February: Clear Skies & Moderating Temps To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Kludge

Bizarre day. Never got below 34 here all last night. Rose to 38 at noon, now back to 34. Dew point 32, never got above freezing.

Radar has shown intermittent returns on us all day, but only a rare drop hit the windshield.

Now a new band of precip (virga?) is coming in, and I see that wet-bulb 32 is less than 30 miles to our north. I'm not sure what to expect any more from this system.

EDIT: Definitely NOT virga. Moderate shower (all liquid) began at 3:19, with thunder heard. Temp still 34/32.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kludge wrote:Bizarre day. Never got below 34 here all last night. Rose to 38 at noon, now back to 34. Dew point 32, never got above freezing.

Radar has shown intermittent returns on us all day, but only a rare drop hit the windshield.

Now a new band of precip (virga?) is coming in, and I see that wet-bulb 32 is less than 30 miles to our north. I'm not sure what to expect any more from this system.

EDIT: Definitely NOT virga. Moderate shower (all liquid) began at 3:19, with thunder heard. Temp still 34/32.
I was sort of surprised that HGX dropped you folks from the Advisory so early. Just had a chance to glance over some of the guidance and there are some indications that banding be it sleet or snow may accompany that 5H short wave as it passes over night not too far to your N. There is a bit of cold core with it, so a stray sleet pellet or two wouldn't surprise me.
Attachments
02112014 2155Z TX VIS latest.jpg
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Kludge

I'm 3 miles south of the Madison County line here in Grimes County. It just fell to 32 here, and another band of rain is beginning to move in. So yeah, erring on the side of caution for at least these 2 counties might've been prudent.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kludge wrote:I'm 3 miles south of the Madison County line here in Grimes County. It just fell to 32 here, and another band of rain is beginning to move in. So yeah, erring on the side of caution for at least these 2 counties might've been prudent.
HGX is monitoring since latest data suggests that precip may linger a bit longer than expected overnight. Temperature has dropped to 35F here in NW Harris County since reaching a high of 41F about 1:30 PM
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
msp

Ed Mahmoud wrote:CLL reporting mixed, but I wonder if that is just ASOS being ASOS, as they are well above freezing, DP is blow freezing, so random sleet isn't impossible. Ground truth from Aggieland readers would be cool. I see no other reasonable reportings of freezing/frozen in the HGX CWA. The FWD CWA seems the nearest place, with some reports in NW EWX CWA.

Have to see what dusk does, as far as temps. Some of the EWX CWA has dewpoints below freezing and could cool down after dark. Ditto UTS, CXO dew at freezing and wind is from North, so maybe extreme N/NW HGX gets some overpass icing tonight, but so far, not really a 'Winter Weather Event'.
If there ever was sleet this afternoon, I certainly missed it. Looked like all rain. I'd guess ASOS being ASOS.
FtIJ

Says I'm at 33 off Research in The Woodlands.

Are we supposed to get anything? I thought this was a non-event.
skidog40

looks like moisture building back in
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ready for 90F and tropical skies. I am way done with the 2013-2014 TX Winter. I know someone else who would agree.
nuby3

MORE ICE PLEASE. I only got enough to make me want more. I WILL say for sure, I feel like I have gained a lot of experience with winter forecasting. Even with more than a decade of following on this forum, I have had little if any experience watching winter weather events unfold in my area. It's been a humbling winter. I have learned that even the very best at it are wrong all the time. I am too. I am wrong more though, and when I am wrong, I am more wrong.
skidog40

the weather channel has katy reporting snow
skidog40

Katy, TX (77450) Weather

Expect occasional snow to end by 8:30 pm.

