More cold air on the way next week!?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
sleetstorm

So how long would anyone in southeast Texas have to see and hear sleet/snow tonight/tomorrow morning as the precip. is leaving before all has completely left the state? Thirty minutes to a few hours at best?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxman57 wrote:
New European run has cross-Polar flow developing in 8 days with a 1055+MB high coming across the Pole and south through Canada by 10 days.

With moisture as well. ;)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
kayci

srainhoutx wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
New European run has cross-Polar flow developing in 8 days with a 1055+MB high coming across the Pole and south through Canada by 10 days.

Bite your tongue!
ticka1

srainhoutx wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

Getting giddy with anticipation.....8 days is a long way out..but not that far away!!!! :lol: :lol:
snowman65

Accuweather calling for mix of rain/snow for Orange tomorrow morning.......... :D
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I wonder ( and I always wonder)..if March would have snow here? I am thinking you never know. This has been one odd winter. Well summer was an odd one too. I mean from the searing heat (Yeah, I know Wxman 57 loved that) to bone chilling cold, this has been one to write home about. So Wxman 57 ( or anyone else)..how has the GFS and ECMWF
performed this winter? I mean the December 4, December 25 and now February 10 snows?
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxman57 wrote:
kayci wrote:Texas City: 45 degrees on the north side of my house right now and a constant steady rain since 6:00 a.m. I don't expect ice of any kind today or tonite, and will pray that it stays that way. Summer cannot come soon enough for me. :cry:

New European run has cross-Polar flow developing in 8 days with a 1055+MB high coming across the Pole and south through Canada by 10 days. Ready to book that flight to Tahiti with me?

I am with you. I might just move down to Miami or Key West. My friend went there during Christmas and they complained about it getting to 60 or 50 for the low (which by the way almost never happens). :D
Portastorm

srainhoutx wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

Oh good ... we all want another cold rain event! :roll:

You folks don't need to go to Tahiti to escape the winter weather. Just come to your state's capital city ... where it NEVER sleets or snows longer than five minutes. I guarantee it!
kayci

Portastorm wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

Oh good ... we all want another cold rain event! :roll:

You folks don't need to go to Tahiti to escape the winter weather. Just come to your state's capital city ... where it NEVER sleets or snows longer than five minutes. I guarantee it!
Four years prior to Ike I lived in the So.Austin area and we had an ice event for 5 days straight (2005 I think). Stuck in my house because I couldn't get my truck out of the 1.5" thick iced driveway. no thanks. I'm packin my bags and flying south.
Portastorm

That may have happened then ... but we have not had a winter weather event in three years now. And, of course, every storm this winter has bypassed us. You're safe here! We have a giant Omega Block placed over the city and it efficiently sends all winter weather in every direction but Austin.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

can somebody post the link to the euro and canadian. i have lost both links--AGAIN! The PSU site only goes out to 168.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Candy Cane wrote:can somebody post the link to the euro and canadian. i have lost both links--AGAIN! The PSU site only goes out to 168.
EC...

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts ... 2010021112!!/

Canadian...

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/model_fo ... bal_e.html

GFS vs EC...

http://www.met.sjsu.edu/weather/ecmwf.html
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
swmmom

Thanks Weatherman57

I guess I can keep hoping .. ................

PS Everyone is friendly!!!

Swmmom to 2016 Olympian
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Thanks for the links, Steve! They are like triple saved now. Man, the upcoming pattern looks icy cold for the south...

BTW, everybody should glance at the Florida panhandle. How often do you see Pensacola, FL under a Winter Storm Warning?!?!?! Incredible.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Candy Cane wrote:Thanks for the links, Steve! They are like triple saved now. Man, the upcoming pattern looks icy cold for the south...
Take a look at the 18Z NAM FWIW. ;)

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... _012.shtml

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... _018.shtml

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Wowzers. Colder yet. We may in fact see a change over, no? It reminds me very much of March 2008 when it all started as rain and then briefly changed to a moderate wet snow for a few hours before ending. That was in College Station...

As the low comes near, the heights will collapse behind it and that's when it would happen. Man, I sure wouldn't rule it out....
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Looks like the core of the upper low will pass just to our north...

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/models/noaap ... te/SCR/WV/
Last edited by srainhoutx on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Took out image BBC code
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Notice the surface temps have held steady this afternoon and some have started slowly falling this afternoon.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Okay, what am I doing wrong as far as posting images?
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Candy Cane wrote:Wowzers. Colder yet. We may in fact see a change over, no? It reminds me very much of March 2008 when it all started as rain and then briefly changed to a moderate wet snow for a few hours before ending. That was in College Station...

As the low comes near, the heights will collapse behind it and that's when it would happen. Man, I sure wouldn't rule it out....

Given what you are seeing, what do you think the odds are of the changeover and would be this be I10 and north?
  • Information