December 2016- End Of Year Forecast

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
DoctorMu

We hit a high of 80°F in CLL.

Expecting a 52°F drop in temperature tonight!

The front is just north of Hearne now. Siberian Express runaway train ahead of schedule.
DoctorMu

TexasBreeze wrote:That front is past Waco and racing south. I don't see it coming through around 12am. It will be much earlier...
9 pm in NW Houston.

I expect a wind shift soon in CLL
DoctorMu

Front is reaching Austin, before 7 pm.
skidog44

With some overriding moisture from the west
unome

some pretty strong north winds on the other side - kinda glad I didn't bother mulching leaves just yet, there will surely be more by Monday !

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 742,31.762
DoctorMu

Front has reached Bryan.
DoctorMu

unome wrote:some pretty strong north winds on the other side - kinda glad I didn't bother mulching leaves just yet, there will surely be more by Monday !

Good. Mine can blow in someone else's yard!
unome

DoctorMu wrote:
unome wrote:some pretty strong north winds on the other side - kinda glad I didn't bother mulching leaves just yet, there will surely be more by Monday !

Good. Mine can blow in someone else's yard!
the fences stop ours from doing that :(
unome

MontgomeryCoWx

Forecasts gonna bust. Many locations much colder than anticipated. Could see low to mid 20s in HGX area
Team #NeverSummer
unome

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:Forecasts gonna bust. Many locations much colder than anticipated. Could see low to mid 20s in HGX area
seriously doubt that

https://twitter.com/hashtag/houwx?f=twe ... t&src=hash

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/mwmap2.php? ... =0&limit=2
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Arctic front is plunging S very quickly. Temperatures are extremely cold across the Great Plains from the Dakota's into The Panhandle and N Texas. Clearly the double barrel Winter Storms in about 12 to 18 hours laid down enough snow allowing for much less airmass modification. Interestingly we began tracking this Arctic plunge and Winter Storm potential around the 3rd of December.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
christinac2016

So here in The Woodlands it's still muggy out - like 76. Waiting on the cold front to come through. Will have to bundle up when I take my walk/run in the morning. Mom is feeling a little high and might since she "just knew" it would be warm on Christmas Eve/Day. I just wish one of these days the weather proves her wrong.
jasons2k

From Jeff:

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Lindner, Jeffrey (Flood Control)" <Jeff.Lindner@hcfcd.org>
Date: December 17, 2016 at 8:33:36 PM CST
To: "Lindner, Jeffrey (Flood Control)" <Jeff.Lindner@hcfcd.org>
Subject: Arctic Front Update

Powerful arctic front moving across SE TX.

Freezing Warning extended until noon Sunday for all areas north of I-10.

Gale Warning all waters tonight and Sunday

Wind advisory all areas tonight and Sunday

Wind Chill Advisory for the coastal bend tonight and Sunday

Waco has fallen from 76 to 32 in 4 hours. Front has cleared College Station and will reach the US 59 corridor by 1000pm and be off the coast by midnight-100am. Winds of 45-50mph are likely right behind the front with numerous upstream observations showing frequent gusts between 40-45mph. Temperatures will free fall from the mid 70’s to the mid 50’s within about 5 minutes and then into the 40’s within about an hour after the frontal passage. Freeze line is marching southward and is already to Waco with Georgetown to 36. Think the cold air advection and intensity of the upstream air mass will force the freeze line to I-10 by sunrise Sunday. It will be brutally cold Sunday morning with temperatures at or below freezing and winds gusting to near 40mph pushing wind chills into the mid 10’s to mid 20’s over the entire area. Think the NAM is doing better with the temperatures early Sunday with the temperatures continuing to fall through mid to late morning to below freezing before a slight rebound in the afternoon. I am starting to have my doubts that many areas will even achieve 40 on Sunday with such robust cold air advection from a frigid upstream air mass…much will this will depend on when the skies begin to clear out.

Latest guidance suggesting Hard Freeze Warning may be needed for a portion of SE TX for Sunday night with lows below 25…think this area will be north of HWY 105. Wind chills Monday AM falling into the 1’s and low 10’s.

Jeff Lindner
Director Hydrologic Operations Division/Meteorologist
Harris County Flood Control District
9900 Northwest Freeway | Houston, Texas 77092
713-684-4000 (main) | 713-684-4165 (direct) |
jeff.lindner@hcfcd.org | Twitter: @jefflindner1
Portastorm

Temps here in Travis County have dropped about 30 degrees in 2 hours. Front came through 645-715 pm
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Its on the way and moving across N portions of SE TX currently. A narrow line of showers have developed along the Blue Norther headed rapidly toward the Upper TX Coast tonight and have increased slightly. From watching the radar time lapse the line of showers have moved 21 miles in 32 minutes which basically equates to 40 MPH.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 9.04.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 9.04.10 PM.png (165.32 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
MontgomeryCoWx

unome wrote:
MontgomeryCoWx wrote:Forecasts gonna bust. Many locations much colder than anticipated. Could see low to mid 20s in HGX area
seriously doubt that

https://twitter.com/hashtag/houwx?f=twe ... t&src=hash

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/mwmap2.php? ... =0&limit=2

Go see Jeffs latest. My area of HGX could bottom out in low 20s.
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

30°F drop in just over an hour in CLL

From should be clobbering Beltway 8 about now.
redneckweather

Hit my house near Lake Conroe at 9:05. Get ready folks, this front has some serious elbows to it! Wind is screaming out of the north right now with huge temp drop.
Ounce

Hasn't passed through Tomball nor the Woodlands, yet, but has cleared Magnolia at Bear Branch Elem school.
  • Information