February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Baseballdude2915

You know, when I take another look at that band near San Antonio, its going much more North than East. Chances are slim.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

training north... moving east. Plus with just this drizzle look how bad it is. Can you imiagine what that band may do?
helloitsb

pro mets or anyone that would know, any reason why the pavement outside my house, porch in the back and street and sidewalks isn't freezing up? I have to wonder what is going on, dewpoint is 27 temp is 27 really strange, unless there hasn't been enough time to freeze (although we have been almost below freezing since Tuesday morning so idk
biggerbyte

singlemom wrote:
biggerbyte wrote:Folks, I have a surprise for you:

http://www.corad.org/texas_radar.htm

Let us see if that trend continues.
As in that band west of SA and Austin is growing? And is the Low still to the west of West Texas, and will the move through as well? Thanks!

*Edit* Baseballdude answered my question (Pretty much). But ooooh...that means snow on top of a layer of ice (well, all I see right now is water on my front porch and pretty dry streets.....)

Yes!!! :)

Folks, it is just a radar return. It promises nothing, including amounts one might get. What it is, is just about the best shot at snow we are going to get from this event.
djjordan

It's solid ice here in SGR .... do not underestimate this event ......
~~~When Thunder Roars Go Indoors~~~
~~~Turn Around Don't Drown~~~
~~~Run From The Water, Hide From The Wind~~~
HouTXmetro

that band is increasing in intensity, and expanding wider and more south as it moves east. looking good!
biggerbyte

Side note, is that it may not even hold together and bring snow to this area. We will just have to watch for trends. Let us not get our hopes up. However, once all of this passes by, that is it. No more chances. So far we have been nearly surrounded by winter fun. It is almost like S.E. Texas has an invisible shield over it. Lol
helloitsb

HouTXmetro wrote:that band is increasing in intensity, and expanding wider and more south as it moves east. looking good!
yup looks like the gulf is feeding it the moisture we need, on CBS watching some show I'd rather not but they are feeding info at the bottom and sticking to 1"-3" which I find strange
TexasBreeze

Helloitsb the same is happening around my house and street, they're all liquid. But the landscaping rocks on the ground in my yard are covered in ice. Maybe the remnant heat under the streets is keeping them above freezing?
1/8th in or so ice accum on trucks, grass, and bushes keepa adding up.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

Biggerbyte- I'd be REALLY careful when you say it's over after that band. theres still a low to our west, remember?
HouTXmetro

biggerbyte wrote:Side note, is that it may not even hold together and bring snow to this area. We will just have to watch for trends. Let us not get our hopes up. However, once all of this passes by, that is it. No more chances. So far we have been nearly surrounded by winter fun. It is almost like S.E. Texas has an invisible shield over it. Lol
Maybe not, but you have to admit that it is getting more impressive as it moves towards us.
helloitsb

TexasBreeze wrote:Helloitsb the same is happening around my house and street, they're all liquid. But the landscaping rocks on the ground in my yard are covered in ice. Maybe the remnant heat under the streets is keeping them above freezing?
1/8th in or so ice accum on trucks, grass, and bushes keepa adding up.
yup EVERYTHING is iced except the cement if everything is gonna be iced here I want the streets to be iced
Mr. T

biggerbyte wrote:Side note, is that it may not even hold together and bring snow to this area. We will just have to watch for trends. Let us not get our hopes up. However, once all of this passes by, that is it. No more chances. So far we have been nearly surrounded by winter fun. It is almost like S.E. Texas has an invisible shield over it. Lol
And the ice and traffic accidents around the area are fake?

I'd say this is enough winter fun for us... This is not what we needed.
djjordan

listening in right now at HFD .... numerous accidents are occuring Beltway 8 is requesting to be shut down due to ice .... This is becoming a dangerous situation quickly
wxman666

Mr. T wrote:
And the ice and traffic accidents around the area are fake?

I'd say this is enough winter fun for us... This is not what we needed.
Agreed Mr. T. This is not fun anymore and has gotten ridiculous.
Ready for severe weather season!!
Mr. T

Moderate snow in San Antonio right now.

This is likely a nearly convective band of snow within the coldest air of the upper low that will push across the area later this morning... This will be very interesting to watch.
djjordan

Mr. T wrote:Moderate snow in San Antonio right now.

This is likely a nearly convective band of snow within the coldest air of the upper low that will push across the area later this morning... This will be very interesting to watch.
Let me know how that progresses Tyler ...... I am going to be monitoring traffic and what not throughout the night ..... Ice is becoming a huge issue.
helloitsb

looks like an over turned TXDot truck?
vci_guy2003

Mr. T, is there a chance that the gap between us and the band fills in more and we start to get snow sooner rather than later?
vci_guy2003

Helloit, where are you getting those transtar feeds?
  • Information