March 2022

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
captainbarbossa19

djmike wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:54 am We sure didn’t see that 90% chance for rain in Beaumont this morning. Few sprinkles and that was it. Im ready for a gully washer! Haven’t had a good rain in a while. Have a feeling tomorrow’s 90% will be a dud too like they have been all winter.
Hopefully the Euro is right about rainfall amounts. It has around 1 inch while the GFS has near 0 for our area. Unfortunately, March has a tendency to be dry, but sometimes it does not go with that trend. We need rain so I am hoping the Euro is right.
DoctorMu

Stratton20 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:33 am Fingers crossed for the storm system to shift further south, even a minor snow event to close out “ winter” would be awesome🥶
A good way to kick off Spring Break. 8-)
DoctorMu

I'm going with a drizzle tomorrow instead of substantial rain. I haven't planted jack yet, so we're good.

Didn't really mind the cooler weather today. Going walking with our dog now. She's a Lab and LOVES this weather.

I noticed the grackles and mosquito hawk arrival is about 3 weeks late. Not as late as last year, but not by much. They know this (Texas) winter isn't quite done yet!
Cpv17

Wind chill readings late Friday and into Saturday morning will be in the teens and twenties!
Stratton20

DoctoMu wouldn't that be awesome? Was planning on going to canyon lake for the weekend but I wont mind rescheduelinf that for a few days😄
Iceresistance

I'm expecting more snow Friday, Winter is not giving up yet.
jasons2k

Ummm. Thought the heaviest rain was supposed to be south of I-10?
Attachments
EEB795A9-D378-4A7F-BD13-B963387AD792.png
Stratton20

Lol so much for that, I wasnt expecting much of anything here
Cromagnum

jasons2k wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:19 am Ummm. Thought the heaviest rain was supposed to be south of I-10?
Forecast is wrong as usual. I don't know what's been going on lately, but it feels like quite a few of these have been way off.
jasons2k

Update from Jeff:
Coastal low has formed off the lower TX coast this morning and this feature is brining moisture northward and over top of the surface cold dome in place over the region. Numerous showers and thunderstorms have develop from near I-10 and have moved northward and organized into a loosely defined complex along and just north of the 850mb front. This feature is about 1-2 counties further north than expected yesterday and much of the rainfall this morning has focused along and north of a line from Columbus to Hempstead to Conroe to Lake Livingston. Automated rain gages have shown totals of .50-1.2 inches has fallen from northern Waller much of Montgomery and into northern Liberty and San Jacinto Counties.

Expect numerous showers and thunderstorms to continue through midday along the stalled 850mb front as the coastal low moves east across the Gulf waters south of Matagorda Bay and Galveston. Lift will begin to weaken this afternoon and expect showers and thunderstorms to gradually weaken and shift eastward this time. Since rainfall totals are already approaching expected forecasted values from yesterday, will need to bump totals up to 1-2 inches with maybe an isolated 2.5 inches from Waller to Montgomery to San Jacinto Counties where ongoing activity is greatest and cell training is somewhat pronounced. Dry ground should absorb much of this rainfall although some ponding in areas of poor drainage will be possible.

Further southward some additional showers may develop closer to the coast as the coastal low passes to the south, but the better focus appears to be further inland near the 850mb boundary.

Late Week:
Arctic front still expected to arrive on Friday and will result in a significant cool down across the region. Temperatures will tumble on Friday with strong cold air advection, gusty northerly winds, and clouds, likely falling into the 40’s for much of the area and even the upper 30’s for the NW areas during the day. Lingering showers will be possible in the post frontal air mass and a bit of sleet might mix with the rain around the College Station and Huntsville areas Friday.

Widespread freeze still looks likely for Saturday morning and possibly again on Sunday morning with lows in the upper 20’s and low 30’s Saturday morning and low 30’s Sunday morning.

Jeff Lindner
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:19 am Ummm. Thought the heaviest rain was supposed to be south of I-10?
I blew my prediction, too. :lol: We're getting entrained up here north of Hwy 1*5 with moderate rain and T-storms.

Looks like I'll be putting down weed and feed in the back yard this afternoon, after putting it down in the front a few days ago.
jasons2k

DoctorMu wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:59 am
I blew my prediction, too. :lol: We're getting entrained up here north of Hwy 1*5 with moderate rain and T-storms.

Looks like I'll be putting down weed and feed in the back yard this afternoon, after putting it down in the front a few days ago.
Landscapers like Randy Lemmon highly recommend staying away from “weed and feed” products as they indiscriminately also harm your trees and shrubs. It’s a toxic herbicide. They recommend sticking with a pre-emergent treatment and then spot-treating for weeds as-needed.

https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/garden ... scare-you/
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:08 am
DoctorMu wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:59 am

Landscapers like Randy Lemmon highly recommend staying away from “weed and feed” products as they indiscriminately also harm your trees and shrubs. It’s a toxic herbicide. They recommend sticking with a pre-emergent treatment and then spot-treating for weeds as-needed.

https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/garden ... scare-you/

Yeah - I have the best recommended pre-emergence in the business. It's not getting the job done. I can't spray Roundup on the yard. St Augustine is a domesticated weed.

I don't use Scott's weed and Feed because it kills the grass, too. Sta Green has the best fertilizer and Weed and Feed for our use. 2% iron fortified for our alkaline water conditions.

Horticulture can be tough where you are, but we have to deal with

- alkaline water and soil
- the gray clay soil here
- lack of rain in the summer (annual drought)
- brutally hot conditions day after day with the sun beating down in the summer
Cpv17

That’s disappointing about the rain today. Areas up north are getting drenched. Hardly anything down here. Thought we would get at least a 1/4 inch.
Cromagnum

Gonna be a long summer if we are already dried out.
djmike

What is it about winter time and getting mostly mist? Thats all weve gotten last several winters it seems like.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
captainbarbossa19

Cromagnum wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:19 pm Gonna be a long summer if we are already dried out.
Not necessarily. Remember, last year was mostly dry until about April and May. Historically, March is one of the driest months of the year for our area. Sometimes, the pattern turns wetter later into spring.
jasons2k

The pool is just steaming away as the heat slowly gets sucked out. Such a waste of that sun we had over the weekend. These days of 45 degrees and dreary is for the birds. Can’t wait for April and that first 90 degree day. It will get here quick after this.
Stratton20

And I cant wait till next winter, aint nobody got time for 90’s!😆🤣🤣
captainbarbossa19

jasons2k wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:31 pm The pool is just steaming away as the heat slowly gets sucked out. Such a waste of that sun we had over the weekend. These days of 45 degrees and dreary is for the birds. Can’t wait for April and that first 90 degree day. It will get here quick after this.
I would prefer a good two months of spring first before we start having 90s though. Haha!
  • Information