May: IAH Does Not Reach 90 During May. 1970 Mark Achieved

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
unome

this really shows what that low is pumping out

current: http://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/public ... atest.jpeg

from a little before 4 AM Tue

Rip76

It's going to get a little tricky here in about an hour.
unome

wind is really blowing here now & rain has started
Rip76

Tornado Warning for Harris County until 7:30 am.
unome

Rip76 wrote:Tornado Warning for Harris County until 7:30 am.
current images: http://wdssii.nssl.noaa.gov/web/wdss2/p ... ndex.shtml

velocity loop http://wdssii.nssl.noaa.gov/web/wdss2/p ... loop.shtml

Rip76

Streets are flooded in my neighborhood, just outside of Pearland.

I did figure there would be a few more logged on this morning, but I'm assuming the commute and the short week has everyone busy.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update from Jeff:

Band of moderate to heavy rainfall moving southeast into Galveston Bay with widespread light rainfall continuing behind the main line.

Rainfall Amounts:

Rainfall in the last 3 hours has averaged .75 to 1.5 inches across Harris County. An additional .25 to .50 of an inch will be possible over the next 1-2 hours.

Rainfall amounts of this magnitude will cause some street flooding in the normal low lying flood prone areas.

Channel Conditions:

South Mayde Creek at Greenhouse Rd is out of banks and 1.70 feet from impacting structures and is very close to flooding Greenhouse Road south of the bridge crossing.

Langham Creek: rising in the last 2 hours about 3 feet on the lower end, slowly rising on the upper end

Bear Creek: rising

-FM 529 close to 3 feet below top of bank

Cypress Creek: Cypress is rising

-Huffmeister: 3 feet below top of bank

Little Cypress Creek: rising

-Becker: 3 feet below top of bank

Horsepen Creek: starting to crest from latest round of heavy rainfall.

Buffalo Bayou: Rising

HCFCD Actions:

Clear Creek 2nd Outlet Gates were completely opened at 7:45 a.m.

Forecast:

Current thunderstorm complex is starting to weaken as is pushes toward the coast with a large area of light rainfall extending westward to near College Station. Some additional storms are attempting to develop along and west of I-35. Will have to see how the air mass is able to recover this morning for any additional afternoon/evening development.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

An additional 1.37 inches of rain in the gauge for a total of 5.62 inches since 4:00 PM yesterday at my location in NW Harris County.
Attachments
05272014 1324 Z TX VIS latest.jpg
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Rip76

Looks like more moderate rainfall on the way.
jasons2k

I don't know how much I've had today - I have not been able to check because it's still raining. It guess a little over an inch because the overflow bucket has a just a little water in it.

The stuff out west looks like it is building even more, too.
redneckweather

I poured an inch out of my rain gauge after the first round yesterday and I had 1 3/4" this morning before I headed off to work. We got some moderate rainfall fixing to slide into the area up this way so probably have over 2 inches out of this 2nd batch of rain that started this morning.

Yep, I see rain developing behind this rain out west.
Rip76

I had roughly between 3.5 - 4 inches today of rain today.
BlueJay

Reporting 1.83 inches of fresh rain IMBY for today - so far.

How nice!
unome

http://www.harriscountyfws.org

Little Cypress Creek @ Kluge Road
Showing rainfall totals from 5/26/2014 10:00 AM to 5/27/2014 10:00 AM CDT
6.04"

http://www.harriscountyfws.org/GageDeta ... b54c6d2d73

srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The sun is out and temps are recovering across NW Harris County. It looks like another embedded short wave disturbance is rotating beneath the upper low across Central Texas as storms slowly develop along an old outflow boundary. The GFS suggests that the upper low will eventually drift toward East Texas/SW Louisiana and fill in later in the week keeping daily rain chances going into Saturday at least.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
ticka1

had 4 1/2 inches here at the house. yard is flooded
sambucol

I know we are in for more rain this week, but are we in for more bad weather this week?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

sambucol wrote:I know we are in for more rain this week, but are we in for more bad weather this week?
It looks like heavy storm chances will continue most of the week. We are getting rumbles of thunder once again up here and skies are getting dark once again. The better chance for any severe weather could develop later today to our W as additional storm develop.

Attachments
05272014 SPC day1otlk_1630.gif

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update from Jeff:

Large complex of thunderstorms has progressed across the area this morning dropping 1-2 inches of rainfall. Fast storm motions thus far have precluded widespread flooding, but has resulted in additional rises on area watersheds that were still in recession from Monday’s rainfall.

The current complex of storms has stabilized the air mass some across SE TX with temperatures currently running in the low to mid 60’s. The upper level low is located near Wichita Falls, TX and moving eastward currently with disturbances rotating around the main low center. One such additional disturbance is currently moving through central TX. Radar from Austin/San Antonio is showing additional development ahead of this disturbance along and E of I-35 along a SW moving outflow boundary. Visible images show a good feed of moisture advecting north across S TX toward the San Antonio area and the air mass over SC TX has yet the be worked over by a complex of storms.

Model guidance is not in very good agreement on how to handle the next few rounds of heavy rainfall and are not handling the current activity overly well. Feel the air mass will need some time to recover this afternoon, but with additional storms approaching quickly from the west there may not be much sun.

TX TECH model attempts to show some banding features and even a hint at core rainfall with the parent upper level storm system over the next 48 hours which would not be a total surprise considering the system is sitting in a tropical environment and may begin to behave like a decaying tropical system.

Moisture levels are expected to remain high with both favorable Gulf inflow and a mid and high level tap from tropical system Amanda.

With all that said…expect at least another 2-3 rounds of thunderstorms with heavy rainfall being the main threats. Timing of these rounds is difficult to determine as well as where the location of the heaviest rain may fall. Expect an additional 2-3 inches of rainfall with isolated amounts of 6 inches or greater over the next 48 hours. Given the now saturating ground conditions run-off into area rivers, creeks, and bayous will be increasing along with the potential to bring systems to flood stage.

Hydro:

Excessive rainfall on Monday has led to significant rises on area watersheds.

San Bernard River:

River is rising above flood stage currently at East Bernard and will continue to rise to near 19.0 ft Thursday morning. Flood wave moving downstream may result in flood stage threshold being reached at Boling also. The current RFC forecast takes the river at Boling well above flood stage and into moderate flooding early Wednesday, but this may be over-estimated and I would like to see at least one additional RFC run to get a good feeling on if the river is going to get that high. If it does, flooding near the river may impact some subdivisions.

South Mayde Creek:

Creek is overbanks at Greenhouse Rd. Creek began a secondary rise this morning, but has been at a flat crest since 800am. Water is over portions of Greenhouse Rd and flooding much of Cullen Park. A very slow fall is expected this afternoon

Cypress Creek:

Creek is 3-5 feet from bankfull from Katy Hockley downstream to I-45. An additional rise of a couple of feet is likely this afternoon as run-off reaches the main channel. Will be watching Cypress Creek closely

Additional rainfall this afternoon and over the next few days will slow recessions and possibly produce additional rises.

Residents should remain alert to creek, bayou, and river levels and be prepared to take action if needed.

24-Hr Rainfall Totals (Harris County):
05272014 Jeff image001.png

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
BlueJay

67 F at 12:17 pm. This seems rather chilly for this time of year.
  • Information