January 2021

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
christinac2016

Snakeswx wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:44 am Already saw some ice snow graupel mixing with the rain here at 242 and I-45.. montgomery county
:o I’m in the woodlands. Will be on the look out later this morning and afternoon! Snow day!
davidiowx

Nice to see the trend continues southward. Will be interesting to see where the changeover line actually sets up this afternoon!
jabcwb2

davidiowx wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:00 am Nice to see the trend continues southward. Will be interesting to see where the changeover line actually sets up this afternoon!
Has the timing changed or are we still looking at 4/5 pm for some winter mischief?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sunday morning weather briefing from Jeff:

A memorable snow event likely for portions of SE TX today.

Winter Weather Advisory issued for Austin, Waller, and Montgomery Counties.

Changes overnight have been the continued south shifts of the track of the upper level low and the associated cold pocket aloft that will transition current rainfall to rain/snow mix and in some areas a complete change to all snow. With these changes, an advisory has been added to the row of counties south of the warning area for accumulations of snow of 1-2 inches this afternoon and evening. South of the advisory area across Harris County and the metro area rain/snow mix may extend to I-10 and maybe a bit south of I-10, but any accumulations are expected to be brief and mainly on elevated surface such as rooftops and grassy areas.

Travel in the warning area will become hazardous by mid to late afternoon as snowfall rates increase due to convective banding. Expect ice on bridges and overpasses and surface streets to become snow covered and slushy as snowfall rates overwhelm the warm ground temperatures resulting in accumulations. Additionally, temperatures in that area will cool toward the freezing mark increasing accumulations,

Forecast Accumulations:

NW of a line from Brenham to Huntsville to Trinity (Winter Storm Warning area):

Transition to all snow this afternoon. Widespread amounts of 1-4 inches with isolated totals of 6-8 inches possible. Hazardous travel developing and lasting into Monday morning.

NW of a line from Sealy to Cypress to The Woodlands to Porter:

Rain/snow mix this afternoon possibly transitioning to all snow this evening. Accumulations of 1-2 inches possible on elevated and grassy surfaces. Travel concerns are minimal.

South of I-10:

Mostly rain with a few flakes of snow mixed in. No travel concerns.

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
DoctorMu

Transitioning to snow sooner than expected in Gatesville.

Snow in Jacksonville, TX - was not supposed to snow until 3 pm.

Cool that Column!
DoctorMu

I can report heavy, heavy, heavy graupel in College Station IMBY. Potential changeover hours before expected??
MontgomeryCoWx

DoctorMu wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:45 am I can report heavy, heavy, heavy graupel in College Station IMBY. Potential changeover hours before expected??
Headed your way now. Going to stop at Grub Burger for a meal and drink then it’s on.
Team #NeverSummer
Kingwood36

srainhoutx wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:10 am Sunday morning weather briefing from Jeff:

A memorable snow event likely for portions of SE TX today.

Winter Weather Advisory issued for Austin, Waller, and Montgomery Counties.

Changes overnight have been the continued south shifts of the track of the upper level low and the associated cold pocket aloft that will transition current rainfall to rain/snow mix and in some areas a complete change to all snow. With these changes, an advisory has been added to the row of counties south of the warning area for accumulations of snow of 1-2 inches this afternoon and evening. South of the advisory area across Harris County and the metro area rain/snow mix may extend to I-10 and maybe a bit south of I-10, but any accumulations are expected to be brief and mainly on elevated surface such as rooftops and grassy areas.

Travel in the warning area will become hazardous by mid to late afternoon as snowfall rates increase due to convective banding. Expect ice on bridges and overpasses and surface streets to become snow covered and slushy as snowfall rates overwhelm the warm ground temperatures resulting in accumulations. Additionally, temperatures in that area will cool toward the freezing mark increasing accumulations,

Forecast Accumulations:

NW of a line from Brenham to Huntsville to Trinity (Winter Storm Warning area):

Transition to all snow this afternoon. Widespread amounts of 1-4 inches with isolated totals of 6-8 inches possible. Hazardous travel developing and lasting into Monday morning.

NW of a line from Sealy to Cypress to The Woodlands to Porter:

Rain/snow mix this afternoon possibly transitioning to all snow this evening. Accumulations of 1-2 inches possible on elevated and grassy surfaces. Travel concerns are minimal.

South of I-10:

Mostly rain with a few flakes of snow mixed in. No travel concerns.

There it is from the man himself! And I quote "South of I-10:

Mostly rain with a few flakes of snow mixed in. No travel concerns." I'll take a few flakes mixed in lol😁
DoctorMu

Snowing allegedly in Madisonville.

Absolutely pouring graupel. Holy **** if it was snowing.

Be careful if traveling!
DoctorMu

Snow in Hearne. We're surrounded! lol
jabcwb2

May we get some pictures or video of everyone's fun????😁
Kingwood36

Seems like it's changing over faster than the models predicted it to
davidiowx

Rain starting here in Richmond, my temp went up 2 degrees though! :|
jasons2k

My sister near Bedias says it’s sleeting up there.
redneckweather

Sleeting heavily here at Lake Conroe on south side.
vci_guy2003

The radar shows that the changeover is about to happen in college station. Has this been verified?
Kludge

jasons2k wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:35 am My sister near Bedias says it’s sleeting up there.
Yep. Porch table totally coated already.
MontgomeryCoWx

Sleeting in Magnolia and good
Team #NeverSummer
redneckweather

My buddy texted me in CS and it's starting to snow.
TexasBreeze

Keep an eye on bright banding radar returns indicating sleet and or melting snow not far from the surface. Magnolia is not too far from my Klein area!
  • Information