July 2024

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Rip76

I see some popcorn out there today.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

This was expected. A diffused front coupled with upper air dynamics ( high PWATs and sea breeze) will give us chances all day.
Attachments
KHGX_loop.gif
KHGX_loop.gif (402.61 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
jasons2k

NWS had raised my rain chances to 70% today. I was banking on not having to water anything but it looks like it may stay south of me.
Texashawk

Got a fast 3” and counting in Sienna. We told our kids this was a storm preview 😬
Pas_Bon

3” in under an hour in League City.
Most lightning I’ve seen in a long time.

Thankfully, Central TX and the Hill Country is getting some much needed rain today.
Rip76

Nothing here today in the Woodlands, but I’ll certainly take the cloud cover.
DoctorMu

Nothing here either, but from Caldwell through the Hill Country saw some rain.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

First band
Attachments
KHGX_loop.gif
KHGX_loop.gif (589.36 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
CrashTestDummy

tireman4 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:35 pm This was expected. A diffused front coupled with upper air dynamics ( high PWATs and sea breeze) will give us chances all day.
We got rain from that while putting up the hurricane screens on Saturday. Came in to wait for it to pass. It hung around for a long time. Got yet more rain while trying to finish the screen install on Sunday. Weren’t under the front porch roof so got completely drenched. Figured on just working through it, we were already soaked, until a flash-BANG. We both promptly dropped what we were doing and ran inside. Luckily, that didn’t last long so we could finish.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
suprdav2

No power here in Cypress since 7am. Center point told my nextdoor neighbor who's on medical equipment that it might be a few days for our area to get back up.

Wonderful........
MontgomeryCoWx

Counting down the days to Fall
Team #NeverSummer
Stratton20

Should have a good week of hot but dry weather, bur already models are starting to show another weakness in the ridge developing over the state in 8-9 days, maybe a weak cut off upper low that could reintroduce rain chances
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:57 pm Should have a good week of hot but dry weather, bur already models are starting to show another weakness in the ridge developing over the state in 8-9 days, maybe a weak cut off upper low that could reintroduce rain chances
I’m not sure how much rain we had here from Beryl. Rain gauge stops at 5” and it was full to the top, but the ground soaked it up like nothing. There’s no standing water anywhere to be found, and I can walk through the yard and not even sink in one bit. That’s how dry it was out here. In a week or two we will need another rain out here.
Rip76

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:48 pm Counting down the days to Fall
Me too
don

Cpv17 wrote:
Stratton20 wrote: Should have a good week of hot but dry weather, bur already models are starting to show another weakness in the ridge developing over the state in 8-9 days, maybe a weak cut off upper low that could reintroduce rain chances
I’m not sure how much rain we had here from Beryl. Rain gauge stops at 5” and it was full to the top, but the ground soaked it up like nothing. There’s no standing water anywhere to be found, and I can walk through the yard and not even sink in one bit. That’s how dry it was out here. In a week or two we will need another rain out here.
Some of that could also be sublimation from the strong winds on the dry backside of Beryl.
don

Well looks like I'm officially moving to Wichita Falls around the 15th of September.Which means I'm now going to be here in Bay City until the peak of hurricane season.I was hoping to be up there earlier in the summer to avoid any TC's this year. 😒
Stratton20

Don looks like mother nature wants you to stick around in town a bit longer lol
Cpv17

don wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:36 pm Well looks like I'm officially moving to Wichita Falls around the 15th of September.Which means I'm now going to be here in Bay City until the peak of hurricane season.I was hoping to be up there earlier in the summer to avoid any TC's this year. 😒
And there’s nothing to do in Bay City compared to being in The Heights.
don

Cpv17 wrote:
don wrote: Well looks like I'm officially moving to Wichita Falls around the 15th of September.Which means I'm now going to be here in Bay City until the peak of hurricane season.I was hoping to be up there earlier in the summer to avoid any TC's this year. 😒
I know...😒 I am enjoying how quiet it is though.And some of the area is more scenic than I expected (including Wharton).(Le Tulle Park as an example in Bay City) Gonna try to make the most of it, and hopefully no more TC's. I'm afraid Texas may see another one or two storms this season as the pattern that caused Beryl to hit us (Troughing over the plains) looks to continue on and off for maybe the rest of Summer.I think the several forecast that showed Texas being a target this season will verify...
Cpv17

don wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:18 pm
Cpv17 wrote:
don wrote: Well looks like I'm officially moving to Wichita Falls around the 15th of September.Which means I'm now going to be here in Bay City until the peak of hurricane season.I was hoping to be up there earlier in the summer to avoid any TC's this year. 😒
I know...😒 I am enjoying how quiet it is though.And some of the area is more scenic than I expected (including Wharton).(Le Tulle Park as an example in Bay City) Gonna try to make the most of it, and hopefully no more TC's. I'm afraid Texas may see another one or two storms this season as the pattern that caused Beryl to hit us (Troughing over the plains) looks to continue on and off for maybe the rest of Summer.I think the several forecast that showed Texas being a target this season will verify...
If you like Mexican food La Casona is pretty good in Bay City. K2 Steakhouse is popular there, but I don’t really care much for it. If you like burgers 9’ers isn’t bad. Other than that the food selection is pretty mid.
  • Information