January: Calmer Pattern To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jabcwb2

PaulEInHouston wrote:
jabcwb2 wrote:Does anyone have a map/maps to post that show where the ice, freezing rain/snow lines could be for Harris County? Please and thank you.
WPC has these maps:

Snow accumulations -
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf/wwd_a ... babilities

Freezing rain accumulations -
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf/wwd_a ... ptype=icez

Thank you so much! Now it makes sense and I can keep my business open tomorrow!
ronyan

Brazosport College has cancelled classes for tomorrow, will resume on Wednesday.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Houston Community College is waiting and seeing.

Weather forecasts predict a chance of freezing temperatures and precipitation overnight and Tuesday. HCC will continually monitor these conditions to determine whether it is necessary to close the college or delay its start. Please monitor the HCC website at hccs.edu for updates.
Wood6818

[quote="srainhoutx"]Let's compare the current observations ~vs~ what the 18Z HIRES NAM suggests is happening at the moment.
01272014 2238Z Regional Radar southplains.gif
01272014 _2245Z_US_ir.jpg
01272014 18Z HIRES NAM nam-hires_namer_006_sim_reflectivity.gif
[/quote

HMM...
cristina6871

It's been a couple of hours since I've checked in. And forgive me, but I'm still learning the lingo...but from what I've read what DP just said, snow is now as big of a threat as before. Darn! I wanted snow.

Also, I've noticed the weather mets on tv have been a little more conservative - this morning Chita had a high of 24 - has that changed?
Good thing I will be homed in bed watching everything unfold - and using a cold icy day to bake cookies. Sadly, I'll be home in bed because I lost my job today. So I need to snow to lift my spirits! :cry:
TxJohn

davidiowx wrote:
HouTXmetro wrote:What is up with SETX? Cold temps filtering in faster to our West AND East. IAH reporting 61, Mean while San Antonio airport to the west sits at 50 and and New Iberia about 30 South of Lafayette, LA is at 51, Lafayette is at 50.
Seriously.. I am wondering if we will get any frozen precip out of this. Front came through a few hours ago and the temps haven't dropped at all. I know the cold air is lagging behind but I didn't expect it to take this long.

We just dropped to 55 here in NW Harris....down from 57 a few hours back.
unome

chron.com has live updates for closings: http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2014/01 ... 19952101=0

or you can search, if/when the list gets too long
Wood6818

Temps starting to drop. down to 54 was 58 about 45 mins ago.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

As I mentioned yesterday I was never sold on the snow...and well that brough its own level of dismay. Still think a decent potential for freezing rain and icing. For all the great forecasters on here....please tell me if it will be 33 and raining or 31 and raining tomorrow at noon at a given location because that is going to be the difference between a non-event and a nightmare. Good Luck
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

jeff wrote:As I mentioned yesterday I was never sold on the snow...and well that brough its own level of dismay. Still think a decent potential for freezing rain and icing. For all the great forecasters on here....please tell me if it will be 33 and raining or 31 and raining tomorrow at noon at a given location because that is going to be the difference between a non-event and a nightmare. Good Luck
Exactly. FYI there is definitely precip falling from the mid cloud deck that is evaporating or virga here in NW Harris County. You can see the lift beginning as well as the clouds are rising above where the virga is falling as the 700mb low/trough advances SE from the Southern Rockies.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
vci_guy2003

They've said from the start that the cold temps were never going to be an issue. Now we're inside 16 hours and it may be too warm. smh
Portastorm

Gang, virga is already present here in Austin too. I just got back in from a long walk with the pup and one can clearly see the virga above. Upper layers of air are moistening quickly.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

jeff wrote:As I mentioned yesterday I was never sold on the snow...and well that brough its own level of dismay. Still think a decent potential for freezing rain and icing. For all the great forecasters on here....please tell me if it will be 33 and raining or 31 and raining tomorrow at noon at a given location because that is going to be the difference between a non-event and a nightmare. Good Luck
The $64,000 dollar question. I would have no earthly idea. That is why our hat is off to you Jeff. We thank you so much for being here.
TxJohn

NWS just dropped our precip chances to 10% for Tuesday NIGHT. (was 30% before).

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... ubsodLnat8
TeamPlayersBlue

Its gotta work on it sometime. Those returns are building. So it begins.
Kingwood31

TxJohn wrote:NWS just dropped our precip chances to 10% for Tuesday NIGHT. (was 30% before).

It says 40% now
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Currently 58F in League. Perhaps some freezing rain tomorrow in Galveston County but that looks doubtful right now.
sambucol

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Its gotta work on it sometime. Those returns are building. So it begins.
What does that mean? More precip? Thanks.
TxJohn

Kingwood31 wrote:
TxJohn wrote:NWS just dropped our precip chances to 10% for Tuesday NIGHT. (was 30% before).

It says 40% now

Okay just saw it
Rip76

60% now
  • Information