March: Comfortable Weekend Weather & Warming Trend

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
nuby3

don wrote:12z Nam is colder has freezing line hugging north Harris county now, with convective precip going on.
THIS REMINDS ME OF 04
Kingwood31

don wrote:12z Nam is colder has freezing line hugging north Harris county now, with convective precip going on.
For our area don? Humble,kingwood,atascocita?
nuby3

Kingwood31 wrote:
MY OPINION IS THAT YOU SHOULD CONTINUE TO PAY ATTENTION. COULD GET SOME STUFF MAYBE
Kingwood31

nuby3 wrote:
Kingwood31 wrote:
MY OPINION IS THAT YOU SHOULD CONTINUE TO PAY ATTENTION. COULD GET SOME STUFF MAYBE
Wow,u getting loud with the caps there good buddy..sorry I'm not as skilled in model reading as you are :roll:
don

Temperatures are right at 33-34 at Bush so its really really close, previous model run had temps at 34-35, temps could easily be at freezing in the northern suburbs.
ticka1

a friend on FB posted that she has tiny snowflakes in lufkin..... Instead of looking at the models I think we need to watch what is happening outside....just saying
nuby3

Wow,u getting loud with the caps there good buddy..sorry I'm not as skilled in model reading as you are :roll

actually, the caps were on after something else I was doing and I was too lazy to bother turning it off. sorry you're bothered by it
Kingwood31

nuby3 wrote:Wow,u getting loud with the caps there good buddy..sorry I'm not as skilled in model reading as you are :roll

actually, the caps were on after something else I was doing and I was too lazy to bother turning it off. sorry you're bothered by it
Not bothered by it..I just have a special needs child that has to be on a bus at 5:30 n the am so I trying to figure stuff out is all
nuby3

ticka1 wrote:a friend on FB posted that she has tiny snowflakes in lufkin..... Instead of looking at the models I think we need to watch what is happening outside....just saying
this is what I agree with
Portastorm

I'm thinking we see a temp bust today here in Austin. EWX has us with a high of 41. We're sitting 24 degrees right now with increasing clouds and still major-league cold air advection. I seriously doubt we get above 37-38 degrees. Of course, that'll also mean we'll drop quicker to freezing once the sun sets.

All in all tonight/tomorrow's event has the potential to be the WORST one of the winter for the Austin area. QPF values in the models are much higher than previous events. Only saving grace will be recent warm temps so roads may be slow to ice over. Elevated roadways/bridges will be a joke tomorrow morning if this forecast verifies.
nuby3

srainhoutx wrote:Interesting to see 'Lake Effect' snow plumes spreading S off the Lakes across the N Texas area via Texas visible imagery.
also of note in the photo is the snow pack in the center of the country
nuby3

Kingwood31 wrote:
nuby3 wrote:Wow,u getting loud with the caps there good buddy..sorry I'm not as skilled in model reading as you are :roll

Not bothered by it..I just have a special needs child that has to be on a bus at 5:30 n the am so I trying to figure stuff out is all
all I did or intended to do is answer your question, everything else is your business. I honestly think you should pay attention the rest of the day to the weather because it's likely or possible at least that you can get something frozen
Kingwood31

nuby3 wrote:
Kingwood31 wrote:

all I did or intended to do is answer your question, everything else is your business. I honestly think you should pay attention the rest of the day to the weather because it's likely or possible at least that you can get something frozen

Fair enough
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Water vapor imagery clearly shows the potent short wave (upper air disturbance) advancing E towards Texas. It is also noteworthy that an additional piece of upper level energy is crossing Mexico heading E towards the Rio Grande Valley/S Central Texas Region.

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Texaspirate11

nuby3 wrote:
Kingwood31 wrote:

NUBY3
- I hope you're checking out my "emergency preparedness for PWD" I have a lot of info on that. I ususally post when schools are closing. thanks
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
texoz

My backyard thermometer bottomed out at 21 degrees.

Not official, but it looks like Bergstrom hit 19 and Camp Mabry 24.

I'm pretty sure the 48 hour forecast was about 10 degrees warmer, and the 24 hour had the low around 29. Those few degrees make a big difference in backyard gardening. I guess the landscapers are going to have a busy spring.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

And it's official. HGX issue Winter Weather Advisory...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX
926 AM CST MON MAR 3 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT AFTER 11 PM...

.A VERY COLD AIRMASS OVER THE AREA WILL SET THE STAGE FOR THE
POSSIBILITY OF FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET OVER THE REGION BEGINNING
AROUND 11 PM NEAR EDNA AND EXPANDING NORTH AND NORTHEAST THROUGH
THE AREA AFTER MIDNIGHT. AFTER A COLD EVENING WITH TEMPERATURES AT
BELOW FREEZING AN AREA OF LIGHT PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO
DEVELOP AND SPREAD OVER THE AREA...AND SHOULD LEAD TO LIGHT
ACCUMULATIONS OF FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET. ROADS MAY BECOME ICY AND
ELEVATED ROADS AND BRIDGES WILL BE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO ICING.
TEMPERATURES SHOULD RISE ABOVE FREEZING TUESDAY MORNING BETWEEN 9
AND NOON WITH AREAS TO THE NORTH BEING THE LAST TO RISE ABOVE
FREEZING. THE QUANTITY OF ACCUMULATIONS IS STILL IN QUESTION BUT
SOME ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED.

