2023 Hurricane Season Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Stratton20

That’s probably the only way we are going to get widespread rain at this point until el nino really kicks in starting late september
user:null

Stratton20 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:03 pm That’s probably the only way we are going to get widespread rain at this point until el nino really kicks in starting late september
I know. What I meant is that if the cyclone is organized, it HAS to hit Texas for good relief ... otherwise, it will heat/dry even more and whip fires if it goes towards Louisiana/east.

Whereas if nothing forms, it's a more disorganized inverted trough/diffuse surge, which will make it easier to retain rain chances even if some CoC goes east.
DoctorMu

user:null wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:27 am
Stratton20 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:03 pm That’s probably the only way we are going to get widespread rain at this point until el nino really kicks in starting late september
I know. What I meant is that if the cyclone is organized, it HAS to hit Texas for good relief ... otherwise, it will heat/dry even more and whip fires if it goes towards Louisiana/east.

Whereas if nothing forms, it's a more disorganized inverted trough/diffuse surge, which will make it easier to retain rain chances even if some CoC goes east.
Right - we want to order extra lemonade - a weak tropical system, with widespread rain, just a breeze, maybe gale force gusts.
Stratton20

Some 12z EPS members do suggest some mischief as the wave approaching the leeward islands tracks westward, notice the lack of ridging over texas hmmm, its centered over florida
Attachments
1CCF8AA5-F474-4C7B-AAE8-032441891C69.png
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:21 pm Some 12z EPS members do suggest some mischief as the wave approaching the leeward islands tracks westward, notice the lack of ridging over texas hmmm, its centered over florida
This is why I’m not throwing in the flag yet and still feel like at least somewhat of a pattern change is coming for the second half of the month.
Stratton20

Cpv17 im pretty much 100% confident their will be a weakness in the ridge down the road, ensembles show the ridge breaking down by the 17th or so leaving us wide open, will be interesting to see if the EPS guidance starts to increase again
Cpv17

From what I can remember, this is the warmest I’ve ever seen the Gulf. And it continues to rise..craziness!

Stratton20

Cpv17 holy moly! Ive never seen it that warm either
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:41 pm Cpv17 holy moly! Ive never seen it that warm either
It’s currently the warmest waters in the world.
Stratton20

Cpv17 wow! Its just a matter of time when a tropical wave makes it into the gulf, if all other conditions aline , someone could be in very serious trouble along the gulf coast down the road
jasons2k

That whole thing is as warm or warmer than the infamous "loop current" that fueled Katrina and Rita. :shock:
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:33 pm That whole thing is as warm or warmer than the infamous "loop current" that fueled Katrina and Rita. :shock:
Yeah, no kidding. It’s freaking nuts how ridiculously warm the Gulf is. And what’s even crazier is that it continues to warm. That type of water could easily support a cat 5 in the right conditions. Scary to even think about. And something I’d never want to experience.
Dls2010r

It’s hot and I might be wrong but I’ve been told Galveston bay is shallow!!! Hard time supporting a cat 5. I’m not a weather guru but that’s what I’ve been told.
Stratton20

Even if the water is shallow their, their is plenty of deep warm water off the texas coast, and if a hurricane takes advantage of that, a little shallower water wont do much if its coming in as a cat 4-5
Dls2010r

I’m no meteorologist but I’ve been told it won’t support a cat 5. Beaumont different story.
Cpv17

Dls2010r wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:36 pm I’m no meteorologist but I’ve been told it won’t support a cat 5. Beaumont different story.
I think you might be confused. Storms don’t form/strengthen over bays. They strengthen over large bodies of water like the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea, Atlantic Ocean…

If a storm comes barreling into an area as a cat 5, it’s not just going to significantly weaken just cuz it’s crossing over a small shallow area of water.

Water temps in the Gulf of Mexico are at record high levels. It would easily support a Cat 4/5 hurricane right now given the right conditions such as low wind shear and a moist environment with rising air.
Stratton20

Kind of like hurricane laura back in 2020, it took advantage of those warm deep gulf waters and nearly became a cat 5, the shallow coastal shelf waters as it approached the coast pretty much did nothing to weaken laura
jasons2k

The west coat of Florida is extremely shallow and that did nothing to inhibit Charley or Matthew. With the right conditions, a Cat 5 would have no problem maintaining that intensity right up until landfall in Galveston.

Remember Harvey? It’s not much different in Port A. Ike was also strengthening at landfall.
MontgomeryCoWx

jasons2k wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:32 pm The west coat of Florida is extremely shallow and that did nothing to inhibit Charley or Matthew. With the right conditions, a Cat 5 would have no problem maintaining that intensity right up until landfall in Galveston.

Remember Harvey? It’s not much different in Port A. Ike was also strengthening at landfall.
Took the words out of my mouth.
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:47 pm
Dls2010r wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:36 pm I’m no meteorologist but I’ve been told it won’t support a cat 5. Beaumont different story.
I think you might be confused. Storms don’t form/strengthen over bays. They strengthen over large bodies of water like the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea, Atlantic Ocean…

If a storm comes barreling into an area as a cat 5, it’s not just going to significantly weaken just cuz it’s crossing over a small shallow area of water.

Water temps in the Gulf of Mexico are at record high levels. It would easily support a Cat 4/5 hurricane right now given the right conditions such as low wind shear and a moist environment with rising air.
Right. A hurricane builds its strength over vast, warm bodies of water. Their momentum carries them through the coast, sometimes staying together for awhile inland if they are large or powerful enough.
  • Information