February Weather Discussion. Wild Winter Storms?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Paul

wxman57 wrote:
AggieEngr04 wrote:What time do yall think that the Low will come pass us and give us another chance of snow? Per haps I may set my alarm.
I'm afraid it looks like all the precipitation with the upper low will pass well north of Houston. The last of the significant precip is moving into central Houston now. Just as the GFS had predicted, drying up after 9pm. No accumulations across the city with this system.

I got some nice sleet out of the whole deal so I am pretty happy about that. Hoping to catch that tale end coming through Houston but it looks like I will just miss it...oh well..goodbye winter!!
AggieEngr04

brazoria_county22 wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
AggieEngr04 wrote:What time do yall think that the Low will come pass us and give us another chance of snow? Per haps I may set my alarm.
I'm afraid it looks like all the precipitation with the upper low will pass well north of Houston. The last of the significant precip is moving into central Houston now. Just as the GFS had predicted, drying up after 9pm. No accumulations across the city with this system.
what a rip off! :x

Trust me, I understand your disappointment. I was out of town during the Dec 4th/5th snow event. I regret not taking my vacation on a different day.
txsnowmaker

wxman57 wrote:

Wxman57, did the precip with this system start, and will thus end, earlier than expected (not for the GFS, but with some of the other pro mets who forecasted more accumulation)? Great job with your forecast on this one!
Last edited by txsnowmaker on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Paul wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

I got some nice sleet out of the whole deal so I am pretty happy about that. Hoping to catch that tale end coming through Houston but it looks like I will just miss it...oh well..goodbye winter!!

Not so fast Paul, next week looks interesting to say the least. I am with you though bring on the hurricanes. :D
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

I doubt next week will materialize. It doesn't look all that impressive on the models at this point.
Paul

Come on Andrew...you buying those 288hr runs of the GFS... :D dont drink the koolade brother. Its March 1st not Dec 1st.... :)

sun angle less snow pack up north...winter is done done done!! :D
sleetstorm

Hey my friends, guess what is currently falling over here in Baytown at my house? SSSSLLLLEEEEETTTTT!! :P :shock: Wooooooooohooooooooo!! My patients has at last paid off. ;) :D
C2G

Candy Cane wrote:Man, we just had a heavy snow burst again here in The Woodlands. It was like a warp zone. VERY cool. BTW, Bush IAH is now reporting snow. This is officially the second snowfall in Houston in one season!
Bush should not be the official recorder for Houston weather. Never understood that one. It's just about in the Woodlands for goodness sakes.
Glad some folks got to see some snow.
Sleetstorm.....you're a doctor? Never would have guessed it. :shock:
ticka1

sleetstorm wrote:Hey my friends, guess what is currently falling over here in Baytown at my house? SSSSLLLLEEEEETTTTT!! :P :shock: Wooooooooohooooooooo!! My patients has at last paid off. ;) :D
What part of baytown are at????
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Paul wrote:Come on Andrew...you buying those 288hr runs of the GFS... :D dont drink the koolade brother. Its March 1st not Dec 1st.... :)

sun angle less snow pack up north...winter is done done done!! :D

Haha just saying just saying. It will be a fun Hurricane season though. Hopefully more action than last years.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Cloud2ground wrote:
Candy Cane wrote:Man, we just had a heavy snow burst again here in The Woodlands. It was like a warp zone. VERY cool. BTW, Bush IAH is now reporting snow. This is officially the second snowfall in Houston in one season!
Bush should not be the official recorder for Houston weather. Never understood that one. It's just about in the Woodlands for goodness sakes.
Glad some folks got to see some snow.
Sleetstorm.....you're a doctor? Never would have guessed it. :shock:
What's just about in The Woodlands? It has snowed in many places today. A friend of mine called me and said it was snowing on 59 sw frwy on his way home. It snowed in Conroe, The Woodlands, Spring, Humble, Kingwood, IAH, Katy, Cypress, Hooks, and many other areas. No, Galveston or Galveston County didn't get any but I'm not shedding at tear for them. They've had more snowfall in the last 6 years than anybody north of I-10 has gotten in 50.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

txsnowmaker wrote: Wxman57, did the precip with this system start, and will thus end, earlier than expected (not for the GFS, but with some of the other pro mets who forecasted more accumulation)? Great job with your forecast on this one!
Certainly, the GFS did a good job with temps and with the start/end of precip. I think that some people got too excited by the GFS snow accumulation charts showing accumulating snow almost down to the coast yesterday. Where the GFS erred was with the deeper low-level warm layer across SE TX. Last night, I pointed out that it just didn't look right (the GFS snow accumulation area) because our temps and particularly the dew points were too high and the air upstream that would be overhead during the precip just didn't appear to be as cold as was needed to get any accumulations. It was actually a little warmer than I was thinking it would turn out to be last evening when I expressed my concerns.

