February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Warmup Begins

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

House temp down to 57. Very slow and spotty internet. This is not any fun at all now. What a miserable sloppy icy mess. Boo hiss!

Come on spring!!!
Cromagnum

jasons2k wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:56 am House temp down to 57. Very slow and spotty internet. This is not any fun at all now. What a miserable sloppy icy mess. Boo hiss!

Come on spring!!!
Ours got all the way down to 46. Talk about suck...
txsnowmaker

Cromagnum wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:05 pm
jasons2k wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:56 am House temp down to 57. Very slow and spotty internet. This is not any fun at all now. What a miserable sloppy icy mess. Boo hiss!

Come on spring!!!
Ours got all the way down to 46. Talk about suck...
Yep. Got down to 42 at mine yesterday am. Could see my own breath. Hang in there.
BlueJay

Any thoughts or indications whether or not there may be any other big bad arctic air coming down after this week?
djmike

Finally at 36 in Beaumont. Im exhausted. Haven’t been back to work since Friday. Things should be melting now. Thank goodness no pipe issues at my home but plenty of neighbors were affected unfortunately. Went and assisted with two neighbors. Prayers for all that had to endure worse than me. This is usually when I say, yay that was fun, exciting and ready for the next one! .....ummmm no. Im done. Exhausted checking the house and making preventative measures. Been a lot of sleepless night. Goodnight! God bless! And on to SPRING!
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Kingwood36

BlueJay wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:51 pm Any thoughts or indications whether or not there may be any other big bad arctic air coming down after this week?
Haven't heard of anything yet
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wednesday afternoon weather briefing from Jeff:

Upper level storm system responsible for the freezing rain over portions of SE TX this morning is exiting to the east

Winter Weather Advisory will be in effect for tonight into Thursday for some additional light precipitation

Hard Freeze Watch has been issued for Thursday night and Friday morning

Upper level disturbance responsible for the overnight and morning rain and freezing rain over the area is moving off to the NE with rain ending. Surface temperatures have warmed into the mid 30’s over many areas ending the freezing rain and resulting in a slow melting of accumulations of ice. Temperatures may rise a few additional degrees today, before falling below freezing again this evening north of I-10. Ice will be slow to melt this afternoon with temperatures only in the mid to upper 30’s and lack of solar insolation.

Tonight an upper level disturbance along and ahead of an arctic frontal boundary may result in a band of light sleet and snow that spreads across the area from WNW to ESE. It is unclear what areas could be impacted by this feature, but the general model agreement is that precipitation and amounts will be light. With that said, and with low temperatures below freezing, a few additional icy bridges and overpasses will be possible. Temperatures will rise into the mid and upper 30’s again Thursday afternoon as skies clear.

Friday Morning:

With clear skies and light winds, a hard freeze is increasing likely over the area with temperatures falling into the upper 10’s north of HWY 105 and low to mid 20’s across the rest of the area. Temperatures are not expected to be as cold as early this week, nor the extreme cold last as long which should mitigate additional damage to infrastructure. However, pipes should be protected as temperatures generally below 25 degrees can cause concerns for pipes to break.

Much warmer conditions can be expected this weekend as this historic arctic outbreak modifies and the arctic high pressure shifts to the east allowing onshore flow of warmer air off the Gulf of Mexico.

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Cromagnum

Chance of any of this slop re-freezing on roadways this evening anywhere in our area, or is that mostly off to our north?
davidiowx

Cromagnum wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:49 pm Chance of any of this slop re-freezing on roadways this evening anywhere in our area, or is that mostly off to our north?
I’d say pretty high chance. Temp has actually dropped a degree to 35 at my house the last hour or so. It will get down below freezing tonight.
TXWeatherMan

HRRR has a decent snow band for me in Montgomery county tomorrow morning
  • Information