Watch through tomorrow, IMO.
jasons2k

Another .71" here today & storm total 7.68"...looking at water vapor, even more moisture is heading this way, enhanced by the ULL in the Gulf pulling more moisture NW around it, and then it is surging onshore.
Last edited by jasons2k on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasons2k

This was from Jeff at 6:15 PM:
Heavy Rainfall continues over parts of the area this evening (including NW Harris County) where over 15 inches has fallen in the last 4-5 days.

Shear axis/upper level low has slide slightly eastward today reducing the rainfall coverage, but this feature is expected to begin to shift back westward late Saturday into Sunday once again increasing the rainfall threat and the potential for organized heavy rainfall. Sunday is looking fairly wet, with some potential for another morning excessive rainfall event, but will need to take a hard look at that late Saturday.

With grounds saturated flooding is likely.

Creek Update:
Willow Creek: crested and falling back in banks
Little Cypress Creek: crested and falling back in banks on the upper end, still overbanks on the lower end.
Cypress Creek: flat cresting and begin a very slow fall but remain well out of banks into late Saturday.
Spring Creek: overbanks near I-45 and still rising slightly.
W San Jacinto River: overbanks and still rising, should crest early Saturday.

Significant flooding continues along parts of Cypress and Spring Creeks and the W Fork of the San Jacinto river with homes flooded and many roads impassable.

Going to try and get a little break this evening, so next update not likely until Saturday unless conditions change.
Portastorm

The morning forecast discussion out of NWSFO EWX suggested the upper low would be migrating slowly westward through south central Texas this weekend ... possibly giving y'all a bit of a break in the HOU area. However, after staring at some satellite and water vapor loops this Saturday morning ... it doesn't look like the low is moving much at all.
Kludge

jasons wrote:Another .71" here today & storm total 7.68"...looking at water vapor, even more moisture is heading this way, enhanced by the ULL in the Gulf pulling more moisture NW around it, and then it is surging onshore.
Color me jealous. :?

Okay my turn: Throughout this whole event I've scored a whopping 2.2"...including onlly trace amounts for the last 3 days. :roll: Yesterday was especially brutal as a massive blob with likely 2"/hour rainfall amounts formed near Madisonville, came south to my doorstep, then magically danced around me to the west. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Now the grass is green and growing, mind you... but my pond is 2-1/2 feet down. Compared to last year (it ran dry) I'm ecstatic :D , but when I see the totals you guys are getting... it's tough to fight off the envy. Fingers crossed for today and tomorrow.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

Please forward this website...place on facebook, twitter, webpages:

Please report house flooding to www.readyharris.org click the Flood Survey tab.

We need residents to report water in homes, so we can be damage assessment teams into the right areas
jasons2k

Kludge wrote:Color me jealous. :?

Okay my turn: Throughout this whole event I've scored a whopping 2.2"...including onlly trace amounts for the last 3 days. :roll: Yesterday was especially brutal as a massive blob with likely 2"/hour rainfall amounts formed near Madisonville, came south to my doorstep, then magically danced around me to the west. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Now the grass is green and growing, mind you... but my pond is 2-1/2 feet down. Compared to last year (it ran dry) I'm ecstatic :D , but when I see the totals you guys are getting... it's tough to fight off the envy. Fingers crossed for today and tomorrow.
I know the feeling, but a wise man once told me to be patient, and you will get yours too! :)
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

From HGX Mid-Morning update...
SUNDAY...EARLY 12Z GUIDANCE STILL FAVORING SETX WITH MORE
SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL AND MAY HAVE TO HOIST THE FLOOD WATCH AGAIN
FOR SUNDAY. WILL WAIT TO GET A LOOK AT THE REMAINDER OF THE 12Z
GUIDANCE BEFORE DOING SO.
txflagwaver

Kludge wrote:
jasons wrote:Another .71" here today & storm total 7.68"...looking at water vapor, even more moisture is heading this way, enhanced by the ULL in the Gulf pulling more moisture NW around it, and then it is surging onshore.
Color me jealous. :?

