August 2016: Rain Chances Continue.

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just emptied 8.61 inches of rain out of my gauge and reported my rainfall totals to HGX.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
unome

srainhoutx wrote:Just emptied 8.61 inches of rain out of my gauge and reported my rainfall totals to HGX.
yikes ! how many hrs ?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

unome wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:Just emptied 8.61 inches of rain out of my gauge and reported my rainfall totals to HGX.
yikes ! how many hrs ?
That's for the past 24 hours. Rain let up and I was able to get to my official CoCoRah's gauge. Will try to post a picture before I emptied it in a bit. I need coffee... ;)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
unome

Last edited by unome on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ounce

Skyguy wrote:
worrybug wrote:As of 8/13/2016 9:36:38 PM, CenterPoint Energy reporting 23928 Customers without lights. Will that number increase tonight? Should a surge of new outages be expected due to the weather between now and 10 am tomorrow? This is a tropical system, after all, and it could leave millions of homes in the dark.

I am asking because I still have power at my house---but I wonder for how long?
Most of those outages at this time are occurring to the south of the downtown area. If you're north of these area, you should be fine. BTW: I got a HAM operator who reported lightning so intense he thought the sun had come out. Wow!

Er, Ounce, by "not that stout" are you referring to the pressure in millibars or the fact that it is now away from the Louisiana Coast?
I'm referring to the system is not generating enough lightning over the whole of southeast Texas to "leave millions of homes in the dark."
jasons2k

If the latest HRRR is to be believed, it shows things gradually weakening over the Houston area and almost nothing by 2AM. I'm suspicious of that, however.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

While we have a break in the heavy rainfall this morning, the overnight ECMWF-EPS and Day 8+ Super Ensembles are suggesting the significant pattern change will continue throughout the coming workweek.
Attachments
08142016 00Z 168 ecmwf-ens_z500aNorm_namer_8.png
08142016 Day 8+ Super Ensembles 500hgt_comp_sup610.gif

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2.80"' since last night in W League City. The vivid lightning was very impressive.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 9.43.47 AM.png
sambucol

srainhoutx wrote:While we have a break in the heavy rainfall this morning, the overnight ECMWF-EPS and Day 8+ Super Ensembles are suggesting the significant pattern change will continue throughout the coming workweek.
Cooler pattern?
Portastorm

jasons wrote:If the latest HRRR is to be believed, it shows things gradually weakening over the Houston area and almost nothing by 2AM. I'm suspicious of that, however.
The HRRR has really struggled this weekend in Texas as I've been following it closely. NWS folks have told me in the past that short-range models sometimes really struggle with these patterns driven by mesoscale boundaries and upper level systems. It's a complex pattern over us right now.
jasons2k

The rain paused long enough to check - I've had 3.41" since yesterday afternoon. Now my gauge - while it' a good Stratus gauge and has a pretty wide un-obscured view - it still has trees to its west and north in the neighbors' yards. (FWIW, This is the reason I'm not reporting on CoCoRas.)

During the real heavy downpour last night, the wind was howling out of the north and northwest, with sideways rain, so I don't know how accurate the total is. But still - knowing I got at least that much - time for a happy dance!
CrashTestDummy

~2.75" in my silly little glass 'test tube' gauge from the rain we had yesterday/last night. There was a LOT of lightning yesterday evening. We're over by Clover Field in Brazoria Co.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
redneckweather

Rain is quickly dieing out across most of the area. Looks like it will be a quiet day rain wise.
A.V.

redneckweather wrote:Rain is quickly dieing out across most of the area. Looks like it will be a quiet day rain wise.
Unless daytime heating occurs.
StormOne

A.V. wrote:
redneckweather wrote:Rain is quickly dieing out across most of the area. Looks like it will be a quiet day rain wise.
Unless daytime heating occurs.
I think that's the main concern right now. More development in the afternoon. We will have to wait and see how this will play out.
A transplant from Houston to Lincoln, Nebraska.
jasons2k

Yeah looking at satellite, it looks like some of these clouds may mix out and allow a few breaks of sun out this afternoon. Something to watch.
djmike

Not getting really anything today but sprinkles here in bmt. Mets here said today would be the day of possible flooding and the most rain. Well looks all light and nothing special. Curious now if this thing is over with.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
unome

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
256 PM CDT Sun Aug 14 2016

.DISCUSSION...
Shower coverage is beginning to increase across parts of Southeast Texas this afternoon as temperatures warm into the mid to upper 80s. Toyed earlier with the idea of canceling the Flash Flood Watch with the afternoon package, but current storm development (some of which is close to where our highest rainfall totals and associated significant creek/bayou rises were observed in the past 24 hours) in combination with the high precipitable water air mass that is not going away any time soon and lowered flash flood guidance values supports keeping the Watch up. Anticipating periods of showers and thunderstorms for the next several days, all of which will have some potential to produce locally heavy rainfall. Current thinking has large parts of the area receiving additional rainfall totals of 1 to 3 inches from now through the end of the day on Tuesday with isolated amounts of 5 inches or more not out of the question.

&&

.MARINE...
The large scale vicinity trough will generate periods of light rain to showery/isolated thunderstorms over the next several days. The onshore pressure gradient between lower southern Texas pressures and a Mid-Atlantic High will remain tight enough to produce a consistent 10 to near 15 knot southerly wind over the next couple of days. Overnight wind speeds will occansionally slightly exceed 15 knots and these sustained pre-dawn magnitudes may occur over a long enough duration to prompt short fuse caution flags through mid week. Sea heights will generally range between 3 to 4 feet with a 5 to 6 second period. A slightly tighter gradient Monday into Tuesday may increase sea heights by an extra half foot to foot but will most likely lengthen swell to 7 seconds.
  • Information