March: Comfortable Weekend Weather & Warming Trend

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
BlueJay

Reached a high of 37 for about 30 minutes this afternoon. All ice has melted. Still hovering at 36.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Another day, another winter storm in Houston. Scary to think that this is becoming normal around here. After the first three events it's like 'meh.' By the time you get to the 7th, you're ready to torch the house and move south. lol

From The Woodlands today:
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Light wrap around drizzle and cooler temps should give way to warmer weather with some clouds on Thursday as a short wave currently over the Texas Panhandle heads E. Friday and Saturday are looking much better with warm temperatures and a return flow off the Gulf in advance of the next Southern stream storm system arriving Sunday. The progressive split flow pattern should yield increasing rain and isolated storm chances on Sunday before we finally clear out and as a Pacific front passes and sunshine returns early next week.

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Morning Update from Jeff:

Another cold, cloudy and misty day across the region…but luckily temperatures are above freezing so no concern about any freezing rain today.

Another upper level disturbance currently approaching from the west with weak lift increasing across the area. This has resulted in widespread drizzle and list since about midnight especially west of Houston. Lift will increase this afternoon and into the evening hours with scattered light rainfall developing over the region. With thick cloud cover and weak cold air advection in place expect to see little warming today…maybe the mid 40’s making for another very cold early March day.

Changes begin on Thursday as another front moves through and finally clears the skies some…allowing a bigger daytime warm up to take place. Should reach the mid to upper 50’s on Thursday and then the mid 60’s on Friday. Surface high moves eastward on Friday allowing southerly flow and moisture return ahead of a very strong looking short wave trough for this weekend. Will see rain chances quickly increase late Saturday and continue into Sunday with maybe some thunderstorms as the next cold front moves across the region. Does not look like any major cold snap behind this front, but cooler than normal into early next week again.

Record “Cold” high temperatures for Tuesday:

College Station: 40…broke record of 44 in 1960

BUSH IAH: 38… broke record of 48 in 1917

Hobby Airport: 39…broke record of 48 in 1954

Galveston: 41…broke record of 46 in 1978

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
don

Looking at the precipitation totals if temperatures would have been in the upper 20's to 30 degrees instead of hovering around 32 degrees the whole time, the event would have been much worst.
nuby3

don wrote:Looking at the precipitation totals if temperatures would have been in the upper 20's to 30 degrees instead of hovering around 32 degrees the whole time, the event would have been much worst.
DON!! I mentioned this during the event. Heavy precip mixed warmth down or else we get down to 28-29 maybe 30. could have been a disaster as I ended up with over an inch of rain liquid. bout .2-.3" ice accumulation was all though

""Postby nuby3 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 am

we came up a degree to 32 dewpoint still 30. my only real concern is for the pine tree limbs and the power lines

.5" OF LIQUID. lucky we stayed at 31-32 or else this could have been a total nightmare. I have not accumulated .5 inches of ice""

we were THIS close
don

Yep I actually got less accumulations of ice, than I did with the last 2 ice events this year which had far less precipitation, looking at temps at bush during the last two events temperatures hovered around 30 degrees which really makes a difference. The one difference with this event was that there was more accumulations in the tress.
jojotheidiotclown

I am here for my continued rant about how much I HATE this weather and dream of warmer days. :D
nuby3

this was by far the biggest storm of the year for me, but most of my ice formed before the heaviest precip moved through, after that it seemed to mostly run off, which was about the same time the temp went from 31 to 32. while I was at 30-31 and I was watching all of that rain coming I was honestly worried
BlueJay

Temperature topped out at 51 this afternoon at my house. I was happy to uncover my few surviving plants!
BlueJay

Would anyone like to speculate if we have had our last freeze for winter 2013-2014?
djjordan

Last time we speculated we got "burned" or should I say "frozen" Ha ha :D
~~~When Thunder Roars Go Indoors~~~
~~~Turn Around Don't Drown~~~
~~~Run From The Water, Hide From The Wind~~~
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

This will be a nice day with upper 60s and increasing high clouds followed by several day's rain chances. Where is my first sunny 90F day?
BlueJay

We must have patience! Enjoy the beautiful day!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

A beautiful Spring day ahead, but it does no t look like it will last long. A very active split flow pattern that suggests a very potent storm system dropping rather far S into Mexico will begin to eject across Southern Texas on Sunday and shower with some storms are possible.

Next week continues to offer a solutions that is very complicated and somewhat worrisome for those of us that are growing tired of cold and dreary weather. A very potent storm system will approach the Pacific NW and drop SE into the Southern Rockies/Southern Plains while yet another Southern stream disturbance begins to trek across Mexico. This pattern begins to carve out a deep trough across the Plains allowing much colder air to drop S and the powerful Winter Storm wraps up on Tuesday into Wednesday across Oklahoma. As that Winter Storm begins to head NE, another shot of unseasonably cold air appears to plunge into the Lone Star State with the potential of some post frontal wrap around moisture. There is a chance that we may well see freezing temperatures once again mid next week, but that is too far out to know with any certainty as of this morning. What we do know right now is the chance of rain increase across S Central Texas and along the Coast and that pattern next week looks mighty familiar with a very active pattern of storms systems and cold air phasing or coming together for a very unsettled and active forecast until at least late next week.
03072014 10ZZ 5 Day QPF p120i.gif
03072014 00Z Euro f96.gif
03072014 00Z Euro f144.gif

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
BlueJay

My plant blankets are standing by.
nuby3

the maps that srain posted are really fun to look at and imagine things about what it could end up being
BlueJay

63 degrees with light rain at my house.

Remember to spring forward tonight, as we return to daylight saving time.
kayci

Hey yall, what is the ETA for Galveston County please????
BlueJay

Good morning! 44 degrees currently. 1.14 inches of rain recorded throughout the night.
  • Information