TXZ163-164-176>179-195>200-210>213-226-227-235-032330-
/O.NEW.KHGX.WW.Y.0004.140304T0500Z-140304T1800Z/
AUSTIN-BRAZOS-BURLESON-COLORADO-FORT BEND-GRIMES-HARRIS-HOUSTON-
JACKSON-LIBERTY-MADISON-MONTGOMERY-POLK-SAN JACINTO-TRINITY-
WALKER-WALLER-WASHINGTON-WHARTON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BELLVILLE...BRENHAM...BROOKSHIRE...
BRYAN...CALDWELL...CLEVELAND...COLDSPRING...COLLEGE STATION...
COLUMBUS...CONROE...CORRIGAN...CROCKETT...DAYTON...EAGLE LAKE...
EDNA...EL CAMPO...GROVETON...HEMPSTEAD...HOUSTON...HUMBLE...
HUNTSVILLE...KATY...LAKE SOMERVILLE...LIBERTY...LIVINGSTON...
MADISONVILLE...MISSOURI CITY...NAVASOTA...ONALASKA...PASADENA...
PIERCE...PRAIRIE VIEW...RICHMOND...ROSENBERG...SEALY...SHEPHERD...
SUGAR LAND...THE WOODLANDS...TOMBALL...TRINITY...WEIMAR...
WHARTON...WILLIS
926 AM CST MON MAR 3 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO
NOON CST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HOUSTON/GALVESTON HAS ISSUED A
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN EFFECT
FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON CST TUESDAY.

* EVENT...A VERY COLD AIRMASS OVER THE AREA WILL SET THE STAGE FOR
THE POSSIBILITY OF FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET OVER THE REGION
BEGINNING AROUND 11 PM NEAR EDNA AND EXPANDING NORTH AND
NORTHEAST THROUGH THE AREA AFTER MIDNIGHT. AFTER A COLD EVENING
WITH TEMPERATURES AT BELOW FREEZING AN AREA OF LIGHT
PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP AND SPREAD OVER THE
AREA...AND SHOULD LEAD TO LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS OF FREEZING RAIN
AND SLEET. ROADS MAY BECOME ICY AND ELEVATED ROADS AND BRIDGES
WILL BE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO ICING. TEMPERATURES SHOULD RISE
ABOVE FREEZING TUESDAY MORNING BETWEEN 9 AND NOON WITH AREAS TO
THE NORTH BEING THE LAST TO RISE ABOVE FREEZING. THE QUANTITY OF
ACCUMULATIONS IS STILL IN QUESTION BUT SOME ACCUMULATIONS ARE
EXPECTED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

ROADS...BRIDGES...AND OVERPASSES IN THE WARNING AREA MAY BECOME
SLICK AND HAZARDOUS. ACCUMULATION OF ICE ON ROADWAYS...BRIDGES
AND OVERPASSES MAY MAKE TRAVEL TREACHEROUS.
Attachments
03032014 US Hazards.png
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

texoz wrote:My backyard thermometer bottomed out at 21 degrees.

Not official, but it looks like Bergstrom hit 19 and Camp Mabry 24.

I'm pretty sure the 48 hour forecast was about 10 degrees warmer, and the 24 hour had the low around 29. Those few degrees make a big difference in backyard gardening. I guess the landscapers are going to have a busy spring.
Same story here. I made the mistake of cutting back all my variegated ginger, bird of paradise, Florida gardenia, and lantanas on Saturday. I made the call then, expecting a low of 35-36. Now, all the dead leaf cover protecting them is gone and covers are useless in this wind.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update from Jeff:

NWS has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for areas along an north of US 59 starting at 1100pm tonight for accumulations of freezing rain and sleet.

Bitter cold arctic air mass is entrenching over the region and light to moderate rainfall is expected to begin to develop after 1100pm along US 59 and overspread the region overnight. Freezing rain and ice accumulations of .03 to .10 of an inch are possible in the advisory area along and north of US 59 making travel potentially extremely dangerous on Tuesday morning….including the NW ½ of Harris County.

Air temperatures in the low to mid 20’s have cooled roadway surfaces to near/below freezing (US 290 at SH 6) is currently reporting a roadway temperature of 25.6 degrees. While there will be some recovery today with the high March sun angle…think roadway surfaces will cool quickly to freezing this evening.

There is still some uncertainty on exactly where the freezing line ends up tonight…but it is looking increasingly likely that some degree of ice accumulation is possible over portions of the area including the western and northern parts of Harris County Tuesday morning.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
snowman65

Any clues as to what the golden triangle area can expect from this system? Thanks!
  • Information