Hurricane Beryl

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
CrashTestDummy

dp6 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:23 am ABC 13 studio lost power about 15 minutes ago and switched to generators. Briefly. Then their broadcast crashed and have gone to the national feed since.

Guess they didn't listen to Travis Herzog on the importance of properly maintaining their backup power system....
OR starting it?

One of the people my wife works with said they. struggled to start the generator they got for the occasion, but finally got it. fired up. Seems they didn't do any dry-runs beforehand. :o :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
Rip76

So many trees down in the Woodlands.
DoctorMu

Rip76 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:07 pm So many trees down in the Woodlands.
Sorry to hear that. In CLL things have been getting real the last couple of hours N40 G60. Propped up the fence on one side. Some branched are broken. If this keeps up much longer there will be more trees down.

Power is out for part of College Station. We're lucky so far.

I mean, and this is the wrap around west side! Huntsville and Madisonville get getting pounded

My class is in applied science/biomechanics - so I took the opportunity to introduce the fluid drag equation.

Fd = 1/2Cd • Ap • rho • v[sqr]

So, air velocity is a power function. Therefore, the strength of 80 mph hurricane winds is FOUR times greater than a TS with 40 mph winds. Y'all are seing this for real.

When Beryl’s winds were 160 mph the force generated by the wind was 4X greater than at 80 mph and 16X greater than 40 mph. Imagine a storm 16X more forceful than our tropical storm conditions!

To calculate energy we would integrate the proportional change in velocity.

If Fd = v[sqr], then Energy = C + 1/3∆v[cubed]

So Beryl as a 160 mph cat 5 had winds that produced 21/3X more energy than 40 mph TS winds.

The N40 G60 winds we've been seeing in CLL late this morning and early this afternoon are enough for me! Wow, that last gust was close to 70 mph (Jim Cantore kneeling)

I can't imagine E70 G 90 near the coast.
MontgomeryCoWx

Besides wanting rain, this is why I wanted the storm to hit Seadrift and run up our way.

Rural counties are much better prepared to handle something like this from a cleanup and electricity perspective.

Now we have some stalled commerce and heat and misery for a few days in the city, and that can end poorly.
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:35 pm Besides wanting rain, this is why I wanted the storm to hit Seadrift and run up our way.

Rural counties are much better prepared to handle something like this from a cleanup and electricity perspective.

Now we have some stalled commerce and heat and misery for a few days in the city, and that can end poorly.
After things subside, I'm hitting HEB because distribution will be disrupted for days.

The Aggies are still in that rural mode. A&M isn't a 4500 Corps only institution, it's 75,000 students with the concrete, runoff, and construction that accompany 250,000 living in BCS and 400K in the "metro" area.

Holy ***** - wind reversal and 70 mph gust there! lol
jasons2k

Looks like Beryl decoupled at it crossed into Montgomery County earlier. Things are slowly starting to wind-down here.
Tx2005

In Humble, still no power and the fence is leaning pretty bad, which I assume will need to be replaced. I found some shingles in my yard but haven’t found where on my roof they came from. Hope the roof damage is minimal.
TxLady

Lost power in New Waverly, around 10:00 am. Our little 1 "stop light" town got hit pretty hard. Completely tore the roof off of our Auto Supply store, snapped light poles, LOTS of trees down. But, we live in the National Forest, so I guess the trees are to be expected. Overall, me and my family came out unscathed. Ever so thankful for the generator! Hoping everyone else has a speedy and easy recovery!
djmike

IMG_2265.jpeg
IMG_2265.jpeg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 6491 times
Well, tree fell on house and damage in Beaumont . Not fun anymore.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
DoctorMu

That big slowdown around 1:30 am when Beryl was just offshore was a killer/ landfall wasn't until 3:55 am. that nearly 2.5 hours allowed Beryl to take a big gulp of the high energy drink just off the coast.

