August 2021: Major Hurricane Ida/SE Louisiana Landfall

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Rip76

txbear wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:54 pm Able to see a nice little meso-circulation just east of Corpus on HGX and CRP radars. Am I correct in thinking this is the low that is instigating what little shear Ida is experiencing, and the weakness between its eastern periphery and the western portion of the ridge is where Ida will track?

I tend to stay out of the tropical discussions as its not my forte.
Funny, I noticed this little feature this morning.
Kingwood36

Born and raised here and lived here my entire life..I can count on 1 hand how many times I've been to the beach lol..I HATE salt water and this poor *** excuse for a beach we have..give me fresh water lakes and rivers
Stratton20

Jasons2k no offense taken! I dont get in the water at galveston anymore, florida beaches are so much better
jasons2k

Wow someone posted the SHIPS RI PROBS on S2K. It's just insane. :shock: :shock:

Unfortunately it's not that surprising given the setup.
Texaspirate11

jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:47 pm Wow someone posted the SHIPS RI PROBS on S2K. It's just insane. :shock: :shock:

Very scary. I hope the vulnerable heed the warnings to leave!
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:16 pm No offense to the native Texans but I don’t get in the water here and rarely go to the beach here. I’m spoiled growing up in Tampa and having a 2nd home down in Indian Rocks. Now that’s a real beach 🏖 (shhh but don’t tell anyone). When the kids are done with school we are outta here.
Same here. Very spoiled by beaches in Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina although there can be turbidity because of high winds, waves, and currents off the NC. But it's more of an aqua turbidity with just a bit of brown.

The Brazos and Trinity Rivers carry some silt, adding to our brownish GoM water color.
Cpv17

Kingwood36 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:21 pm Born and raised here and lived here my entire life..I can count on 1 hand how many times I've been to the beach lol..I HATE salt water and this poor *** excuse for a beach we have..give me fresh water lakes and rivers
The only time I go down to the coast here is to go fishing. I love saltwater fishing! You’ll rarely ever catch me going to the beaches here. Even down in South Padre Island the water is still disgusting. I have no problem with saltwater though. I just have a problem with the disgusting water. I’ve also never been to a beach outside of Texas so I’ve never personally experienced a beautiful beach. Hopefully one day I will. As far as rivers go, they’re also disgusting around here. You gotta go to the Hill Country area to see a beautiful river.
jasons2k

DoctorMu wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:51 pm
jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:16 pm No offense to the native Texans but I don’t get in the water here and rarely go to the beach here. I’m spoiled growing up in Tampa and having a 2nd home down in Indian Rocks. Now that’s a real beach 🏖 (shhh but don’t tell anyone). When the kids are done with school we are outta here.
Same here. Very spoiled by beaches in Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina although there can be turbidity because of high winds, waves, and currents off the NC. But it's more of an aqua turbidity with just a bit of brown.

The Brazos and Trinity Rivers carry some silt, adding to our brownish GoM water color.
Yep, nice beaches there too but the Atlantic side is different, even in Florida. Not as much silica white sand. St. Augustine has pink sand (more like finely crushed shells) on its beaches and it's pretty unique and beautiful.

We lived in Savannah for 4 years and spent the first three months of that living in a rented beach cottage on Tybee Island. I was 10 but remember it like was yesterday - it was so peaceful and the giant sand dunes were my own endless backyard. Once our house was finished, we moved to Wilmington Island. We still went to Tybee almost every weekend and occasionally to Hilton Head. The water is nice but not as clear as Florida. The sand is a little on the silty side with a more brown color, likely sediment from all the rivers and the salt marshes in the Low Country. But still what I would consider a "real beach" unlike whatever you want to call the water line down in Galveston.

Anyway, I have noticed a shift in tone today with folks in SE LA taking Ida seriously. I hope everyone heeds the warnings and gets the heck out. I cannot emphasize this enough - if there is doubt, play it safe and evacuate.
vci_guy2003

jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:47 pm Wow someone posted the SHIPS RI PROBS on S2K. It's just insane. :shock: :shock:

What does it show?
Stratton20

As unfortunate as it is, there will be people who stay behind and try to ride out this hurricane, I never understand why some people stay behind
Scott747

vci_guy2003 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:13 pm

What does it show?
Keeping it simple... It's showing about a 75% chance of an increase of 45 kts in 36 hrs. The 75% is a little jaw dropping.

Then max strength near landfall between the two intensity models of somewhere around 120-130 kts. Roughly upper end 4 to nearing cat 5 territory.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

4 PM Advisory now calls for a Cat 4 at landfall. Hurricane Warnings hoisted along the Northern Gulf Coast.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Scott747

If there was any issue with all the extra data being ingested into the models for the 12z cycle they hopefully have been resolved for the 18z cycle

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ALERT ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
1805Z FRI AUG 27 2021

...WEB SITE ACCESS RESTORED...

The earlier problem with Website Access issues due to Boulder
Fiber Cut has been resolved.
jasons2k

Meanwhile…thought is was supposed to rain today 😗😗😗
Stormlover2020

jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:48 pm Meanwhile…thought is was supposed to rain today 😗😗😗
Jason and Scott, do ensembles really help??
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Many Prayers and thoughts for our LA friends, neighbors, and families. This brings back 2005 memories.
redneckweather

jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:05 pm
Cromagnum wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:30 pm I know in the past when storms have gone off to the east to mess with the Mississippi River flow, we have had blue water in Galveston Bay. Is this looking like a possibility this time?

Not trying to be insensitive to our Cajun cousins, but looking for lemonade out of lemons here.
Our brown surf at the beach is just that - brown surf due to overturning the very fine clay-like sediment our beaches are made of. Beaches in Florida are white due to big granules of white silica sand. It mostly falls to the bottom and leaves the water blue. Our fine silty, brown-colored sand gets easily suspended in the water and therefore we get brown surf.

It’s not sediment from the Mississippi river. Most of that gets discharged south and southeast of the Delta, deep into the gulf. If you go a couple of hundred yards offshore from Galveston and get away from the turbidity of the surf, the gulf water is clear blue.

The “blue surf” phenomenon occurs in Galveston when winds are allowed to remain still for an extended period of time. The water goes calm and all those suspended particles fall and it clears the water.
Actually not true. I fish the Galveston surf a lot and it has been very clear in rough conditions. It all has to do with wind direction in the Galveston surf. West or southwest wind churns up the sandbars while a southeast wind or north wind keeps the swell calm over the sandbars and let's the water clear up. Those are the days I wait for to fish the surf.
Cromagnum

Lots of partying on Bourbon Street based on the newscast considering what is coming.
DoctorMu

It's amazing how far inland the hurricane warnings are.
Attachments
MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL3_ww1_1280x720.jpg
144701_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

DoctorMu wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:36 pm It's amazing how far inland the hurricane warnings are.
Also amazing that in a little less than 24 hours we are expected to have a major hurricane on our hands when the system is currently a weak category one. Unfortunately, as cromagnum mentioned I hope everyone across the state is prepared for the impacts this storm will likely bring.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
  • Information