February Weather Discussion. Wild Winter Storms?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
C2G

The moderate cold rain has turned into cold sprinkles mixed with cold sprinkles.
Holding onto hope to at least see a flake or two, but that hope is fading fast as the moisture appears to be diminishing to our west/southwest.
Could this be just another cold rain event, hmmmmm. :roll:
redneckweather

I've had a good moderate snow falling for about 45 minutes. It will get light then heavy but nothing accumulating. No big deal but I it looks like the window is closing for anything accumulating in my area. It sure is pretty watching it fall though. I thought this would be the first time to see accumulating snow since living here (14 years).

Edit: 38.7 here.
Last edited by redneckweather on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. T

Cloud2ground wrote:The moderate cold rain has turned into cold sprinkles mixed with cold sprinkles.
Holding onto hope to at least see a flake or two, but that hope is fading fast as the moisture appears to be diminishing to our west/southwest.
Could this be just another cold rain event, hmmmmm. :roll:
There's more precip backbuilding between Houston and San Antonio

We are all going to see it
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

PATIENCE IS GOLDEN :lol:
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

srainhoutx wrote:Moderate sleet now in NW Harris County.
That warm (above-freezing) pocket overhead is shrinking in your area. Shouldn't be long before you see a changeover.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

hah wxman, you do expect at least light precip to continue as lift incrases from the west right? I think this needs to be cleared up so that people dont say its over (before anything even started) hahaa
C2G

Mr. T wrote: There's more precip backbuilding between Houston and San Antonio

We are all going to see it
Yes, just looked again and was pleasantly surprised to see that, plus a little more even west of the San Antonio area.
All hope is not lost.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxman57 wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:Moderate sleet now in NW Harris County.
That warm (above-freezing) pocket overhead is shrinking in your area. Shouldn't be long before you see a changeover.
Yeah, the winds have really kicked up in the past few minutes. Temp is down to 36 now. Also seeing a lot of banding to the W which is encouraging. ;)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
HouTXmetro

Big Dry slot of very light precip over Houston proper... what a Bummer! I'm trying to hold out hope but it's getting hard. Ok I"ll shut up about it now and hope for the best. Congrats to everyone who has gotten extreme happines so far. As for me and those in Houston/southaward :(
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

weatherguy425 wrote:hah wxman, you do expect at least light precip to continue as lift incrases from the west right? I think this needs to be cleared up so that people dont say its over (before anything even started) hahaa
The snow extends to about 100 miles west of Austin. It's associated with the main upper-level impulse. So we'll see at least light precip through the early morning hours.

Still 41 at my house just southwest of the SW corner of loop 610.
don

sleeting in Spring the sleets very small...
hlewis

Can someone tell me if Wharton County is out of the picture? El Campo area, specifically! I have asked three times and unless I missed it, well, I apologize.... :shock:
nuby3

Good moderate snow here now in NW The Woodlands. Huge flakes, some bigger than half dollars..
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

hlewis wrote:Can someone tell me if Wharton County is out of the picture? El Campo area, specifically! I have asked three times and unless I missed it, well, I apologize.... :shock:
Checking for you now...
brazoria_county22

nuby3 wrote:Good moderate snow here now in NW The Woodlands. Huge flakes, some bigger than half dollars..
quite rubbing it in! lol j/k! :D
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

hlewis wrote:Can someone tell me if Wharton County is out of the picture? El Campo area, specifically! I have asked three times and unless I missed it, well, I apologize.... :shock:
RUC sounding shows you're fairly dry aloft, unfortunately. It does indicate temps there aloft cold enough for snow by 9pm, but the precip may have ended by then. You could see a little sleet between 6pm and 9pm. Can't rule out seeing a snowflake, but don't expect much there.
hlewis

thanks wxman! not good news but something! :? :( :cry:
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

Rain mixing with sleet in kingwood
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RUC sounding for Sugar Land airport indicates air aloft cold enough for snow by 7pm, but it also shows moisture diminishing quickly by then. We may have to be satisfied with passing light flurries overnight in SW Houston.

As for the north side (Bush airport - IAH), RUC indicates the changeover around 6pm and precip ending an hour or two later. Beyond then, can't rule out a few light flurries with the main impulse passing through overnight, though. Nothing heavy.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Snow coming down good in The Woodlands. Just got home and it was coming down between Rayford/Sawdust and 242.
  • Information