I've seen many such events in the 30 years I've been forecasting such events here in Houston. This event looked a little promising for at least seeing some big wet snowflakes all across the city a few days ago, and even this morning. But it just goes to show how important it is to have lower dew points in the lower levels to allow for radiational cooling of the air and allow the snow to make it to the ground.
sleetstorm

Near the I-10 Freeway.
sleetstorm

Unfortunately, it did not last all that long. :( I believe that I missed the five or so minutes of it. :(
txsnowmaker

wxman57 wrote:
txsnowmaker wrote: Wxman57, did the precip with this system start, and will thus end, earlier than expected (not for the GFS, but with some of the other pro mets who forecasted more accumulation)? Great job with your forecast on this one!
Certainly, the GFS did a good job with temps and with the start/end of precip. I think that some people got too excited by the GFS snow accumulation charts showing accumulating snow almost down to the coast yesterday. Where the GFS erred was with the deeper low-level warm layer across SE TX. Last night, I pointed out that it just didn't look right (the GFS snow accumulation area) because our temps and particularly the dew points were too high and the air upstream that would be overhead during the precip just didn't appear to be as cold as was needed to get any accumulations. It was actually a little warmer than I was thinking it would turn out to be last evening when I expressed my concerns.

I've seen many such events in the 30 years I've been forecasting such events here in Houston. This event looked a little promising for at least seeing some big wet snowflakes all across the city a few days ago, and even this morning. But it just goes to show how important it is to have lower dew points in the lower levels to allow for radiational cooling of the air and allow the snow to make it to the ground.
Thanks for a great summation of what has taken place. While I took your comments on the forecast for this system quite seriously, I did hold on to any signs/predictions I could find out there that indicated something more could be in store (but hey, I am not a pro, so I can do that, right?!) In the end, your forecast clearly closely paralleled what actually transpired.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

Nice wrap around, maybe some more snow for atleast our northern counties?
cisa

weatherguy425 wrote:Nice wrap around, maybe some more snow for atleast our northern counties?

I was wondering about that.
No rain, no rainbows.
sleetstorm

Busts have likely transpired for numerous people in southwest, south, and southeast part of SE Texas, but this is not the first time & will not be the last. ;)
singlemom

Candy Cane wrote:
Cloud2ground wrote:
Candy Cane wrote:<snip> It snowed in Conroe, The Woodlands, Spring, Humble, Kingwood, IAH, Katy, Cypress, Hooks, and many other areas.
Maaan, I didn't see a drop of snow here in Spring. Just a lot of sleet. Just my luck. Here's hoping for something...anything...Sunday\Monday. I hope nothing is going to hit around Ratcliff\The Davy Crockett National Forest this weekend...going camping with the kiddo.
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

NOUS44 KHGX 240329
PNSHGX
TXZ163-164-176>179-195>200-210>214-226-227-235>238-241500-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX
929 PM CST TUE FEB 23 2010

...PRELIMINARY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS SO FAR TODAY...

HERE ARE SOME SNOW ACCUMULATIONS REPORTED SO FAR TODAY. MOST OF
WHICH HAVE COME FROM SHERIFFS OFFICE & EMERGENCY MANAGER REPORTS.
WE SHOULD HOPEFULLY HAVE SOME MORE CONCRETE NUMBERS AND LOCATIONS
IN THE MORNING ONCE COOP OBSERVERS SEND THEIR REPORTS IN. 47

BURLESON CO. - 2.5"
BRAZOS CO. - 3-3.5"
MADISON CO. - 2-3"
HOUSTON CO. - 3-3.5" (3-5" EXTREME NORTH)
WASHINGTON CO. - 1-2"
GRIMES CO. - DUSTING
WALKER CO. - 3"
TRINITY CO. - 1"
MONTGOMERY CO. - DUSTING
SAN JACINTO CO. - 1.5"
POLK CO. - <1"
  • Information