November Weather Discussion. Rollercoaster Pattern.

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I checked a RUC sounding for Lufkin area (north of Livingston a bit) and the profile shows the freezing level way up at 10,000 ft (700mb) with a narrow band of moisture centered there. It would be unlikely that sleet would fall with such a profile. I have seen a station in the Livingston area that frequently reports sleet when it's just not possible. Could be a bad ASOS report. With such warm temps below 10,000 ft, it just doesn't seem possible that sleet could reach the ground if it formed at all.

srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, a neighbor who is up at the lake this morning called a while ago and said sleet is falling mixed with some light rain. I'll take his observation as legit. ;)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Here's another sounding for the Livingston area. It indicates all moisture is below the freezing level in the above-freezing air. Sleet would be quite unlikely with such a vertical temperature and moisture profile. I guess it's possible that there is a tiny pocket of sub-freezing air passing by that the RUC model doesn't see.

srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, he is in Onalaska and is weather savvy, so I don't doubt the report.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

I posted this in the December thread but it goes here - I saw sleet this morning with my own two eyes!!

At 7:50 this morning, it was 52 degrees outside........and sleeting.

It only lasted for about 30 seconds, but I was sitting at a stoplight on Riley Fuzzel road and sleet pellets starting pinging on my car. Not slushy either - they were rock solid sleet pellets. And just as quickly as it started....it stopped.

Pretty amazing stuff - that's for sure!
  • Information