tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

So, the NAM was not out to lunch...:) LOL
ticka1

so what is the nam forecast?
Paul Robison

Just for fun question!

Is it advisible to let kids play with the ice accumulations? I once got in trouble my dad for playing swordfight with an icicle.
Last edited by Paul Robison on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
South_Texas_Storms
Pro Met
Pro Met

Andrew wrote:Looks like hi-res NAM is doing the best job so far, especially on picking up on that early precip in West Texas.
You think College Station could possibly get up to an inch of snow tonight Andrew?
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

South_Texas_Storms wrote:
Andrew wrote:Looks like hi-res NAM is doing the best job so far, especially on picking up on that early precip in West Texas.
You think College Station could possibly get up to an inch of snow tonight Andrew?

too early to tell what will happen. Also we need to check what the kcll sounding at 6z says
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

ticka1 wrote:so what is the nam forecast?
Click SIm Radar:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance ... imageSize=
South_Texas_Storms
Pro Met
Pro Met

Andrew wrote:

too early to tell what will happen. Also we need to check what the kcll sounding at 6z says
Can you please post the CLL 6z sounding data on here when you get it?
helloitsb

That looks like a lot of moisture in the nam
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Andrew wrote:

Can you please post the CLL 6z sounding data on here when you get it?[/quote]

Yea I will try too.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

helloitsb wrote:That looks like a lot of moisture in the nam

Just remember the radar is composite, and not base returns.
jasons2k

Radar lighting-up. Some decent returns already near Columbus. Too bad it's still over 50 degrees outside...
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

HouTXmetro wrote: What good is that going to do? The event should be ongoing by then and we should already have an idea of how things will play out. I would think
We discussed (with U of H) when the best time for a couple of soundings would be. Sending them up today/tonight would tell us nothing about the airmass status tomorrow. We have certain clients that need to make critical decisions around 3pm tomorrow. Therefore, the best times for a sounding would be 5am and 11am. We would have the info by 12:30pm-1pm so that the client could make the proper call for the 3pm meeting. We should be able to determine if the warm nose really exists by those times, and that would tell us whether the afternoon and evening precip would be rain, freezing rain, sleet or snow. Again, sending up a balloon this evening would NOT tell us about the warm nose. No point in launching one today.
basketballrox

So I live in San Marcos which is about 25 minutes south of Austin. I have noticed a ton of moisture and temps here being much lower than Houston or NOLA. Does anyone think we could get much more than they are forecasting for us. What are the accumulations possible for my area.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[
too early to tell what will happen. Also we need to check what the kcll sounding at 6z says[/quote]

I totally forgot about the A&M launch. I was so busy with the UH sounding, I forgot we have a two pronged approach at this. Would it not be a huge coup if the NAM were right on target? My goodness.
TxJohn

It's 52 degrees here in NW Harris County...all that moisture is going to waste unfortunately....

Tim Heller's forecast looks spot on with little to no frozen precip for us. Temps seem to be too warm for Houston....I doubt we'll see 29 degrees. It's almost 8pm and we're stuck in the 50s.

BTW David Paul's most recent forecast "Snow and Ice forecast for Tuesday: Best chance for snow will be from Conroe north to Huntsville and Livingston. Houston, mostly sleet and ice."

https://www.facebook.com/KHOUDavidPaul

Both David Paul and Tim Heller are on the same page.

***This is not an official forecast*****
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

wxman57 wrote:
HouTXmetro wrote: What good is that going to do? The event should be ongoing by then and we should already have an idea of how things will play out. I would think
We discussed (with U of H) when the best time for a couple of soundings would be. Sending them up today/tonight would tell us nothing about the airmass status tomorrow. We have certain clients that need to make critical decisions around 3pm tomorrow. Therefore, the best times for a sounding would be 5am and 11am. We would have the info by 12:30pm-1pm so that the client could make the proper call for the 3pm meeting. We should be able to determine if the warm nose really exists by those times, and that would tell us whether the afternoon and evening precip would be rain, freezing rain, sleet or snow. Again, sending up a balloon this evening would NOT tell us about the warm nose. No point in launching one today.
Thanks for that. I tried to explain it as best I could. :)
jasons2k

I'm beginning to wonder if the precip will be already out of here by that 3PM meeting tomorrow...
Kingwood31

TxJohn wrote:It's 52 degrees here in NW Harris County...all that moisture is going to waste unfortunately....

Tim Heller's forecast looks spot on with little to no frozen precip for us. Temps seem to be too warm for Houston....I doubt we'll see 29 degrees. It's almost 8pm and we're stuck in the 50s.

BTW David Paul's most recent forecast "Snow and Ice forecast for Tuesday: Best chance for snow will be from Conroe north to Huntsville and Livingston. Houston, mostly sleet and ice."

https://www.facebook.com/KHOUDavidPaul

Both David Paul and Tim Heller are on the same page.

***This is not an official forecast*****
I'm so glad your so confident there buddy,maybe u should be a on air met for a local tv station :roll:
jgreak

Aaand, we're back, after a little down time there! I just wanted to remind everyone that the cold air and freezing temps were never meant to make it into Houston until the early Tuesday morning hours. On that note, I just stepped outside and it is significantly colder than it was an hour ago, I think the cold air is finally bleeding into our area.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

EWX reports light snow and sleet across the Edwards Plateau.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information