Things are starting to chill, but just had a 55-60 mph gust. There's evidently a lot of wind damage around town. Aggies seemed to be stunned. It's just physics. Hopefully, there are no injuries. I saw 2 people were killed by falling trees on their homes in Houston. Yikes.
Stratton20

Hope everyone is doing well and no serious injuries ir damage occurred! Im really just amazed at how i didn’t lose power with the eye going directly over me, i really hope Beryl isnt a precursor for whats to come in the gulf in august-september
DoctorMu

djmike wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:54 pm IMG_2265.jpeg

Well, tree fell on house and damage in Beaumont . Not fun anymore.
That sucks. My wife's brother in Houston had a tree fall on this breaker box and house during Ike. It took months to restore full power to the house and fix the roof.
MontgomeryCoWx

DoctorMu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:41 pm
MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:35 pm Besides wanting rain, this is why I wanted the storm to hit Seadrift and run up our way.

After things subside, I'm hitting HEB because distribution will be disrupted for days.

The Aggies are still in that rural mode. A&M isn't a 4500 Corps only institution, it's 75,000 students with the concrete, runoff, and construction that accompany 250,000 living in BCS and 400K in the "metro" area.

BCS is Austin 1980, when Austin was at its peak (1980-2000ish).

Let’s just hope BCS caps growth and construction soon so it doesn’t become the cesspool Austin 2024 is.

With that said, the student body is still a giving/helping one overall. Lots of good exurbia and rural kids still attend.
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:35 pm

Let’s just hope BCS caps growth and construction soon so it doesn’t become the cesspool Austin 2024 is.

With that said, the student body is still a giving/helping one overall. Lots of good exurbia and rural kids still attend.
The students and faculty at A&M are the greatest. We had some trouble with administrators for a while, but somehow we were able to fire them all from Division Head, Department Head, Dean, Provost, President, AD, Jimbo... and John Sharp is finally resigning (although the damage he caused is immense).

It was a bloodless coup. ;)
brazoriatx

I guess we're allowing a redo for the next storm from wxman57 😉
MontgomeryCoWx

DoctorMu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:55 pm

The students and faculty at A&M are the greatest. We had some trouble with administrators for a while, but somehow we were able to fire them all from Division Head, Department Head, Dean, Provost, President, AD, Jimbo... and John Sharp is finally resigning (although the damage he caused is immense).

When I heard Sharp was retiring and Earley was retaining the whole baseball team on the same day, I let out the deepest jovial laugh in sometime.

College Administration are blood suckers for the most part. Absolutely irrelevant to the success of a student. :lol:
Team #NeverSummer
MontgomeryCoWx

brazoriatx wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:59 pm I guess we're allowing a redo for the next storm from wxman57 😉
Y'all may send a strong, slow moving, WIDE Tropical Storm my way next time. I only ask for a foot of rain in August. :lol:
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:00 pm
DoctorMu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:55 pm

When I heard Sharp was retiring and Earley was retaining the whole baseball team on the same day, I let out the deepest jovial laugh in sometime.

College Administration are blood suckers for the most part. Absolutely irrelevant to the success of a student. :lol:
I love that virtually all the baseball players came back off the portal. That says a lot about the team, Earley, Schloss, and t.u.

I love to visit Austin, but would not want to deal the the traffic FUBAR on a daily basis. Terry Black's and Franklin BBQ as well as ACL, museums, hiking in the nearby Hill country are worth the drive.
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:01 pm
brazoriatx wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:59 pm I guess we're allowing a redo for the next storm from wxman57 😉
Y'all may send a strong, slow moving, WIDE Tropical Storm my way next time. I only ask for a foot of rain in August. :lol:
A nice wide storm that landfalls south and doesn't take a fill-up break before finally landing. Break up the August heat dome and take us into football season.

I think Elko is going to shock the world again. I like the schedule with big games at home and no Bama, even without Saban. What Elko did with 2* and 3* players, a thin team with key players in the M*A*S*H unit, at Duke is amazing. They had Notre Dame dead to rights and Florida State and UNC on the ropes in 2023. Averaging 8 win series, two bowls in two years.

Elko's organization skills are elite and he'll instill a work ethic well beyond our opponents. His teams are aggressive. The Aggie faithful will love it. We'll be shocked that the OL is actually talented. Jimbo got so little out of so much! :lol:
don

Still without power here, and just got cellular service back. The building next to me had a wall failure last night with bricks everywhere. A lot of trees down and large limbs. But it’s less damage than what I saw in the Heights during the May Derecho.
  • Information