February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Warmup Begins

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Kingwood36

Think tomorrow or Sunday they will put us under a winter storm warning?
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

jabcwb2 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:55 am Hi Pros, This is sincerely, a very important question. I have heard that 1/4 inch of ice will cause power outages. The line of business for the company I work for is n the medical industry. Do you believe, think, feel the frozen precip will accumulate to that 1/4 inch in and around the city? I am asking because the team will be working all 5 days next week. My concern is the power going out and how long it would be out. Thank you so much for any insight you have!
It's certainly possible that .15 to .25 of an inch of ice accretion will occur, with even higher amounts with the main event across the city and the Medical Center as well as points S toward the Coast. Check back this afternoon and tomorrow as amounts and storm total possibilities begin to come into focus. Stay safe!
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
MontgomeryCoWx

Reports of multi car pile up in Magnolia from another board.

My temp says 29.9 and it’s heavy drizzle
Team #NeverSummer
jabcwb2

srainhoutx wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:05 am
jabcwb2 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:55 am Hi Pros, This is sincerely, a very important question. I have heard that 1/4 inch of ice will cause power outages. The line of business for the company I work for is n the medical industry. Do you believe, think, feel the frozen precip will accumulate to that 1/4 inch in and around the city? I am asking because the team will be working all 5 days next week. My concern is the power going out and how long it would be out. Thank you so much for any insight you have!
It's certainly possible that .15 to .25 of an inch of ice accretion will occur, with even higher amounts with the main event across the city and the Medical Center as well as points S toward the Coast. Check back this afternoon and tomorrow as amounts and storm total possibilities begin to come into focus. Stay safe!
We will! Thank you so much!
christinac2016

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:15 am Reports of multi car pile up in Magnolia from another board.

My temp says 29.9 and it’s heavy drizzle
Yep. Khou reports 13 cars on overpass at 1488 and 1774
jabcwb2

srainhoutx wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:05 am
Thank you so very much! I will def be living on this site! My best to you all.
txsnowmaker

Does home heating system need to be at a certain temperature to provide protection during a freeze like the one expected next week? I like to keep mind around 70 when it’s on.
jabcwb2

KHOU is reporting ice on 2920
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

jabcwb2 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:43 am KHOU is reporting ice on 2920
At 290
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
txbear

Surprised advisories haven't gone up yet at least for the NW Territories. 35 IMBY in the western burbs. If we're already getting ice as far south as Magnolia, goodness this could be an incredible event. Definitely stay off the roads if you can and remember 4-wheel drive does not necessarily grant you free reign. If you have to drive, take it slow, easy on accelerations, turns and braking. If you have access to a bag of sand or even cardboard, that will help should you find yourself in a precarious situation.

I want to bottle this up and save it for when summer rolls around.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jeff reports ice on 290 at Binford

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Kingwood36

Man this wind ain't no joke!
jasons2k

34F here with no signs of ice yet.
Was not expecting to see ice in Magnolia already. Wow.
don

I have to say the ICON model has been doing a very good job with temps compared to some of the other models.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Just a PSA. Make sure to give the pro mets time to answer your questions. It might take some time. They are super busy, with this upcoming and eventually ongoing event. This will be everchanging as time wears on. Thank you to all pros and amateurs that take the time to be in our littleworld.
davidiowx

I hope Tropikal is loving this La Nina Winter! :lol: :lol: :lol:
txbear

Well that's something. NWS site has Sugar Land Airport reporting light snow fog/mist.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those automated weather stations are notorious for reporting incorrectly regarding precipitation type in marginally cold air.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
DoctorMu

txbear wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:57 am Surprised advisories haven't gone up yet at least for the NW Territories. 35 IMBY in the western burbs. If we're already getting ice as far south as Magnolia, goodness this could be an incredible event. Definitely stay off the roads if you can and remember 4-wheel drive does not necessarily grant you free reign. If you have to drive, take it slow, easy on accelerations, turns and braking. If you have access to a bag of sand or even cardboard, that will help should you find yourself in a precarious situation.

I want to bottle this up and save it for when summer rolls around.
all snow/sleet progged. High of 19° on Monday and dropping. We're 29°F and have been below freezing for 12 hours.
DoctorMu

davidiowx wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:41 am I hope Tropikal is loving this La Nina Winter! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TropiKal/AZ/whatever has noticed in about 5 different ways.
  • Information