May 2024

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
DoctorMu

Cromagnum wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:07 pm Looks like it's ride or die in Houston with Hurricane season. I turned town the job offer in NC. The VP and I just couldn't come to terms, and he got upset that I was actually trying to negotiate after he made the initial offer. Said "it's late in the game to negotiate". That was a big turn off for me since he knew where I stood from day 1 talking to him 2 months ago. If you get emotional with me as a prospective hire, what's it like when I'm on the books?
Sorry to hear that. Yeah, that's a red flag if there is consternation before the contract is even signed.

Of course...I could put up with a lot to move back to NC! It might have been a harder decision if you'd been through a typical summer when it's in the upper 80s most days and rains every 2-3 days. The sprinkler system is off. The A/C bill isn't too bad. And then experience one of those long, gorgeous Carolina Indian Summers all through the fall season...you might think...if the boss ****** me off, I'll just go play golf. :lol:
Last edited by DoctorMu on Fri May 17, 2024 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:49 pm
Cpv17 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:26 pm
Stratton20 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:14 pm Cpv17 well when you have widespread serious damage all across houston the last thing you need is more rain, hope youre area gets some, but as a whole se texas just needs to get a break from the active pattern so that the clean up process isn’t slown down
It needs to just rain south of I-10 now. I-10 and north needs a break for 2-3 weeks. I think the severe stuff is cool and all, but only when it doesn’t do serious damage or claim lives. There’s some people (like myself) that can’t help ourselves. We’re adrenaline junkies when it comes to crazy weather. Reed Timmer and other storm chasers and probably a couple of other people on this board are the same way. You’re scared of it, I understand, but some of us love it, just not the severe damage and loss of life. Whenever I get a bad storm at my place, I’ll literally go back n forth from the front porch and back porch to watch it and get really hyped up like I’m about to play in a football game. It’s crazy.
I know how you feel. I was like that 100% until Ike. That was genuinely scary.

You mentioned before you haven’t had winds like 80mph+ at your place before. Perhaps if you experience true hurricane force winds and the adrenaline rush becomes something else (actual fear), your perspective may change some day.
Totally fair. I kind of already know what would be my limits and what would scare me. I never want to take a direct hit from category 3 or higher. I’d like to experience a solid cat 1 or low 2 but not anything more than that. Tropical Storm Frances back in 1998 is a big reason why I became interested in the weather. That was the worst storm I’ve ever experienced in my life and the closest thing I’ve ever experienced to hurricane force winds. It was an incredible experience for me.
DoctorMu

Yeah - yesterday was a sustained EF1/2 tornado in H-town. Prayers to the families who lost loved ones.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad that most folks are ok and our Weather Community was active during the event. I just saw the the NWS and the SPC have officially declared yesterday's event as a Derecho. That was exactly what I was thinking as I watched radar and satalite imagery yesterday afternoon and evening.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

jasons2k wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:27 pm Watch this band
I was pretty darn close to ground zero. That arc I circled had me concerned starting late morning.
DoctorMu

download copy 34.jpg
download copy 34.jpg (7.19 KiB) Viewed 700 times
srainhoutx wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:41 pm Glad that most folks are ok and our Weather Community was active during the event. I just saw the the NWS and the SPC have officially declared yesterday's event as a Derecho. That was exactly what I was thinking as I watched radar and satalite imagery yesterday afternoon and evening.
Herzog on ABC13 stated there is an estimated $5B in damage in the Houston area. The path went all the way to Florida.
don

Still without power here. Thank goodness it isn’t hot today. Here some more pics from the neighborhood.(Heights)
Attachments
IMG_0284.jpeg
IMG_0284.jpeg (6.3 MiB) Viewed 691 times
IMG_0276.jpeg
IMG_0276.jpeg (5.27 MiB) Viewed 691 times
IMG_0274.jpeg
IMG_0274.jpeg (4.07 MiB) Viewed 691 times
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:40 am
tireman4 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:13 am The downdrafts from last night.
If I could understand that, I’d be a rich man. Unfortunately, that’s well beyond my brain.
W = wind (downdraft)

P = pressure

It says that the greater the downdraft, then the greater the pressure at the ground level. The air can't go anywhere because of the ground, and unlike water (which is incompressible), air is adiabatic (meaning it can be squeezed or compressed). That high pressure at the bottom of the fast moving bow echo supercell turned Derecho forms a pressure gradient, which generates CAT 1-2 level wind gusts horizontally away from the downdraft. Because the storm is moving fast, the wind gusts were even higher in front of the downdraft (125-130 mph gusts at the peak). Hope that makes sense.

