February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Warmup Begins

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
danmaloney

Rip76 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:03 pm
danmaloney wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:48 pm The euro is smoking something called highway 1$5.
Haha nice.
You owe me a new keyboard.
The evil that is highway 1%5 must be vanquished from the Earth.
Stormlover2020

Week away won’t know till Tuesday.
danmaloney

Im going to go down to Mary Queen Catholic church here in Friendswood and ask my priest to perform an exorcism on highway 1$5 and the Euro model.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

danmaloney wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:48 pm The euro is smoking something called highway 1$5.
I literally LOL'd. This wins the internet today. Thanks for the laugh.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The cold is coming...
Attachments
EtfPD6GUYAAIn2l.png
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
christinac2016

My run club has runners participating in a race on Saturday 2/13 in Huntsville - I think. They are worried about mud and falling. It's a trail race.
Kingwood36

srainhoutx wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:34 pm The cold is coming...
Pretty much a given that it is coming...just don't know about precip yet
Kingwood36

I've always wanted to ask this..how is it possible for the Rio grand valley to get frozen precip being farther south than Houston? I remember times when they got snow and sleet all the way down there and houston and surround areas didn't get anything
Cpv17

Kingwood36 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:46 pm I've always wanted to ask this..how is it possible for the Rio grand valley to get frozen precip being farther south than Houston? I remember times when they got snow and sleet all the way down there and houston and surround areas didn't get anything
Probably because we’re closer to the warm Gulf waters. Keeps us insulated and the mountain range in eastern Oklahoma also blocks a lot of cold from coming our way. Someone else can probably elaborate on that. Idk much about it.
don

Cpv17 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:01 pm
Kingwood36 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:46 pm I've always wanted to ask this..how is it possible for the Rio grand valley to get frozen precip being farther south than Houston? I remember times when they got snow and sleet all the way down there and houston and surround areas didn't get anything
Probably because we’re closer to the warm Gulf waters. Keeps us insulated and the mountain range in eastern Oklahoma also blocks a lot of cold from coming our way. Someone else can probably elaborate on that. Idk much about it.
Yes that is true, a lot of it has to do with geography, and also the Coriolis Effect.But climatology speaking southeast Texas has experienced a LOT more winter weather events than deep south Texas has.But the Coriolis Effect alters the progression of fronts and tends to pull them more southward than eastward which is why arctic fronts sometimes reach parts of south Texas before us.And then there's the Ozarks shadow, which slows down the progression of cold air advection around here when we have a northeast flow aloft.Due to the mountains blocking/slowing the progression of cold air even though i notice models tend to overdue the effect of the Ozarks shadow around here.
Cpv17

Long ways to go here. Models keep pushing the timing back :roll:
Kingwood36

Its going to spill over when it wants to..not when a computer models says its time...but who knows lol im just a lurker
jasons2k

Mr. Billingsley has the precip gone before the real cold arrives, and his forecast bottoms-out at 32 degrees on Valentine’s Day morning. Nothing extreme.
vci_guy2003

jasons2k wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:45 pm Mr. Billingsley has the precip gone before the real cold arrives, and his forecast bottoms-out at 32 degrees on Valentine’s Day morning. Nothing extreme.
I'm sure he'll have egg on his face for being too conservative now lol
Kingwood36

I'm not paying attention to any news channel forecast this far out
DoctorMu

don wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:06 pm
Yes that is true, a lot of it has to do with geography, and also the Coriolis Effect.But climatology speaking southeast Texas has experienced a LOT more winter weather events than deep south Texas has.But the Coriolis Effect alters the progression of fronts and tends to pull them more southward than eastward which is why arctic fronts sometimes reach parts of south Texas before us.And then there's the Ozarks shadow, which slows down the progression of cold air advection around here when we have a northeast flow aloft.Due to the mountains blocking/slowing the progression of cold air even though i notice models tend to overdue the effect of the Ozarks shadow around here.
Ouachitas? The Ozarks are barely in NE OK. The Ozark's aren't really talk enough or even technically mountains built by crust rising. They are a plateau/escarpment that is eroding over 100s of millions of years. Just like the Hill Country (Edward plateau escarpment) doesn't block jack****. The Ouchitas are taller and are an ancient mountain range.

OK's highest altitude/point is in its panhandle.
Cpv17

DoctorMu wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:23 pm

Ouachitas? The Ozarks are barely in NE OK. The Ozark's aren't really talk enough or even technically mountains built by crust rising. They are a plateau/escarpment that is eroding over 100s of millions of years. Just like the Hill Country (Edward plateau escarpment) doesn't block jack****. The Ouchitas are taller and are an ancient mountain range.

Yes, that’s the one I was talking about.
DoctorMu

Canadian still bringing it. This looks like ice.

txbear

DoctorMu wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:23 pm

Man I had the same thoughts. Spent some time in the Ouachitas and while they’re nice between Mena and say Hot Springs (yes they stretch just into E OK), they’re not really shadow producing. Seem a bit out of place for any effect on our weather at any rate.
TexasBreeze

I remember quite a few years ago on this (khou forum back then) a poster would stir up others by talking about how all of the pine trees of east Tx would hinder arctic fronts. The person stood firm on that silly idea!
  • Information