November Weather Discussion. Rollercoaster Pattern.

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of our longtime members, Kludge ( located between College Station and Huntsville) has an awesome personal weather station site. Perhaps he can post a link so our folks can monitor the progress of the front. :mrgreen:
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Portastorm wrote:Winds have shifted to north here in Austin ... visibility down to near zero in heavy snow. (OK, just kidding! :lol: )

Seriously, looks like Wxman57's comment last night about the front looking a few hours ahead of schedule is playing out. Wouldn't be surprised to see fropa here in AUS by 12 noon. The NWS forecast is for fropa early afternoon.

Gonna be a chilly one tonight at DKR. Good football weather!
I'm measuring the front at about 95 nautical miles NNW of Austin as of about 7:30. Seems to be moving at 25-28 kts, so that's about 3.5 hours to Austin at that speed. Between 11am and noon, allowing for some slow down.

Yeah, good weather for football if you're in your living room, which is where I'll be watching the Aggies beat UT. ;-)
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

srainhoutx wrote:One of our longtime members, Kludge ( located between College Station and Huntsville) has an awesome personal weather station site. Perhaps he can post a link so our folks can monitor the progress of the front. :mrgreen:
Weather Underground is a great site for monitoring temps across the state. Just zoom out or move the map north to watch the temps changing in real-time:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/? ... &wmo=99999
Portastorm

wxman57 wrote:
Portastorm wrote:Winds have shifted to north here in Austin ... visibility down to near zero in heavy snow. (OK, just kidding! :lol: )

Seriously, looks like Wxman57's comment last night about the front looking a few hours ahead of schedule is playing out. Wouldn't be surprised to see fropa here in AUS by 12 noon. The NWS forecast is for fropa early afternoon.

Gonna be a chilly one tonight at DKR. Good football weather!
I'm measuring the front at about 95 nautical miles NNW of Austin as of about 7:30. Seems to be moving at 25-28 kts, so that's about 3.5 hours to Austin at that speed. Between 11am and noon, allowing for some slow down.

Yeah, good weather for football if you're in your living room, which is where I'll be watching the Aggies beat UT. ;-)
Thanks for that ... I'm smoking turkey and a brisket for our meal today. That is good planning info! Once the winds change direction, I'll be smoking out my neighbors on the other side of my house! :lol:

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right about tonight as well. If both teams play like they have been playing, I see the Aggies winning by at least 10. And being a UT alum and even former employee, it pains me to write it.
perk

Good mornig, and happy Thanksgiving to all members and your families. I live in Richmond just south of Sugarland what time should i expect the frontal passage.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Managed to get the wife up early, so we're biking downtown to watch the parade and then the opening of the Discovery Green ice rink. Oops, I see that they delayed the opening of the ice rink to 4pm because of warm temps. But that's about the time the storms will be hitting, so no ice rink at 4pm, I'm sure. Probably will delay the opening to tomorrow.

http://discoverygreen.com/webcam/
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

perk wrote:Good mornig, and happy Thanksgiving to all members and your families. I live in Richmond just south of Sugarland what time should i expect the frontal passage.
I'd say between 4-8 PM for your area. Perhaps a bit earlier if the near 30 mph S push continues.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
perk

srainhoutx wrote:
perk wrote:Good mornig, and happy Thanksgiving to all members and your families. I live in Richmond just south of Sugarland what time should i expect the frontal passage.
I'd say between 4-8 PM for your area. Perhaps a bit earlier if the near 30 mph S push continues.
srainhoutx thanks for the info.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like the front is along a Hillsboro, Coleman, Senora line at 9:00AM and still heading S around 25-30 mph.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Kludge

Passing through Waco at 9:35
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kludge wrote:Passing through Waco at 9:35
19 degree drop in 31 minutes. Not too shabby! Getting some partly cloudy skies in NW Harris County. I wonder if we can make a run at a record high before the front arrives?

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

HGX is speeding up the front just a bit...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX
942 AM CST THU NOV 25 2010

.DISCUSSION...
CF IS NEARING WACO THIS MORNING AND IS EXPECTED TO ENTER THE NW
EDGE OF THE CWA AROUND 1 PM. IT SHOULD REACH THE HOUSTON AREA IN
THE 5-6 PM TIME FRAME...THEN OFF THE UPPER COAST 7-8 PM. MADE
SOME SLIGHT ADJUSTMENTS TO THE ONGOING FORECAST. NUDGED FROPA UP
JUST A LITTLE AND LOWERED POPS A LITTLE ACROSS EXT E ZONES THIS
AFT. EXPECT TO SEE ABOUT A 35 DEGREE TEMP DROP BEHIND THE FRONT
WITHIN A COUPLE OF HOURS OF ITS PASSAGE.
WILL LIKELY BE ISSUING A
WIND ADVISORY LATER TODAY FOR THE COAST AND POSSIBLY THE IST
INLAND TIER OF COUNTIES FOR TONIGHT`S STRONG NORTHERLY WINDS
IN THE WAKE OF THE FRONT.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The cold is on the way srainhoutx! Should be a dramatic but welcome change
Mr. T

It's in the upper 30s in Dallas and the lower 80s in Houston... That's neatness

When the front passed Waco, the temp dropped from 74 to 50 in one hour. They are now sitting at 45.

Fun stuff
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rode our bikes downtown to see the parade (30 miles). Sure was a stiff headwind on the way back. Took a picture of some folks you might recognize:

redneckweather

I just got in from hanging Christmas lights for the past two hours. For the love of God, come on cold front!!!!!
Mr. T

Cold front knockin' on CLL's door... Big ol temp drop coming for them

Freeze watches issued for parts of the Corpus Christi area.
Mr. T

Waco dropped to 1 degree in between obs!
http://www.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KACT.html

but not really

anyway, DFW down to 39, Waco has roped to 41, and we should see an interesting temp drop at CLL for the 2 pm observation
perk

redneckweather wrote:I just got in from hanging Christmas lights for the past two hours. For the love of God, come on cold front!!!!!
I'll be doing that tomorrow, it's alot more fun hanging lights in cold weather and safer than being trampled by the black Friday shoppers. :)
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I helped my brother and sister in law with their 5 mile road race (GE Run Through The Woods) and it was disgusting. I mean totally disgusting. I agree with Redneck, for the love of God, please hurry up Mr Thanksgiving Front.
  • Information