When I saw the bow echo form between Austin and College Station with vortices imbedded it sure looked liked trouble.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... explained/
don

IMG_0288.jpeg
IMG_0288.jpeg (4.67 MiB) Viewed 683 times
IMG_0287.jpeg
IMG_0287.jpeg (3.87 MiB) Viewed 683 times
IMG_0289.jpeg
IMG_0289.jpeg (6.38 MiB) Viewed 683 times
Stratton20

Next week looks like its a battle of the heat ridge trying to expand north vs disturbances trying to cut across the state bringing more rain, hopefully the ridge wins
spadilly

Another line blowing through Richmond/Sugar Land now. Tons of cloud to ground lightning.
Cromagnum

Up here at the Brooks and Dunn concert in the Woodlands. Hope that line stays south.
spadilly

Cromagnum wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:21 pm Up here at the Brooks and Dunn concert in the Woodlands. Hope that line stays south.
It finally rains on our side of town and you aren’t around. ;)
Cpv17

That line just blew up to my south and east. Just missed me by about 5 miles :roll:
Cromagnum

spadilly wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:32 pm
Cromagnum wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:21 pm Up here at the Brooks and Dunn concert in the Woodlands. Hope that line stays south.
It finally rains on our side of town and you aren’t around. ;)
I was around for it all morning. The heavy stuff is north of me right now.
ajurcat

Ok, I'm a totally weather unknown but I do follow your posts. Do models not pick up on events like this? I'm aware this was like a Cat 2 hurricane dropping suddenly. Was this a 'once in the moment' craziness? I
DoctorMu

I had not checked until this afternoon, but we had gusts of 62 mph during yesterday's storm. I had to clean a little debris in the backyard and found a drainspout next to the fence.

Unfortunately, the supercell was just warming up.
Cpv17

DoctorMu wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:16 pm
Cpv17 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:40 am
tireman4 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:13 am The downdrafts from last night.
If I could understand that, I’d be a rich man. Unfortunately, that’s well beyond my brain.
W = wind (downdraft)

P = pressure

It says that the greater the downdraft, then the greater the pressure at the ground level. The air can't go anywhere because of the ground, and unlike water (which is incompressible), air is adiabatic (meaning it can be squeezed or compressed). That high pressure at the bottom of the fast moving bow echo supercell turned Derecho forms a pressure gradient, which generates CAT 1-2 level wind gusts horizontally away from the downdraft. Because the storm is moving fast, the wind gusts were even higher in front of the downdraft (125-130 mph gusts at the peak). Hope that makes sense.

When I saw the bow echo form between Austin and College Station with vortices imbedded it sure looked liked trouble.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... explained/
Kinda helped, thanks lol
jasons2k

Cromagnum wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:07 pm Looks like it's ride or die in Houston with Hurricane season. I turned town the job offer in NC. The VP and I just couldn't come to terms, and he got upset that I was actually trying to negotiate after he made the initial offer. Said "it's late in the game to negotiate". That was a big turn off for me since he knew where I stood from day 1 talking to him 2 months ago. If you get emotional with me as a prospective hire, what's it like when I'm on the books?
I’ve worked with a lot of different management styles in my career. You most definitely made the right call to pass on this.
His behavior was unprofessional.
Good leaders would *expect* a solid candidate to counter.

The guy you interviewed with seemed more concerned with his own career and his assignment to get a lab up and running than he was with you.

Move on. Especially for a relocation thing? No man, be 100% sure about it. You made the right decision and good luck with whatever happens next for you.
Cromagnum

jasons2k wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:58 am
I’ve worked with a lot of different management styles in my career. You most definitely made the right call to pass on this.
His behavior was unprofessional.
Good leaders would *expect* a solid candidate to counter.

The guy you interviewed with seemed more concerned with his own career and his assignment to get a lab up and running than he was with you.

Move on. Especially for a relocation thing? No man, be 100% sure about it. You made the right decision and good luck with whatever happens next for you.
Thanks, and 100% agree with you. I'm at peace with my decision. If this was another gig across town in Houston, I'd probably already be on boarding. To move 1000 miles away, it's gotta be a lock across the board.
  • Information