More cold air on the way next week!?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
snowman65

Okay..it is officially SNOWING in Orange right now. Looking out of my window at work..I am south of I-10 even. Mostly rain still but there are some nice sized flakes mixed in and getting a little heavier every few minutes.......I don't believe it....but I see it.......wow
redneckweather

I need a confirmation if their is snow still on the ground up towards Madisonville? If anyone knows, let me know. I will hop in my truck and head up to my ranch to take pics if their is still snow on the ground.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Long-range models are suggesting another "interesting event" next Friday/Saturday. Could involve snow in Texas or Louisiana. Now I didn't say they're forecasting the event, just suggesting it, meaning I don't think they have a good handle on the energy coming south next week yet.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

redneckweather wrote:I need a confirmation if their is snow still on the ground up towards Madisonville? If anyone knows, let me know. I will hop in my truck and head up to my ranch to take pics if their is still snow on the ground.
Probably gone, but you never know...

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX
432 AM CST FRI FEB 12 2010

..TIME.. ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE.. ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION.. ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0325 AM SNOW MADISONVILLE 30.95N 95.91W
02/12/2010 E2.5 INCH MADISON TX BROADCAST MEDIA

BURST OF MODERATE SNOW WITH LARGE FLAKES. EARLIER SNOW
TOTAL OF 2.5 INCHES ON THE GROUND AROUND MIDNIGHT BUT
HAD MELTED BY 300 AM ON ROADS AND THINNED ON OPEN
GROUND. A FEW CARS OFF THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Portastorm

wxman57 wrote:Long-range models are suggesting another "interesting event" next Friday/Saturday. Could involve snow in Texas or Louisiana. Now I didn't say they're forecasting the event, just suggesting it, meaning I don't think they have a good handle on the energy coming south next week yet.
You better get me my snow! Five minutes of sleet the other day and a dozen snow flurries back in December ain't gonna cut it. :(
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

When Porta speaks... he is really meaning it now WxMan57....:)
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

tireman4 wrote:When Porta speaks... he is really meaning it now WxMan57....:)
On closer inspection of those long-range models, I do see possible snow for Houston but highs in the low 90s for Austin. Too bad!
snowman65

wxman57 wrote:
On closer inspection of those long-range models, I do see possible snow for Houston but highs in the low 90s for Austin. Too bad!
Careful....alot of people would drive to Austin for that right now........ :D
Portastorm

wxman57 wrote:
Who knew professional meteorologists could be so dang funny?! :lol:

Well, if those models verify, you can come over here and do all the bike riding you want!
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ed Mahmoud wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Long-range models are suggesting another "interesting event" next Friday/Saturday. Could involve snow in Texas or Louisiana. Now I didn't say they're forecasting the event, just suggesting it, meaning I don't think they have a good handle on the energy coming south next week yet.

You got any model images, ie, weather pr0n, for those of us who like to see interesting potentially weather images?
Nope, just hints.
don

The Euro looked very interesting late next week (showing another strong high coming out of canada with a trough out to the west...) and the Canadian loooked interesting allso for late next weekend...
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Perhaps a new Topic is in order as things are looking interesting in the next Thurday through Sunday time frame...

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

snowman65 wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
Wow, now that would be something. Snow in Houston and 90's in Austin. The Cockroach Ridge would be coming back, eh Porta?
Portastorm

Exactly tireman!

The High Pressure Cockroach Ridge of Death ... I just can't get away from it. ;)
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ed Mahmoud wrote:I believe it was 1994, 99ºF one day, and one week later, ice.

I was so hoping for the one and only 100ºF day in AUS February history.

I saw snow accumulate slushily on the newly elevated section of highway (was it 183) in December 1996.

I have never seen snow accumulate on any road surface in HOU.
During the 1989 snow event I was trying to drive home from between Hobby Airport area and just south of the Galleria without going over any icy bridges. Somehow I ended up on Richmond near Montrose but I couldn't tell which way I was heading with all the wind and snow blowing around. Had to get out of the car and assess the wind direction to know which way to go to get home. Streets didn't have significant snow on them such that my car left tracks in the snow, but it was an adventure driving home in the storm. I believe I remember that later on that day the streets did have snow on them.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

They did in 1973...the January 11 snow.....in La Marque
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ed Mahmoud wrote:My birthday is March 1st, and a snow day would be the best present a boy ever had!

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... p_384m.gif
That day 15 panel of the GFS has been known to be accurate once every decade or two.
snowman65

wxman57 wrote:
Ed Mahmoud wrote:My birthday is March 1st, and a snow day would be the best present a boy ever had!

That day 15 panel of the GFS has been known to be accurate once every decade or two.
SOO...has it been a decade since last time it was right??? :lol:...maybe it's due......
don

:lol: Not quiet a decade yet as the last time it was right for something that far out was the Christmas 2004 smowstorm...FWIW
But anyway I would like to see the GFS latch on to a winterstorm like the euro before i start buying into snything.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

wxman57 wrote:

With this winter Wxman...ya never know... :D
  • Information