August 2021: Major Hurricane Ida/SE Louisiana Landfall

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Stratton20

The GFS continues to show nothing tropical threatening the gulf the next 16 days, I really find that hard to believe especially with the passage of the Active phase of the MJO next week, maybe the model needs another upgrade? Seeks like the GFS is struggling to pick up on this large scale weather feature
Rip76

Do we have haze from fires or dust?
Stratton20

Rip76 the haze you see is most likely from a fire
BlueJay

jasons2k wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:17 pm
BlueJay wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:32 am NOAA has updated its forecast calling for more storms this hurricane season. :o
Take from Space City Weather:

On Thursday NOAA released an updated version of its Atlantic season hurricane forecast and some media coverage framed it in a fairly intimidating way—suggesting the forecast had gotten "worse" or more dangerous in some way. The reality is that the forecast increased from an estimate of 13-20 named storms for this season to 15 to 21 named storms, and 6-10 hurricanes to 7 to 10 hurricanes.

This "increase" simply reflects the fact that the early season was a little more active than anticipated, and that overall nothing has changed with regard to tropical activity for the remainder of the 2021 Atlantic hurricane season. Frankly, we already knew this was going to be an active season. And as Matt wrote on Tuesday, the tropics are now heating up on schedule, with the next six to eight weeks are the time of greatest concern for Texas. Fortunately, there are no immediate threats to the Gulf of Mexico and we'll continue to take it day by day.

https://spacecityweather.com/enjoy-the- ... s-weekend/

Thanks Jasons! I guess that is somewhat comforting.
But if it just take one, it encourages me to continue to be weather aware.

I appreciate this forum..
Kingwood36

When is this damn rain suppose to stop?
Stratton20

12z ICON and CMC runs are hinting at possibly a gulf threat around 7 days from now, something to watch very carefully, 12 z Euro also hinting at a tropical wave entering the gulf around that time period as well, interesting days ahead
Scott747

For a few runs now the GFS and Euro in the long range are showing the possibility of a classic CC with 92l or the wave behind it. Longer range gets it all the way into the BoC. Nothing yet on the experimental hurricane model that I follow...

And in even longer range modeling (as if we need more, ha) the 45 day Euro for a few weeks now has a couple of major threats to the western gulf. This latest week has one each for the lower and upper Texas coast.
Stratton20

Scott747 yep latest Euro has a potential system in the Caribbean by next week, interesting days ahead
Cpv17

The 3-4 week outlook issued by the CPC today is alarming.
Stratton20

Cpv17 do you have a link? Or why is it alarming?
DoctorMu

Scattered showers from Austin getting clobbered again at the county line. The Aggiedome is back!
Stratton20

Cpv17 ah nvm I saw it on the CPC website, that is very alarming , above average precipitation in weeks 3/4 could lead to more gulf tropical mischief
DoctorMu

I’ll take some alarming Precipitation!
Stratton20

DoctorMu be careful what you wish for haha
Stratton20

Seems like the GFS is broken lol, isnt show much tropical activity the next 16 days, either this model needs a new upgrade or be prepared for a lot of surprise storms this season
DoctorMu

A summer like none other. The AggieDome surrendered... and there be whales!

OK...A greater miracle - actual August rain without a tropical system or tropical moisture. A pop up shower delivered and we're finishing about 20 minutes of rain.

Sprinklers on stun. Kirk out.
jasons2k

DoctorMu wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:51 pm A summer like none other. The AggieDome surrendered... and there be whales!

OK...A greater miracle - actual August rain without a tropical system or tropical moisture. A pop up shower delivered and we're finishing about 20 minutes of rain.

I’m glad you got some rain. Missed me here so I’ll be running the sprinklers first thing tomorrow.
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:34 pm
DoctorMu wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:51 pm A summer like none other. The AggieDome surrendered... and there be whales!

I’m glad you got some rain. Missed me here so I’ll be running the sprinklers first thing tomorrow.
Yeah - anything to take us closer to football season...

Is the pool cured and ready for filling yet?
Cpv17

Most of the rain has missed me this week. I’m thankful that we’ve gotten 2.5” of rain but other places all around me have doubled or tripled that. It was so dry here. The ground absorbed it so quickly and you couldn’t even tell it rained. No standing water anywhere. We barely got anything here the whole month of July.
jasons2k

DoctorMu wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:40 pm
jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:34 pm

Yeah - anything to take us closer to football season...

Is the pool cured and ready for filling yet?
Yes, Roger that Captain.

The gunite is cured and gunite cleanup complete. I have to say our pool company did a good job with cleanup. I’ve seen some neighbors’ jobs where they didn’t do any cleanup until the end.

Tile and plumbing/equipment go in next week. Then electrical and plaster. The decking will be last. Still a few weeks away from filling but we’re making progress.
  • Information