July 2020

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
djmike

What are the chances this storm comes ashore on the upper texas coast rather than lower to mid?

Remember, most storms are notorious for marking its first landfall with models then does the infamous shift eastward as days go on... We will see.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Stormlover2020

All about the High pressure
DoctorMu

Kludge wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:16 pm I started the day with a forecast of 80% likely heavy rain. Not a drop so far... and the forecast as of this message is 70% likely rain for this afternoon/evening. Current radar says no-way. I'm not blaming the local NWS folks, just the models they rely on. How can they miss so bigly?
Same here. Another day. Another bust. Sprinklers on stun.
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:51 pm I’m beginning to see signs on some of the models that this system may begin to slow down and linger over Texas for a while.

Euro Gone Wild on the long-term precip. 2.5 inches to 6 to 14 inches from Houston to the Hill Country, particularly related to 91L and 99L over the next 10 days. 1-3 inches on the other models. Maybe.
Attachments
euro.jul20.jpg
Rip76

DoctorMu wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:21 pm
Cpv17 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:51 pm I’m beginning to see signs on some of the models that this system may begin to slow down and linger over Texas for a while.

Euro Gone Wild on the long-term precip. 2.5 inches to 6 to 14 inches from Houston to the Hill Country, particularly related to 91L and 99L over the next 10 days. 1-3 inches on the other models. Maybe.
:shock:
Cpv17

0z ICON model is coming in a good bit stronger and slower too. Definitely a tropical storm.
jasons2k

Some of the short range models develop precipitation around the Houston metro area overnight. We shall see...
Waded

Got 3 inches over the last 24 hours here by Clear Lake. Not going to be greedy, only going to ask for another 6 inches from 91L.
Kingwood36

91l looks very disorganized this morning..think recon will be cancelled again?
Kingwood36

Up to 50% now..i think recon will be a go today
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Kingwood36 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:32 am 91l looks very disorganized this morning..think recon will be cancelled again?
My hunch is recon will fly out there today. Looking at visible this morning there is clearly low level convergence in all four quadrants under the deep convection that is bubbling up right now. Looks like the 'center' is developing around 87W 25N.

Be interesting to see how well it can maintain this convection throughout the day or if it will wane off.
Blake
Boomer Sooner
Cromagnum

D Min so don't expect much today. We might get a surprise tomorrow morning depending how D Max goes later this evening.
jasons2k

Lots of rain down to the SW this morning. I guess today I’m too far east 🙄
Cpv17

It’s looking like the models for 91L have most of the rain concentrated right along the center and just south of the center when it comes ashore later this week..that could be a bad thing if you’re wanting rain. It’s looking like areas north of 10 might be lucky to get 1-2” out of this. Jackpot seems to be from the Victotria area down towards Corpus Christi as of right now.
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

QPF will largely depend on how Invest 91L gets its act together and location of landfall. Though with SETX likely being on the eastern side of this system, heavy rainfall and even flooding is possible. WPC increasing rainfall totals - mainly just offshore. Where the training feeder bands set up will be the areas that will have the greatest flood threat. Even after 91L moves inland, high PW's with a strong southerly moisture feed will still be funneled right in our area as 91L moves west near the RGV.

Parts of Beaumont and Port Arthur saw 4-5 inches yesterday, much of that falling late afternoon into the evening as a convergence zone set up over the area from the remnants of the low that moved into the Victoria area a few days ago. That will be something we will need to watch for as we head into Saturday-Monday.

WPC QPF
WPC QPF
Blake
Boomer Sooner
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

RECON has been given the go to investigate 91L this afternoon.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Rip76

Definitely should know more after this.
djmike

Im getting nervous about qpf covering the beaumont Port Arthur area more and more each day. Weve had 4-5” of rain here since yesterday and so far qpf has us for another 4-5” when the storm approaches. Which is manageable, but if it keeps climbing, I think once again we will be in trouble. Maybe not another Harvey but possibly another Imelda situation here. Just proves that you dont need a direct hit from a storm foe it to reak havoc. Keeping a close eye on this one. Time will only tell...
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Stormlover2020

Cpv17 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:47 am It’s looking like the models for 91L have most of the rain concentrated right along the center and just south of the center when it comes ashore later this week..that could be a bad thing if you’re wanting rain. It’s looking like areas north of 10 might be lucky to get 1-2” out of this. Jackpot seems to be from the Victotria area down towards Corpus Christi as of right now.
U model watch to much, look at the pattern, look at the total environment and ingredients in place, if it develops info trop Storm u will see more totals.
don

Yeah I agree it's a little too early to put too much stock in QPF amounts and locations. How organized and the size of 91L will have impacts on QPF amounts. Remember that low resolution models can often underestimate rainfall amounts when it comes to tropical rains. With southeast Texas most likely being on the dirty side,don't sleep on the potential for flooding regardless of the QPF the models are showing.
  • Information