Hourly Forecast

Yesterday
Today
Hourly
Tomorrow
Weekend
5 Day
10 Day
Monthly
Video Forecast
Map

Forecasts

Boat & Beach
Fishing
Ski
Home & Garden
Travel

More

Take the weather with me:

Desktop App

BEWARE: CRIPPLING ICE STORM LIKELY
BEWARE: CRIPPLING ICE STORM LIKELY
PREPARE NOW: Power Outages Likely
PREPARE NOW: Power Outages Likely
Will Pax be a Catastrophe?
Will Pax be a Catastrophe?
Forecast for Today
Updated: Feb 11, 7:45pm CST

Desktop App

Right Now
Earlier Today
Tonight
Wintry Mix
Cloudy
Showers Early
35°F
FEELS LIKE 26°
41°
HIGH AT 12:05 PM
31°
LOW
Wintry Mix
Nearby locations also reporting a wintry mix.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update from Jeff:

Things have gone downhill quickly this evening over the northern.counties.

Freezing drizzle and rain over the past few hours has resulted in the formation of ice on numerous bridges and overpasses across Burleson, Brazos, Grimes, Washington, and Madison Counties and this is likely to spread into Walker, Houston, Trinity, and Polk Counties in the next hour or two.

Strong short wave continues to produce just enough lift over the region to generate patches of drizzle and light rain. Surface temperatures are hovering very near freezing from Austin to Navasota to Livingston. While official ASOS reports at College Station and Huntsville are at 33, TXDOT and public reports of widespread icing on bridges and overpasses suggest the temperatures is freezing across much of that area. Expect freezing drizzle and rain to end from WNW to ESE over the next few hours, but with ice already formed on roadways expect little improvement overnight even with the ending of the precipitation. General ice accumulation of a trace to .05 of an inch is likely from Brenham to New Waverly to Lake Livingston this evening…making travel north of this line extremely dangerous.

All precipitation should be ended by midnight with the freezing line reaching to I-10 corridor Wednesday morning. Could see some freezing of residual water on bridges and overpasses over Waller, Montgomery, and San Jacinto Counties early Wednesday morning. Such an instance resulted in a 20 vehicle accident on I-35 between Austin and Round Rock this evening…so the ending of the precipitation does not always end the ice threat.

Do not think there is a big concern for any icing in Harris County…but do expect freezing temperatures to onset Wednesday morning mainly N and W of a line from Katy to Kingwood. Think surface temperatures will only briefly reach 31-32 and gusty north winds between midnight and 400am should help dry most bridges and overpasses. Would advise caution on any bridges that normally retain water after rainfall as they may have some patchy ice.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Kludge

skidog40 wrote:Will Pax be a Catastrophe?
What's a "Pax"?

And while we're at it, what's "The Weather Channel"?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Down to 33F in NW Harris County with light drizzle and rain. Just got a report from a client in the Hockley area that a light glaze of ice has formed on their patio furniture.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
cisa

Kludge wrote:
skidog40 wrote:Will Pax be a Catastrophe?
What's a "Pax"?

And while we're at it, what's "The Weather Channel"?
Yeah their sticking to their guns on this, but I don't see it catching on. Especially since they seem to be the only one dumb enough to use it. I don't remember the last time I watched it. They are never right.
No rain, no rainbows.
cristina6871

i haven't heard it doing anything outside here in Spring. We still have a couple of weeks of February - after this warm up do we see any more cold coming our way? Just trying to delay the inevitable - the hot humid weather that's not far away. :)
cisa

Wondering what y'all see weekend of the 21 and 22. We're spending a couple of days in Surfside. Any guesses of a forecast,
No rain, no rainbows.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the Euro is correct, a big storm may be headed our way after a brief taste of Spring with yet another strong front near the 21st-22nd time frame with below normal temperatures returning once again, cisa.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
sambucol

awesome!
cisa

srainhoutx wrote:If the Euro is correct, a big storm may be headed our way after a brief taste of Spring with yet another strong front near the 21st-22nd time frame with below normal temperatures returning once again, cisa.
Thanks Srain, we love the beach in winter. Just hope we can be out some with out a ton of rain.
No rain, no rainbows.
  • Information