My grass is growing...but I can't mow because the ground is like a sponge...can't pull the weeds out of the flower beds coz of the mosquitoes...and there are toadstools everywhere....not complaining about the rain...just getting it all at one time that's annoying
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not too shabby for a long discussed pattern that verified fairly well. I hope that those that missed out on some 'bigger totals' are not too disappointed. The weather here in Baltimore has been awesome and I've enjoyed my time with Wes Junker, Jack Beven and Paul Kocin as well. Jack will be speaking tonight for our Conference finale dinner with a Topic Title:..."To Name Or Not To Name - A Tropical Cyclone: Data And Decision Making At The National Hurricane Center". See everyone on Monday...;)

Code: Select all

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX
340 PM CDT SAT JUL 14 2012

...HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS SOUTHEAST TEXAS THE LAST FIVE AND A HALF
   DAYS...

WIDESPREAD RAINFALL HAS FALLEN ACROSS AREAS MAINLY SOUTH OF A
LAKE SOMERVILLE TO HUNTSVILLE TO GROVETON LINE SINCE MONDAY. AN
UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY OVER
SOUTHEAST TEXAS THIS WEEK AND RICH GULF MOISTURE HAS BEEN FEEDING
NORTH INTO THE AREA. THIS MOISTURE COLLIDED WITH A SLOW MOVING
FRONT AND THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH TO PRODUCE THE HEAVY RAINFALL.

BELOW ARE RAINFALL TOTALS ACROSS THE AREA FROM NWS ASOS SITES:
...................7/9-7/14 TOTALS...............................

CONROE                         9.85
HOOKS AIRPORT                  7.30
HOBBY AIRPORT                  6.01
SUGARLAND                      5.42
PEARLAND                       5.29
GALVESTON                      3.95
BUSH AIRPORT                   3.63
COLLEGE STATION                3.46
ANGLETON                       3.41
PALACIOS                       2.58
HUNTSVILLE                     2.51

SOME OF THE HIGHLIGHTS FOR THE HOUSTON REGION COURTESY OF THE
HARRIS COUNTY FLOOD CONTROL DISTRICT:
..................................7/9-7/14 TOTALS................

CYPRESS CREEK AT KATY-HOCKLEY RD             15.96
LITTLE MOUND CREEK AT MATHIS RD              15.32
LITTLE CYPRESS CREEK AT CYPRESS ROSEHILL     14.32
SPRING CREEK AT HEGAR ROAD                   14.20
SPRING CREEK AT SH 249                       12.80
CYPRESS CREEK AT US 290                      12.08
SPRING CREEK AT KUYKENDAHL RD                11.48
LITTLE CYPRESS CREEK AT KLUGE RD             10.60
BUFFALO BAYOU AT MILAM ST                     9.40
SIMS BAYOU AT HIRAM-CLARKE RD                 8.68
SPRING BRANCH AT BINGLE RD                    8.56
WHITE OAK BAYOU AT HEIGHTS BLVD               8.48

MESONET SITES        7/9-7/14 TOTALS

CLEVELAND               5.71
DAYTON                  2.45
LIVINGSTON              1.62
EDNA                    1.12
FRELSBURG               0.34

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
rnmm

Lightning, thunder and heavy rain here at the moment. I hope everyone stays safe today!
My name is Nicole and I love weather!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike
mckinne63

Skies are getting dark and wind is kicking up here in Stafford.
jasons2k

Had .19" yesterday and another .19" in the last hour with round one. It's very dark just to my south with lots of thunder.
mckinne63

Not much rain out of that cell. Just enough to make things damp. It was noisy. :lol: It is still very cloudy, but the dark clouds appear to be moving elsewhere.
jasons2k

This first round is moving out quickly and lots of sun to the SW. There may be even more later today since it's not even 2PM yet - something to look out for --
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

Moisture definitely on the increase, though models don't seem to be handling it's effects on any future convection very well.
cisa

This may be a dumb question but does it look like there's a little bit of a spin in the gulf clouds south of LA or is it just the westward movement of the trough? Just curious.
No rain, no rainbows.
nuby3

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/tropical/satpix ... v_loop.php

lots going on in the gulf. What is west of Florida, is that an upper level feature? the small spin south of LA looks to be more associated with that to me, although I have no idea what I'm talking about.

edit to add... it looks like the small disturbance near Brownsville is headed northward. To me it looks like we are not out of the woods, any input from someone who has a clue?
JulesC

Where is everybody? I always come here to get the real scoop on the weather and we have had several big weather days. Why has it been so quiet?

Julie :)
Portastorm

Getting hammered (weather-wise, that is!) here in the Austin area. Numerous flash flood warnings out with heavy rain, lots of lightning ... making for an active late Sunday afternoon/early evening!
  • Information